Schools, waiting lists, areas.......

Nix

Question to all Mom's out there:

Many of the private schools out there have a waiting list. Or you have to enroll your child at least 6 - 9 months before the next school year.

HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHICH SCHOOL TO ENROLL YOUR CHILD IN WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING TO LIVE?

Dilemma !!!!

We are hoping to move to Perth late 2008 - in time for our child to start Grade 1 in Feb 2009. I can see a number of schools I like, but I have never been to Perth, do not have a visa yet, don't know where we are going to live and work......so how do I decide which school to enroll my child in !!!!???????

Any advise?

Nix

Yes it is difficult to decide which school you enrol your child in. If you do not have a visa as yet, why start stressing now?

When you get the visa and you move over to Perth, then you decide which area you are going to live in, you then decide on the schools.

At the moment it appears that you want to put the cart before the horse!!!

If need be your child can go into a government school to start with, as the waiting lists for the private schools are quite long. Enrolment fees just to put the names down vary from school to school between $50.00 and $100.00 .....so how many school do you want to put your name down at? Even if you put your name down 6-9 months before it does not mean that you wll get that particular school. Some of my friends have been on the waitling list for certain private schools for 2 and half years!!!!

When you get here you start checking out the schools. Everybody has different requirements of a school, what might appeal to me might not appeal to you.

Good luck with your visa application, please dont start stressing about the school now......there is time down the line for you to stress.

Regards

Enrica

Hi

We were in Perth at the beginning of November to look around and see which school we want to put our children in (ages 11 and 9). We know in which area we are going to live and so I went to speak to the principal of the government school in that area. He told me that when it comes to primary school, the government and private schools are basically equal academically in what they offer. Because we will be living in the area that particular school is zoned for they MUST accept my children. The private schools in that area have long waiting lists. So one might plan one thing and once you get there it doesn't work out that way. Once you have identified where you are going to live you can identify the schooling options in the surrounding areas.

Regards

Debbie

Hi Nix

I know exactly how you feel - I felt the same before I came over here. We've been here in Perth for two weeks, and the schools close this coming friday - so I have had to do some intensive research on schools in the last two weeks. Also, we didn't know where we were going to end up living, so I was feeling a bit muddled. But Enrica is right - it seems primary schools are mostly very good if the area is good. We pinpointed 3 suburbs we heard were very good and we liked, and decided whichever suburb we got a house in was where the kids would go to school, (Duncraig/Carine/Sorrento) Turns out today we found a house to rent in Sorrento so tomorrow I will be going to the Sorrento Primary School to enrol my two boys.

You're welcome to PM me if you want any further information or if you want to chat about it.......

Mary

Hi there,

Could you tell me how the school year runs in Perth, is it Jan - Dec or Sept - July.

My daughter is 9 and we are going to have to place her in a school when we get there, so I would just like to know how there year runs.

Also at what age do the kids start school. My boys are 3½ and 2.

Thank you

Malinda

Could you tell me how the school year runs in Perth, is it Jan - Dec or Sept - July.

The school year starts in Feb and ends in Dec.

Dunno if the school year is the same in Melbourne or Perth.

I have my kids enrolled into a private school in Melbourne, and they start on 1 February. (Strange that because it is a Friday)

The price difference between private and state schools is crazy!!!

I know many people in Melbourne that have chosen a certain state school, and some others that have taken their kids out the school my kids will attend to rather send them to state school because of this price difference.

I would also send my kids to state school, but because of my religion I want them to go to this particular private school.

Thank you so much for the info, head spinning a bit right now.

Will have to look into what type of school we will send our daughter to when we get there. :o

Malinda