Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'teacher'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Immigration
    • General Discussion on Immigration
    • Questions on Immigration
    • Discussion specifically on applying for visas
    • Questions related to applying for a visa
    • Discussion on LSD Trips & Arrivals
    • Settling In
    • Coffee Clubs
    • Schools & Education
    • Going Back?
  • Discussions
    • Foyer
    • General
    • Events
    • Communities
    • Money!
    • Home and Hearth
    • Health and Wellness
    • Ladies' Lounge
    • The Men's Shed
    • Spiritual Life
    • Lost-n-Found
    • Places of Interest
    • Journals
    • Travel
    • Funnies
  • Advertising
    • Classifieds
    • KuierKoerier©
  • Employment
    • Queries, Tips and News
    • Networking
    • Looking
    • Offering
    • Business
  • News from South Africa
    • General
    • Sport
  • Technical
    • Forum Help
    • Computers and Internet
    • Announcements

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...

Found 20 results

  1. Hi everyone I hold a B.Ed in foundation phase teaching. The degree covers Gr R to Gr 3 (ages 5-9). Primary school teachers are NOT on the Skilled Occupation List, but Early Childhood teachers are. As far as I know Early Childhood in Australia refers to teaching children who are up to 8years old. So does that mean I qualify as an Early Childhood teacher for Visa purposes? My second question is whether my experience teaching in a Grade 2 class (age 7-8) would count as early childhood experience. Please help!
  2. I completed a BA degree and then was employed as a pre school teacher for over theee years, then i received my PGCE and this is my third year of teaching. I want to apply for the 189 visa as an ECD teacher but I am wondering how many points I will get for work experience? Does my post BA experience count towards ECD work or would they only credit my Post PGCE experience? Thanks in advance for all of your help
  3. Hi everyone I am a Grade 7 mathematics teacher currently working in Pretoria. Can you please explain the difference in teaching in SA to Australia? How many children on average is in a class? Is the curriculum similar to that of South Africa? Thank you again for all the feedback.
  4. Hey everyone! My name is Uli and I'm from Cape Town. I have recently decided to move back to Australia permanently, if possible. When I first moved to Australia, I lived in Melbourne, specifically Brunswick. Loved the city, but I was on a Working Holiday Visa and needed to do the mandated 88 days of rural work. I moved to King Island and worked at the King Island Dairy cheese factory. Fantastic cheese and awesome little island! Seems like there were more cows than the estimated 1000 people on the island. I ended up liking the island even more than the city, so I staying there for just about 7 months before travelling Asia. Since then, I've lived in London (didn't like it) and in Vietnam where I worked as an English teacher. I quite enjoy teaching, so I've decided to dedicate myself to that career. I am back in SA now and have applied to get my PGCE done through UNISA next year. This should have been done already but they completely screwed me last year due to the strikes. Anyway, I've got a few question and would love to get some advice from you! Does Australia recognise a PGCE from UNISA? I have searched the forum but the threads only speak about degrees. I currently have a B.Psych degree and can work as a counselor in South Africa. Counselling is on the Skilled Occupation list, so this is another option I have when applying, assuming that I would be recognised as a counselor in Australia too. Does anyone have experience with this? Which option is best or could I apply more than once using the two different routes? I also hold a German passport. Would it be easier applying with that passport or is there no difference? The Australian government seems to like Germans more as Germans are able to go over on the Working Holiday Visa. As for points, I only have 65 at present (I turn 28 tomorrow, superior English, degree). That's assuming I would get a score of or higher than 8 in the IELTS test. I am fairly confident that I'll manage a score of 8 or above as I have taught some IELTS classes. Is the test really that difficult?? I am unsure if they will see my years travelling and working as experience, so I just assumed I'd get a 0 for experience outside of Australia. I also assumed that the time spent working on my Working Holiday Visa doesn't count for anything. Are 65 points enough to be successfully invited to immigrate to Australia? I understand that this depends on the job. After doing some research, I have found that teachers are in high demands. They were, supposedly, the third highest on the list of needed professionals. I am not sure how high up the ladder counselling is. I am quite confused about the whole VATESSESS process? I understand this a skills assessment, but what exactly do you do? Sorry for the long post! Picture taken on King Island
  5. Hi! Thanks for a great website! I am really glad to have found a community of such helpful people. We have just started investigating immigration. I have contacted Stephen from Migration Outcome Australia as I saw him recommended here. He said I could possibly apply for a 189 or 190 visa. I also contacted New World Immigration, has anyone worked with them? They say I should apply for a 489 visa, what would the reason for that be? I would prefer a PR visa obviously, but just wondering why they didn't suggest that. Perhaps it is because on a 489 I can apply for PR and then be able to stop working and be home with the kids. How long would I have to keep working on a 189? Now about the cost of living - Ideally we want to homeschool our three children aged 10 months, 3 and 4. We have to go over on my visa as I have a degree in foundation phase education. My husband is a construction project manager but only has matric. So is it possible for a family of 5 to live on a pre or primary school teacher's salary? (This seems like an impossible dream, but I have to ask) Thank You!
  6. Hi all, Hoping someone could clarify something for me. Early Childhood Educator is on the SOL. According to AITSL website to qualify as an ECE you must be qualified to teach ages 0 - 8. I have my PGCE in Foundation Phase, which qualifies me to teach ages 6 - 9. Would this be considered sufficient to be positively assessed for an Early childhood teacher? Thanks in advance!
  7. Hello all. I have multiple questions and was not sure where to post. Some back story: I have been granted my 189 visa after a 2,5 year process. I have been to Australia in 2013 on vacation and have decided that Victoria would be a good place to start so I have booked a one way ticket that arrives in Melbourne early January 2018. ( I also have a friend close to Melbourne for support if things go south) Q1: I was wondering what would be the best RE accomodation in the city while I look for work and sort out the usual drivers licence and tax and bank accounts etc...AirBnB, Backpackers? How important is it to have a permanent address when doing paperwork as an immigrant starting out there? Could I use a friends address if needs be? Q2: What would be the easiest way to go about looking for work in the Education field? I am a secondary maths teacher. Any work will do. I have heard about ANZUK, SmartTeachers and of course Randstad. Contacted them all today. Any other tips would be welcome. Also any jobs you know of that a Maths teacher could do that is not necessarily in front of a class. I am keeping an eye on SEEK. And do understand that permanent posts are hard to come by. Q3: What would be the best way to transfer my funds? I have looked into FinGlobal (CashKows?) Also seen people speaking of getting a money guarantee letter then upon arrival having funds transferred. Also read people suggesting PayPal. Maybe use my SA Credit Card for the first few days over there till things are sorted. Suggestions? I am looking at National Australia Bank. These are the most pressing issues for me currently. Especially transferring funds. I have enough to gold me over comfortably for 3 or 4 months and am not keen on losing a while lot of it to the middle man. Any feedback would be appreciated. If you feel this post would get better feedback in a different section please let me know. Thank you all in advance.
  8. Hey team Asking for my little brother-in-law. What are the options for a South African who has just finished their BA degree and wants to become an English teacher, teaching in Australia. Post grad degree / diploma not yet done. Busy investigating possible options. 1. Study post grad in SA apply after (problem, he is not young) 2. Study the postgrad in Aus through Aus university, so apply for study visa and then PR / regional sponsored thereafter (benefit can actually work during this time and earn some cash) 3. Study the postgrad in Aus via UNISA, so apply for a holiday visa or similar. 4. Any other options you can think of This young man has had a long run of crappy luck. He never lived up to his full potential. He has been working his arse off at a job he hates to put himself through university. If we could get him here, I think we could really help him on the path to a happy life. Any advice welcome.
  9. Hey team Asking for my little brother-in-law. What are the options for a South African who has just finished their BA degree and wants to become an English teacher, teaching in Australia. Post grad degree / diploma not yet done. Busy investigating possible options. 1. Study post grad in SA apply after (problem, he is not young) 2. Study the postgrad in Aus through Aus university, so apply for study visa and then PR / regional sponsored thereafter (benefit can actually work during this time and earn some cash) 3. Study the postgrad in Aus via UNISA, so apply for a holiday visa or similar. 4. Any other options you can think of This young man has had a long run of crappy luck. He never lived up to his full potential. He has been working his arse off at a job he hates to put himself through university. If we could get him here, I think we could really help him on the path to a happy life. Any advice welcome.
  10. iceogre007

    Just Joined

    Good day Everyone, Me and my wife has started the process for a 189 visa. My wife will be the main applicant for a secondary teacher. I am currently in IT as a systems engineer. We are still at step 1 but hey we are already very excited. We were looking at Queensland maybe brisbane. This forum is a great resource and I enjoy reading everyone's experiences and information. Regards
  11. Good day I love South Africa , I love the culture diversity, I love the people and our ways of doing things here. I have been pondering to "make the move" for a while now, and when I try to discuss the matter with my wife due to my babbling nature I stuff it up the every time. So I thought Ill post here and get genuine advise of people in the same boat as my family, and try to make sense of it all. I cannot see any sustainable future for my 6 month old son. He ,even born in 2015, will still be branded as most white south Africans are. and in the near future will not even have the opportunities I had when growing up(work/family). I have done some research in making the move, and have been in contact with New World Immigration and we applied for a skilled Australia Skilled Visa as my wife as the main applicant. My reasons and my wife's reason for leaving everything we know and love differ a lot, I'm more of pessimist(current government state/safety ) where she is optimist(love for country and see's hope in every situation/believe our son can make it work) , but we are in agreement we can make this move work for our sons sake and give him the future we envision for him. My wife has a Bachelor of Education degree done through Tuks in 2012, 3 full years of experience at one job afterwards, and I have trade tested in Motor Mechanics(red seal) also in 2012, but only 4 year prior and 1 year experience after the trade test, where thereafter I went in to the Vehicle Insurance sector administrating claims on vehicle insurance products. New World Immigration has already advised us my wife will have to be the main applicant as she was the only one who did qualify on their point system(I have to work in my trade currently which I'm not even if its related) which means they are able to lodge an application to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to secure our residency in Australia. They advised this will cost R14 250 for a skilled Australia visa and if that goes as planned a further R7980 to the department of Immigration. there after an additional AUD1800 for me and AUD900 for my son. Miscellaneous cost would be English language tests, police clearances and the whole family would need to do medicals. they estimate per adult this will be AUD300. This adds up at the end of the day, but is doable if you are doing this for a good/right reasons. The first and initial cost will only be the skilled Australia visa application for my wife. We are only at this stage, researching the cost of living(many helpful links and forums on this page), and areas to live in/ health care(what they cover and don't)/second hand vehicle cash price. I stand under correction what I have found the minimum average pay for a secondary school teacher is AUD60000 per annum. For an mechanic is around AUD50000. I would like to get similar work in Australia administrating warranties/maintence plans for vehicles and not go back to the workshop environment, but I'm willing 'to go to VETASSESS in Cape town if I need to do it so I can get work there. Currently I have a vision of the following, if all goes to with the application of my wife and we see is doable. Sydney/Waterloo. We can mostly use public transport in the beginning as I know we would not be able(hope we can) to buy a second hand car when we land. average estimated cost per month will be AUD8100+/- in the first few months. meaning AUD2025 per week. this includes rent(3 bed 2 bath and 2 cars/Waterloo NSW 2017), some one looking after my son, mobile phone (unlimited calls), Internet, public transport costs, insurance house and health, electricity, gas bill, water and council fees ,groceries, tolls, banking charges and in first few months clothing, haircuts, electronics. So my questions I have will be the following, Firstly have anyone used New World Immigration? Have you had issue with them or not? Are the cost stated above for them to be able to lodge by department of Immigration and Border Protection reasonable? Is my estimate on monthly cost under estimated or not? After/or can we buy a second hand car on finance? Will it be beter to work in a general workshop as a mechanic (eg Audi where in initially did my experience) or try and get a job by an Insurance company like SaWarranties/Motorite/Innovations? I know of Warranty & Insurance in Artarmon, NSW, 2064 And if so will the Annual pay be higher as a trades man mechanic? Is Sydney over estimating what we can afford? And please any/ANY advise for us to make this process easier/ thing you may have though would be necessary but wasn't? And any success/fail stories in line with my wife's work we can take into consideration. This is my first post sorry if its not well structured. Kind Regards
  12. Hi I am a qualified middle school teacher (B Prim Ed senior Primary) My skill was assessed by AITSL as a primary school teacher. I have experience teaching at primary school level from 1993-2011. Since 2012 I am teaching at a High School (Secondary School) Will I be able to successfully claim points for work experience? Will the work experience at secondary school level be seen as work experience in a closely related skilled occupation? ( This is outside Australia) Looking forward to your reply Kind Regards
  13. Good day all I've been meaning to make this post for quite some time. Here is an explanation for teachers from South Africa who want to teach in Australia. There might be information here and there that might be/might not be applicable to your process. Also, teachers who has been through the process, please feel free to add to this post! Step 1 Apply for unabridged birth and marriage certificates. Step 2 Complete the Academic IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test through The British council or Language Lab British Council: http://www.britishcouncil.org.za/ielts Language Lab: http://www.ihjoburg.co.za/ You have to achieve a score of at least 7.0 for Reading and Writing and a score of at least 8.0 for Speaking and Listening. Step 3 Complete your skills assessment through AITLS (Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership). AITSL is the designated assessing authority for the following skilled occupations under the Skilled Migration Program on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) effective 1 July 2012. ANZSCO Code Occupations 241111 Early childhood (pre-primary school) teacher 241213 Primary school teacher (CSOL 1 July 2012) 241311 Middle school teacher (CSOL 1 July 2012) 241411 Secondary school teacher 241511 Special needs teacher 241512 Teacher of the hearing impaired 241513 Teacher of the sight impaired 241599 Special education teachers (not elsewhere classified) Applying: Download the application guide and read it thoroughly!!: http://www.aitsl.edu.au/verve/_resources/AITSL_Assesssment_Application_Guide_-_January_2013.pdf Download the application form and fill it in: http://www.aitsl.edu.au/verve/_resources/AITSL_Assessment_Application_Form_-_January_2013.docx Send in your application form with all the supporting documents to AITSL. Step 4 Once you have completed the IELTS and the Skills assessment you can lodge an EOI (Expression of interest) on skillselect. http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/ Because your skill as a teacher in on the SOL, you should apply for the 189 visa and wait for your invitation. If you however don't have enough points (60 minimum), you can apply for the state sponsored visa 190. State sponsonsorships: Western Australia: http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/Pages/HowtoapplyforStateSponsorship.aspx Northern Territory: http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/ South Australia: https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/ Queensland: http://www.workliveplay.qld.gov.au/content0544.html?id=3703 New South Wales: http://www.business.nsw.gov.au/live-and-work-in-nsw/visa-and-migration/skilled-sponsored-migration Victoria: http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/visas-and-immigrating/state-nomination Tasmania: http://www.migration.tas.gov.au/skilled Australian Capital Territory: http://www.business.act.gov.au/grants-and-assistance/advice_and_support/skilled_migration Please check the state's eligibility for sponsorship application. Step 5 Once you have state sponsorship and an invite from Skillselect, you can start filling in the form for the visa application itself. Double and triple check all the information on the application form. Make sure you have supporting documents for all the information on the application! Submit and pay for the application. You should receive confirmation that the DIAC has received your application and payment. Step 6 After a few days, your online application page should change, now you can start uploading all your documents onto the DIAC website. Make sure all documents are certified properly and clearly. Upload colour scans of your documents. Apply for police clearance certificates. There will be a link on your application "Organise health assessment". Click the link, fill in all the information honestly and select a med centre near you to book your medicals. Step 7 Your case officer is assigned. You case officer will email you (sometimes they don't!) to let you know what documents he/she still needs and then you sent the outstanding documents directly to them. Each CO is different though, some don't make contact at all. Some contact you from the beginning and answer quickly, others don't. If your medicals get referred, then you will have to wait about 3 months for them to clear. If they are cleared and all the documents are submitted to the DIAC, it shouldn't be long before you receive that GOLDEN email one morning, presenting you with your visa grant notice! Step 8 Once you have your visa, you should register with the Teacher Registration Board in the state that you are planning on moving to. Western Australia: http://www.trb.wa.gov.au/registration/applicants-with-overseas-qualifications-and-experience/ Northern Territory: http://www.trb.nt.gov.au/registration South Australia: http://www.trb.sa.edu.au/registration.php Queensland: http://www.qct.edu.au/registration/overseas.html New South Wales: http://www.teach.nsw.edu.au/grp/application/a-introduction.htm Victoria: http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/registration/apply-for-registration/Pages/OverseasQual.aspx Tasmania: http://www.trb.tas.gov.au/Web%20Pages/Applying%20for%20Teacher%20Registration.aspx Australian Capital Territory: http://www.tqi.act.edu.au/registration Once your application is complete you will receive your registration card in the mail. Step 9 If you go for an LSD trip to Australia, apply for your Working With Children Check card at the post office. Western Australia: http://www.checkwwc.wa.gov.au/checkwwc Northern Territory: http://www.workingwithchildren.nt.gov.au/ South Australia: Under the Children's Protection Act (Section 8B) people in SA who work in jobs which require regular contact with children are required to obtain police clearance before they commence employment. A National Police Certificate application form is available from the South Australian Police Department. Queensland: http://www.ccypcg.qld.gov.au/bluecard/index.html New South Wales: http://www.kids.nsw.gov.au/Working-with-children/New-Working-With-Children-Check/apply Victoria: http://www.workingwithchildren.vic.gov.au/ Tasmania: Currently there are no legal requirements for people working with children to undertake a police check in Tasmania, however, organisations which require employees and/or volunteers to work with children may have their own policies in this regard. In 2005 the Commissioner for Children Tasmania released a consultation paper discussing proposals for the Government to introduce screening procedures for Tasmanian organisations who want to employ people to work with children. Australian Capital Territory: http://www.ors.act.gov.au/community/working_with_vulnerable_people If you don't go on an LSD trip, then you should apply for this once you land in Australia. Step 10 Look for a job! Some schools (mostly private schools) will appoint you without the blue card or working with children check card, but then you sign a contract that you will apply for it asap. Hope I haven't missed something. Please feel free to comment and add, and I will edit this post and add it!
  14. I need a bit of help from anyone who has obtained or lodged their application for 189 as an ECD teacher... The document stating work experience from AITSL, how important is it? I have all my documents from the schools I have taught in on hand and ready to upload to my application, but the work experience letter from AITSL is outstanding due to me sending a certified copy instead of an original... (sigh) Will I need the AITSL form at all or will my uploads of work experience and references be sufficient? Please help! Jo
  15. Albertisme

    Trying to hitch a ride to Australia

    Hi All, been looking through this forum and its been most useful. My wife and i are in the process of processing the process to get into OZ. How we are getting there - 189 Visa as a Pre-Primary Teacher. Process so far - 1. IELTS Test, Academic for the AITSL, and general to get 8 Across the board for Visa points. (15 for 7's and 20 for 8's ) Waiting for General test results 2. AITSL recieved today, B.Ed degree granted ( Studied at Wits, Foundation & Early childhood dev ) Just waiting for that pesky IELTS and then the EOI here we come !! So far the process is pretty straight forward, the only issue we had was verifying documents for the AITSL, they have to have the commissioner of oaths stamp, they didn't accept the police stamp thingy. So in theory when we get the 8's for the IELTS we will have 65 points, so in the meantime were getting all the documents required to apply for the visa.
  16. Hi all, Thanks for all the help so far. I have now applied for my skills to be assessed as an ECD teacher (I have a Foundation Phase B.Ed degree in SA). After the 10 weeks, when I receive my skills assessment back, which visa do I apply for and what are the requirements that we have to have? I also have been with my boyfriend for 2 years now, we have evidence of overseas holidays, domestic holidays and we can provide pictures and affidavits (if needed) from his mom in Australia, my parents in SA and friends that we are a serious couple. We live together 3-4 days a week and during holidays, but we do not rent together. Are the chances good that he will be able to get in as a de facto partner? His skills are positively assessed as a Primary School teacher, but he falls into the Schedule 2 list, so it would be great if he can come on my visa. I would appreciate any help
  17. Good day to all. Am I correct in thinking that Primary School Teachers have been removed from the SOL, and as such they cannot apply for a visa anymore? Only Pre-primary teachers and Secondary Teacher still qualify? Is this correct?
  18. Hi All, I have been in contact with a few AMAZING SAAus members who have been so helpful, but I thought I would open these question up to all teachers in an attempt not to overload those awesome SAAus members with a million questions I have a BCom degree and am busy with my PGCE (Foundation Phase and Early Childhood Development) through Unisa. On the AITSL application form it states "Study assessed by AITSL as comparable to at least four years full-time (or part-time equivalent) higher education (university) level study in Australia, that results in a qualification/s comparable to the educational level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher." Now my question is, would a Bachelor's degree in SA (which is three years) be the same as a Australian Bachelor? Then the next section states (I'm sure you've all read this numerous times, but I will paste it anyways) "An initial teacher education qualification relevant to the Early Childhood (Pre-primary School) teacher occupation of at least one year full-time study (or part time equivalent) at the higher education (university) level that includes a minimum of 45 days of supervised teaching practice with students across the ages of 3 and 8 in education programs prior to and in to the early years of primary school." Like I said I'm doing my PGCE (FDP & ECD) through Unisa. Will I need to get practical experience through both a primary school (Grade R - 3) and a childcare center for ages 3 - 5? The teaching prac for the PGCE only covers primary school from what I've been told. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure that I do everything correctly so that I don't hit any huge speed bumps when application time arrives. Thanks!! Robyn
  19. Hi A question for any British Teachers who have moved to Australia and have applied for teacher registration. I am a Secondary school teacher currently in the UK, looking to move to Perth/Brisbane (still undecided). I have 5+ years experience. I am about to apply for teacher registration and want to know more about the process. For example, will I have to re-start from the bottom to meet the Aussie teaching standards? I was told by an Aussie teacher that having teacher training and experience from the UK is usually an advantage as we are ahead in a lot of aspects, e.g. technology, resources etc. I understand that each state has different registration processes, and wondering if it's easier to apply in certain states or if there's any advantage to any, e.g. all my experience/skills can be transferred easily? Any advice much appreciated. Eliza Steyl
  20. Hi guys! I have a questions for teachers who are currently in WA. I have sent through all my docs and registration forms to WATRB. How long does the assessment and registration take? And what about the Working with children check? I know I can only do it in person, but can I at all apply for teaching positions without this card? Cause this seems highly impossible, but I know of some teachers who were able to get a job from RSA and then only apply for the WWCC card once they arrive. We land in Perth on the 2nd of Jan 2014. Any advice would be helpful.
  • Create New...