3 months in and still cannot wipe the grin off my face

Nix

I have been meaning to write a "long" update for a month now, and I realised that if I don't simply write what I can and add as I have the time, I will never get around to it !

So hard to say all that I want to say in one post. To summarise in a nutshell:

I feel blessed to be here everday. I still smile in the car all day. I have this light, warm feeling in my tummy when I realise that I actually LIVE here. I am excited about our future and that of my child. I am grateful to Australia for giving me and my family this opportunity.

Having said that, I DO believe that the final "success" of a move of this nature is essentially a decision. A personal choice that this is what you want to do, and that this is the right thing for you and your family. Aus can give you the following:

1. A safe place for your family

2. A family orientated country

3. A FUTURE for your kids

4. LOTS of "free" activities to keep you and your family busy in your personal time

5. An outdoor lifestyle

6. Equal opportunity

7. A fair wage

8. A country where the majority of people contribute to the tax system, thus the benefits are clear and tangible and visible in a daily life

9. A first world country

10. LOTS and LOTS of parks !

11. Information and support for every question you may have from tax, to Centrelink, to libarary, to schools........information is accesible to all. The system really works !

What Australia CANNOT give you:

1. If you are not committed to the move, don't come

2. It can't make you happy - that is your choice. Remember the Crowded House song: "Take the weather with you"........the same is true in life. If you are miserable in SA, you will be miserable in Aus. It cannot make right all your life wrongs

3. There is no perfect country in the world. Decide what your top three life priorities are, and then if Aus can fulfill them, then this is the place for you. If it doesn't, then it won't work.

OK.......philosophy over. Here are our personal experiences so far:

* We arrived on the 25th April after having travelled halfway around the world over 4 days (Aruba to Miami to LA to Brisbane). A long haul for a 6 year old, who managed remarkably well (even with the 14 hour time difference).

* The idea was to spend two weeks in Brisbane and two weeks on the Gold Coast and during that time make a decision where we wanted to live, and find a good school, and find a rental in the area of the good school, and get the rental and move in. Tall order !!!! We had not only never been to Brisbane, but we had never been to Aus before, so there was lots to see before we could make that call. What ended up happening was that we made a judgement call based on "gut instinct" and then committed to that decision. And have not looked back.

* Initially when in Aruba, we felt that the Gold Coast would be a better place for us as we have spent the last 9 years on a Caribbean Island and did not want to loose that "life balance" and therefore did not necessarily want to move back to a city (we were Jhb corporate based......before we had kids, and after kids, your priorities shift). HOWEVER, we really really loved Brisbane. And "suburbia" was NOTHING like we thought it would be. We had read about the parks and the cycle tracks and the reserves all over the place and to be honest, had not really UNDERSTOOD what implication it has on your life. We now live 11km's from the CDB, right opposite a park and whilst we have a small backyard in this rental, the park is unlimited.....and we don't have to mow the lawn. I had my 41st birthday celebration in the park with a couple we know from 30 years ago, having a bbq on the bbq supplied by the City Council, whilst my 6 year old played on the clean, new, expansive junglegym with a couple of other kids that happened to be walking their dogs or passing by.....life doesn't get much better..... What I am trying to say (rather badly I know!), is that living in the "city" is not really like living in a city at all !!! There are wild turkey's, and wallabies, and birds, and trees, and reserves.......ALL AROUND YOU ! I can honestly say that I don't think ANYONE in Brisbane lives more than a 5 minute walk from a park.

* So, reading between the lines, you will see that we didn't settle on the Gold Coast. We did explore it quite extensively, and I found a school that I was happy with (visited quite a few)......but I didn't "click" with the Gold Coast. That doesn't mean anything at all......just that instinct lead me to Brisbane. I have no doubt that if we had chosen the Gold Coast, we too would have been happy.

* However, we intend to remain self employed, and being is Brisbane gives you more opportunity. So that made sense too.

* We have rented a townhouse, right on a park, in Aspley. Our daughter started Grade One at Aspley State Primary on the 25th May. A month after we landed. This too has been an exceptional experience. I was worried that she would be behind as she was not in Grade One yet on Aruba, and was not educated in English on Aruba. But the school was amazing. They focus on building self confidence and self esteem, and highlighted to me that there is so much variation in maturity levels in 6 year olds, which influences the ability of the child to concentrate, and subsequently, there is a large range in levels in the first 3 grades of primary school. The school caters for that. She was happy from day one. She was motivated, challenged and made to feel welcome. Now, two months later, she is in the top reading level in the class, can write, her maths is at grade 2 level.......and I attribute that all to the fact that she is happy, and a happy child learns. The school has been exceptional. Nothing more I can say.

* My husband unfortunately left Aus in mid June, and will be back around mid Sep. He has returned to Aruba to sort out our properties. The financial climate in Aruba mirrors the US - that means is has collapsed. The "fear" that I experienced in the US has spilled over into Aruba, and that means that selling our properties has been difficult. We have had to rent them out, and put some management structures in place - not that easy in an unsophisicated market. And not ideal, becuase it means that our cash flow to start a new life in Aus is limited. But, it is what it is, and it will be managed. I reckon it will be no more than 2 years before we can sell for a "fair price" and bring the equity to Aus. And two years goes in the blink of an eye.... We can manage that.

* Having my husband away has been interesting. I won't say difficult, because I think he has had the more difficult task of the two of us. He has had to return to sort out problems, I have had the luxury of being in a new positive place, with everyday being a blank page with new experiences to write on it. I am exploring and discovering and investigating. He wants to be here, he wants to start his new life, he wants to be with his family......so I am ensuring that he can focus on getting back whilst we get the business of life started here. Whilst he is away, I have been assessing business opportunities, and have some ideas that I am investingating. The idea is that when he returns, we are ready to push the "GO" button. We need to start earning soon!!!

* Re the "climate" here.....well, this is my opinion only, so don't take it as fact. But Aus has no where near been effected by the global crisis as other countries in the world. Certainly nothing like the US. There is no "air of desperation" here. There is no negativity. There is no fear. There is a little "tightening of the belt", but that is all. The housing prices in Brisbane have certainly not fallen. Houses are getting 2 - 3 offers within days of listing. Our agents cannot get enough houses to list, or to rent. The market is bouyant. All the more reason why we cannot "settle" in Aruba.

* For the two week winter school vacation I flew to Perth with my 6 year old. It was a trip that I booked and paid for from Aruba in February, as I knew that we would be in a rental house with no furniture (no container), and no friends (too early in Aus), and no husband (he would be back in Aruba already).....so I flew to Perth to spend the vacation with one of my oldest SA friends and her two daughters (the same age as my daughter). It was an exceptional holiday. But it was interesting too as when we started this Aus immigration process, we originally had decided to go to Perth. Reasoning centred around the fact that we have a support system there (friends and family) and it is closer to SA (for family to visit and vice versa etc). After months of googling and researching, I decided NOT to go to Perth for 2 key reasons:

1. Too isolated

2. Too dependent on mining

But I was interested to see how I would feel once seeing it.

Well, Perth is beautiful. VERY different in feel to Brisbane. The houses look different, the roads and scenery is different. Not better or worse, just different. And whilst I loved it, I am very very very happy with our decision to move to Brisbane. No particular reason, and again, my PERSONAL experience only. But there was DEFINITELY more of a feel of desperation in Perth. Ther was definitely more talk in social interactions of the economy and doom and gloom. There are a lot of retrenchments. AND IT WAS DAMN COLD !!! I know it was winter, and I have lived in the Caribbean for 9 years, but I am Jhb born and bred and Jhb winters can get cold......but I have NEVER been as cold as I was in July.

Having said all the above, I again have no doubt that if we had decided to live in Perth, that we would be happy. Because again, it is a DECISION. Happiness is a DECISION.

So, tomorrow my container arrives. Four months almost to the day that it was packed on the other side of the world in Aruba. I did a lot of research on the net and these type of forums about other people's experience with containers, and felt comfortable that we would be OK with our container. It was not the case. I have a feeling that coming from Aruba did not help. And our movers in Aruba are not on any "list" of approved movers. We were targeted for a full Customs inspection and had a 100% box inspection (usually 20%). We declared our SA Jembe Drum - which you will see on this forum that many people have successfully brought into Aus. Not us. We were given the option of $198 to have it destroyed, or $375 to have it gamma radiated. Some ornamental knives (also declared) and an unfortunate oversight in our packing, resulted in a full X-ray by Customs of all our boxes - another unplanned and unbudgetted $1100. We were METICULOUS in cleaning our tools, removing rust, no soil etc etc. But I did not check every nook and cranny of my husband's "stuff" (he is a horder) and in SA we had weapons (don't we all?) which we got rid of when we left for Aruba in 2000. However, it seems that one unfired (i.e. live) 9mm round was somewhere in my husband's stuff. That is illegal. As the Customs X-ray revealed nothing more, nothing came of it. It was our error, and I know how strict Aus is in that regard, so as miserable as I am about the extra expense, it is what it is and I can do nothing about it........so I have moved on. In the years to come, the expense will be inconsequential, and the benefits of living in this country are already loud and clear to me.

So, tomorrow my daughter and I stop camping on the floor, we unpack all those toys she has done without for 4 months (3 fluffy toys can be a little boring after a while!) and I get to wear something other than my 4 outfits I brought on the plane!

And in 6 weeks, my husband will be back.

LIFE IS GOOD !!!!

I am sure that I have missed lots out. And probably waffled on too much about some stuff. But in a nutshell......moving to Aus was the best thing my family and I have ever done.

Oh.....and did I mention that my husband is 57? I mention this becuase IF HE CAN DO IT, SO CAN YOU !!!!! No retirement. No guarentees. No firm business as yet (give me another month and I'll have that one sorted out though!)...........and I STILL think it is the best thing we ever did. We will succeed because we believe it. And as you think, so shall you live......

On that note, I need to get to bed so that I can be fresh for the arrival of my furniture tomorrow !

Cheers

Nix

post-2365-1249478117.jpg

Edited by Nix

One of the nicest read I've had in along long time... absolutely beautiful...

Well done...

This is just a wonderful read!! I'm so glad you enjoy it so much!! I know that nice feeling of smiling everyday!!

I'm in a similar position as your husband - I'm the designated finaliser of things back in South Africa....... but I am enjoying it soooooooo much here in Australia, I've postponed my return ticket twice now! I promised myself I won't postpone it again, so I am leaving on the 30th September to hopefully finalise everything.... but I want to be back before the summer and the December holidays :ilikeit:

Have a wonderful time unpacking the container..... yeah - it's a pity your container's extra fees were so expensive.... but in the bigger picture it is all worth it!

Wow, what a wonderful read.

I have a friend who's parents moved to Aus in the 80's and returned to SA after three years. 25 years later they decided to do it again, he was 67 when they decided to move (they had one son living there already and their daughter joined them soon afterwards)

We are planning the move in the new year and although it seems daunting I am so excited to start a new life in a new country.

Once again, thanks for a great post

Fantastic post! thank you for sharing that, and you have a beautiful family!

Hi Nix,

Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading your experiences so far, you have such a positive attitiude and outlook on life, you will always benefit from that. Good on you.

Enjoy the unpacking of your goodies today, it is always a happy day when your own things arrive.

All the best for you and your family.

Jill

Nix, glad to hear that you are finding life wonderful...good on you...hope the business side goes even better!

Hey Nix - great post!!! Thanks for this and for your enthusiasm. Your family is just beautiful and I know you are going to thrive being in Brisbane! Hopefully we will be meeting you there in the near future!!

xx

Liesl

With this attitude and the understanding that happiness is a CHOICE. things can only get better! You go girl! :whome:

What a great inspirational post - thanx for taking the time and for sharing !

Keep that attitude and life in Aus will only get better. Have fun unpacking and finding new homes for all that stuff !!

All the best,

You have just made me want to get to Brisbane even more now than I already do... I enjoyed every minute of your post - thank you.

Nix dankie vir die lekker lees.

Ons het 'n emosionele verantwoordelikheid om onsself te vestig. Alhoewel dit ook al op die forum genoem is, wil mense nie weet hoe goed dit werklik gaan nie.

Dis amper soos om vir die Aussies te vertel van die wetteloosheid en geweld in SA - hulle het nie 'n begrip daarvoor nie. Dit voel vir my dieselfde om elke keer vir viende en familie te vertel hoe wonderlik Brisbane is - tot jy nie hier was dit beleef het nie, kan jy nie regtig die verander in kwalitiet van lewe vir iemand verduidelik nie.

Als van die beste vorentoe.

L

Well done Nix

Your healthy and balanced attitude shines through your lovely post- thanks for sharing.

Quote "I feel blessed to be here everyday. I still smile in the car all day. I have this light, warm feeling in my tummy when I realise that I actually LIVE here. I am excited about our future and that of my child. I am grateful to Australia for giving me and my family this opportunity".

Hi Nicky

I am so pleased to hear that you decided to settle in Brisbane/Aspley and are loving it. We spent our first year in Brisbane/West Lakes and loved it as well.

Our visa however required that we live and work in Adelaide (Business Visa- State sponsored) so we moved to Adelaide and we have grown to love it here.

Really enjoyed reading your post and after being here for seven years now, I still feel much like you so aptly describe in your above statement.

You are a real star :angry::)

Enjoy!

Manny

Edited by MannyT

What a fantastic read! I am so happy for you guys and wish you all the blessings, success and happiness to go with your positive attitude.

Keep us updated with your experiences as life unfolds in Aus.

Great read! :ilikeit: It is so good to read these positive outlooks and experiences. It just shows that one’s own attitude definitely contributes to how hard or easy the immigration process is. Reading your post makes me excited (on not confused with mixed emotions as it usually is) about our planned move next year. Deal with it as an adventure and it will be so much easier! We are also going to Brissie and will meet up with you when we arrive. Beautiful family.

Wow Nix, loved your post!

Im so glad that you're so happy and positive. Enjoy Im sure the next 3 months will be even better.

Absolutely awesome!! My husband flew out on Saturday 1st August and has been bubbling with enthusiasm. I am wishing the weeks away until I can follow in December. Thanks for this - inspires me and makes me so excited to get there!! :ilikeit:

Thanks Nix that was a great read and very positive. Just one thing am confussed cause who is in the photo with you.

Cheers Kita

Thanks Nix that was a great read and very positive. Just one thing am confussed cause who is in the photo with you.

Cheers Kita

Hi Kita. The photo is of me, my husband and my daughter. It is a little large, but I couldn't seem to post it smaller !

Cheers

Nix

Edited by Nix

Enjoyed reading your posting. I came over early in December of last year and was initially planning to settle in Perth. Still love the place but must agree with you about the "climate" there. It is quite strange though as NSW has had more job losses but somehow it seems not to have influenced people here so much. I suspect it is because the WA economy has turned so rapidly from a major boom to such a steep economic downturn.