Skills assessment

How long did your skills assessment take? We are accountants and doing it via https://www.charteredaccountants.com.au.

What is making me nervous is that the occupation ceiling has almost been reached. Only 576 invitations left.

I don't know if we will make it in time to submit a EOI. Hopefully Accountants will be on the list in the 2015 / 2016 year, otherwise we will loose the money we have paid the agent thus far.

Hi MelJ,

I also did my assessment through ICAA. I did a combined (qualification and work experience) assessment. I submitted it on 05/02/2015 and received my result on 06/03/2015 via e-mail. I think that if you a registered with SAICA (which I am not) the processing time is a bit shorter if you only go for a qualification assessment (I am not sure).

Hope this helps.

Same with us. Not registered with SAICA. Have you submitted an EOI yet?

I got my assessment results on the 6th of March as I said and I was lucky that there was an invitation round on the 13th. So I submitted my EOI on the 6th, got the invite on the 13th and I have just finished submitting my application. Now after I recover from the shock of parting with a wad of cash, I just have to decide when to book my medicals and police clearances... currently the waiting period for a VPO seems to be about 8 weeks, so maybe I can wait a month before I get those done which give me a month longer before I would have to activate the visa should I get it...

I hope you get a quick turnaround with ICAA. (Hopefully you did not select one of the postage options as that happened with another guy on the forum and he had a longer and more stressful wait to get his results.)

Wow, congratulations! That was quick!

I am not sure what option the agent has selected, most probably via email. The agent is in Melbourne so will most likely have it mailed to him if he selected postage.

We only have a score of 65 so don't know if we will be as lucky as you to be selected within one week. That is another thing I am worrying about. If we are lucky and accountants are on the list again, the pass mark for 2015/2016 may be higher....

Hopefully they won't issue so many invitations the next two rounds, then we might stand a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received last of my certified documents. Going to scan and email these on to our agent tomorrow. So hopefully submit my ICAA assessment early next week. Also stressed about the number of invitations left...

Did you pay by credit card? Or through agent? I am trying to work out best cost option - typical accountant.

Any advice welcome :)

We paid via credit card. Our agent does not pay any costs on our behalf, we pay it directly.

I do not even know what were the charges for this. Against what we are paying the agent, it is small change. I am having sleepless nights about all this money we are paying the agent.

We are using Stephen Dickson (MOA). His fees do not feel high and he has been very helpful. Emailed all my docs today.

Next issue renewal of my sons passport - what a nightmare!

We are using Immagine immigration. We should maybe have gotten more quotes, but whats done is done. We got our son's passport within 6 weeks, but have been waiting since January for our unabridged marriage certificate.

Edited by MelJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MeIJ,

We went to an IMMagineAustralia seminar and when we spoke to the agent afterwards and explained our case he said we will not need an agent, which I think does them a lot of credit. I've also heard that they do look after their clients.

If you have 65 it's better than 60, and I'm sure people with 60 are still applying. Good luck!

Hi, they are great at what they do! Our agent has been very helpful and friendly.

We had friends who applied through an agency that comes highly recommended on this website, but their visa was denied the first time. The second time they applied themselves and it was granted. Immagine refunds service fees paid if a visa is declined due to a mistake they made. That is why we decided to go with them.

It is so much money for the whole process, but in the end, I believe it will be worth it.

Edited by MelJ

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

We are in the process of completing the Pre-Application Skills Assessment form and I have a few questions regarding the form. I am a qualified CA and I am registered with SAICA. My confusion comes in with the nominated occupation codes/choices in Section 1 and Section 7 of the form. Is is possible to do the application and get scored with just the qualification being scored without the Nominated Occupation in Section 7? Is there a disadvantage to doing it this way?

My reason is because I don't want to select just one nominated occupation in case I then decide to apply for other roles should I make it to Aus.

Look forward to any assistance and advice.

Edited by BobSA

Hi BobSA,

I'm not sure exactly what visa you are applying for, but if it's a 189 for example then you can apply any way you like, and then do whatever job you find in Oz once you're there. Example: we got a visa granted because I have an electrical/electronic engineering degree, but if I really wanted to I could open a nail salon upon arrival. I think it depends on the conditions attached to the particular visa that you are applying for, eg State Sponsored, Independent, Company Sponsored. The 189 visas literally say Conditions:Nil, when you get the grant letter. I assume that they reason that most people who have a skill will try to find employment that matches the skill, so they don't tie you down specifically.

Not sure if this is what you asked?

Hi RedPanda

Thanks a lot for your response. Good to know that there are no conditions on the VISA if granted. Yes we would be applying for the 189 visa as we are not sponsored by anybody.

Your response does partly answer my question but I'm still not sure if you I need to select a nominated occupation on this PASA form for the ICAA? If any accountants have completed this form please advise what you did? I even called the help desk in Australia and unfortunately they were not clear in if it is required . If it would be required that you need a reference from your employer- HR which I hesitate to do as it would mean alerting them to fact that I am considering leaving SA and hence their employment which is why I am questioning the above.

Link to form: http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/The-Institute/Migration-assessment/About-migration-assessment/The-preapplication-skills-assessment-form

Edited by BobSA

Hi BobSA

The occupation you select in Section A is determined by your work experience and what your job descriptions were. I am not sure how many, but you need a certain amount of years experience in the occupation you select in Section A. I think it is minimum of 3 years. The more years of experience, the more points you get. I am not totally sure about this.

My husband told his employer it is only for an assessment to see if we qualify to apply for a visa.

Is their a easy to use website to check skills assessment? I am a therapeutic/sports massage therapist, my wife is a hair and makeup artist for fashion magazines/films/commercials.

AICPA needs to assess your degree/certification against the list of competencies. As a CA registered with SAICA, you would likely be assessed as competent in whichever category you chose but as MelJ said, you will need to have your work experience assessed so your experience would determine which category is best fit.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys

A good way of getting a reference from your current employer without alerting them to your planned departure would be to say you need it for an M B A . It's the one thing I know that requires employer references. In fact some M B As require performance ratings too. Of course if you already have an M B A this won't be helpful....