Cars - your opinions

Tazzn

Hubby and I are debating the car issue on arrival. We know we will need something to get around in and have been thinking of a little hatchback. here is the dilemma though - we don't want to use more than about $5000 dollars cash to buy the car. So do we buy a $5000 old high miler (the milage we have been seeing in that price range is between 150 and 200 000kms and age about 15 years). The milage scares me as here I wouldn't touch anything over 50km (maybe once bitten twice shy). Option 2 is to find something newer/lower milage and see if we can finance a portion, so let's say a 30-50% deposit with the rest financed.

Any opinions welcome and if the finance route is better do you think we would be able to secure a financed vehicle in the first week. We won't have a permanent rental but I will have a job.

Hi Tazzn

I am trapped in that conundrum :closedeyes: .

A mate of mine over there suggested that I should consider looking at a slightly bigger car (something like a Camry). Apparently, since the small/hatchback cars are in demand, you might very well find a bigger vehicle for the same price and with possibly lower mileage.

I am going to follow this thread as I am very keen to see what other forumites on that side say to guide us.

Absolutely agree with neburr - you would get far more "car for your money" if you buy a bigger, more "boring" car such as a Camry, rather than a hatch. You're right in the middle of "first car" and "student car" territory in that price range, so you will get less value for money.

Even an early to mid 2000s Ford Falcon or Holden Commodore would be better value, plenty of space, power and comfort. They are cheap to service, reliable (there's a reason taxis are Ford Falcons!) and and relatively cheap to fix.

That said, with the Fords and Holdens you do need to be careful because that's hothead territory - so insurance premiums can be a bit high, and you have to watch you don't get one that's been thrashed.

If I were in that budget range, I would personally go with a well looked after 2003/2004 BA Ford Falcon or a Misubishi 380.

No chance of avoiding a car for a while ? Such a money sucker. Rent townhouse next to train line near a high st or something. Decent finance might require 3 pay cheques.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Also, regarding the mileage - cars can do 150,000km plus here in some parts of Aus and be in similar condition to a 50k car in South Africa - depending of course, on how it's been treated and where it's been driven. If it's country or highway miles - happy days!

(And the car has been serviced religiously)

• Like 1

Spoke to a taxi guy in Perth a few years ago and asked where they got all their Ford Falcons.

He said they bought them really cheap at up to 500,000 km, overhauled them totally and they were good to go for a million. But you won't have the money for an overhaul, so a "boring" car like a camry should be fine ...

Here's one 2001 for $4,950 116k on the clock http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Toyota-Camry-2001/AGC-AD-17541543/?Cr=2

And that's in Canberra, which is a small town.

Edited by OubaasDik

I have a total different view. A large car is a guzzler, what you safe in cost you will pay in petrol.

Rather go for a smaller car 1.8L size (40,000km max). Hyundai i30 or Mazda 3. Great fuel consumption. Very easy to park - big consideration as the parking spaces here are smaller. Very popular for a reason. Although not as comfortable as a large car and perhaps a small premium to pay due to popularity.

Prefer financed as interest rates are very low but shop around.

Depends on what's important to you I guess. I was going on the budget of $5000. A Mazda 3 with 40k on the clock will cost you at least $14-$15k. They're actually not as great on fuel for a car of that size. I know because we have one as a second car (and used to have a Falcon). It's more expensive to service than the Falcon. Also, our Falcon ran on dual fuel - LPG and petrol, so was a fair bit cheaper to run than our Mazda 3.

Don't get me wrong, the Mazda 3 is a great car - and I will probably replace the current one with another one - but if you're talking about spending $15k or more then that's a whole other discussion for me and my answer changes. :)

My opinion was based on what to buy for $5k.

Also, you do have a point about the size of the car if you live in the city - then a smaller car would indeed be easier to drive.

Edited by HansaPlease

I am one of those that drives a "boring" old Camry, 2011 model. It is comfortable, spacious and pretty great fuel user. My husband drives a Ford Falcon EcoLPI ute (dedicated LPG), you get them in sedans as well, absolutely brilliant and gas is often half the price of petrol. The only problem is that it is the new model, released around October 2012 that have the newly designed engine that are so great. The earlier ones are somewhat sluggish! Sorry I know this was not the price range you were looking at, just thought I would throw it out there as info...

I am not too fussed on type of car. Some boot space would be nice considering we will probably have to move all our luggage around at a point in time. I just wanted to be certain that buying a older, cheaper car with 150 000+KMs ($5000 range) is not going to bite us in the behind rather than spending $10 000-$15 000 on a newer or even new car?

I don't really want to blow a huge amount of capital on a car so hence the $5000 budget if we have to go the newer more expensive car route I would prefer to finance a portion so we hang on to our capital

Interesting thread to follow, will be following closely as we are also in a similar dilemma.

Also, think about where you are going to rent and the running costs of a car.

In NSW, with registration, CTP (I.e. 3rd party) and insurance its about $2000 per year on my new Mazda 3. They even advertise 2nd hand cars saying things like "rego paid for 6months". That could translate to a $300 saving for the buyer.

Secondly, consider your future neighbourhood. If you live in the city in Sydney or Melbourne and you dont have kids then you could do without a car for the 1st year. When you need a car to buy furniture or other bulky items you use a " share car" facility like "go get". You can also rent cheap cars in Sydney through " No Birds".

Also think about where you will park. In the built up areas they intentionally make parking very expensive to force people to take public transport. When I say very expensive, I mean over $25 per day. But there is usually lots of free parking out in the suburbs. So it depends on where you will live and work.

Google maps can tell you how long it will take you to get from A to B on Aussies public transport system. Just ask for directions, then select public transport instead of the little car.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

I think you would struggle for finance in your first week. Even if you have a job, you would not have the paper work proof of income etc needed for a loan to be approved, as you would not have received your first payslip etc.

Maybe you shouldnt think of buying a car with the intention that it is for the long term. Buy one to get you thru the first 3-6 months. then sell it. At most you would lose $1-2k which is neglibile. In 6 months time you will qualify for finance and can buy the car you want to keep. If you go thru a dealer it will have been checked out and will come with some or other guarentee to get you thru the first 3-6 months.

• Like 2

I, for one, would definitely not want to drive a manual vehicle in Melbourne traffic!

• Like 1

I have a total different view. A large car is a guzzler, what you safe in cost you will pay in petrol.

Rather go for a smaller car 1.8L size (40,000km max). Hyundai i30 or Mazda 3. Great fuel consumption. Very easy to park - big consideration as the parking spaces here are smaller. Very popular for a reason. Although not as comfortable as a large car and perhaps a small premium to pay due to popularity.

Prefer financed as interest rates are very low but shop around.

As a new "off the plane" immigrant you're going to get finance? Well, maybe, but I sincerely doubt it ....

Sorry - trust me to join late and not read everyone else's posts.

You CAN pick up some exceptional bargains just by trolling carsales.com.au

A car that people seem to overlook is the older Rav4 - here is a modest example - I have no idea whether it is worth it .... http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-RAV4-1996/SSE-AD-3242128/?Cr=0 - $,1900 - I had a similar one and sold it to a brand-new SAFFA, who gave me the impression he would be displeased and make it known if the vehicle was a dud (Jacques Voogt - remember him)

Mine had far fewer km on board, but from what I have heard the older Ravs were basically Camrys with 4WD - I loved mine.

Edited by OubaasDik

We had a budget of $5000 for our second car and ended up with an old model Honda CRV (I had a Honda Jazz in SA and loved it). The selling price was for $6000 but we managed to negotiate it down. It has 196 000 kms on the clock but did have a full service history and only one previous owner (female) who clocked up the km's driving from Bunbury to Margaret River. It is 4x4 as we wanted to use it for beach driving, so that does increase the price a bit.

We haven't had any issues with the vehicle, thankfully.

We bought am old, and very noisy ford festiva 3 door for $3500 cash..it didn't give us a day of trouble for the 3 years we owned it. 9 months after we arrived we financed a new outlander ( which I am proud to say is now paid off :)

We kept the skadonk for our extra car/station car. Sold it when we decided to move to sydney.

I suggest you buy the cheapest car u can find to get u from a to be while you wait to get finance a few months down the line.

• Like 1

While I was in Melbourne now during December/January I ran into a guy wanting to get rid of a 1998 Ford Falcon Sedan with duel fuel. I paid him $750 (AuD) because the wreckers only wanted to pay him $500. There was nothing wrong with the car. It was just taking up space in his yard. I spend a further $1080 to get it serviced, cleaned, new shocks, repaired a hole in the rear bar and replaced the front shield wiper blades. The rego is still valid until June 2015. I will then register it on my name when we are back there. And that is a lot of car for under $2000. I Get good mileage on the duel fuel and will hang on to it for as long as I can.

You should be fine with your budget, as long as you don't buy the first "to good to be true deal" - those are the ones that might bite you in the tush..!

• Like 1

We leaving for Melbourne end May. We in a similar predicament regarding getting a vehicle at first or using public transport. I am leaning more towards buying a vehicle to get us to interviews. Our meager budget of 5k, we can probably get a high mileage NIssan Xtrail according to carsales.com.au.

anybody have any experience with this car? good or bad?

I can help you perhaps TazzN,

I landed with a contract in hand and could get a car on finance with a deposit. This may not be the option you want to go though. You can get a great car for 5000, I picked up a 2003 Passat for 8995, it was bloody mint! I sold it 3 years later for 2x the retail price in a private sale. Shop about, and MAKE SURE you know how to poke about a car to check for issues, like smash repair, leaks, shot dampers, oil issues etc. Remember, you have the power, you don't like, walk.

Aussies do not thrash cars like Joburgers do. A car here with 180k on the clock is in better knick in general than a car with 50k in Joburg. Here I would be happy to buy a high miler, as long as it has a full service history. An alternative to the Camry and similar are the older model VW's great cars and run like a dream. My Passat never gave me a single hiccup despite being 10 years old at the time of purchase.

But then again I am anal and went through the car like a laser....found one switch not working, rear left passenger foot well light blown(1/2 the size of a pea), loose clip in boot tie down and a broken cable tie on a cable housing under the car. (Yes I'm a dog but it's my money and my family's life!) :blush-anim-cl:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Buying a 2nd hand car is the same all over the world, you can get a good one or a lemon. Best to have a good look before you buy. With regards to a small car or big car, I recently sold my 2004 Holden Commodore 3.8l V6 and it used 7.8l/100km on the open road and about 9l/100km in town. It had 250 000km on the clock and still going strong when I sold it. If you don't stay in a main city you will need a car. There is hardly any/no public transport in the regional areas of Australia. Check carsales.com.au and get a better idea of what you can get.

Agree peter,

But you can substanitally reduce your risk by doing some basic checks that most car salesmen cannot BS around. That is why I don't mind poking around the car. if it annoys the saleman, I really don't care! :ilikeit: