ICAA Skills Assessment

Shehraan

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of gathering all my docs in order to get my skills assessed. My question is if anyone has done theirs recently with ICAA? If so, did you choose the combined assessment? I am confused as to which assessments to do. I understand that you need to have your qualification assessed as well as your skilled employment. Will the combined assessment cover both of these?

The website says 8 weeks processing time, does it really take that long?

Thanks in advance

Hi Shehraan,

I did the combined one - ie qualifications AND work experience.

I did mine in November 2014 when they first allowed email submissions, and it took just over 3 weeks. However perhaps that turnaround has changed in 2015 - maybe some other accountants who went through the process more recently can confirm?

Edited by EmNew

Yes, it was $550.

Hi Shehraan, I also did the combined through ICAA - degree/skills for points in the equivalent degree category and work experience for points in that category.

It took forever for me because I didn't give them the information that they wanted but their processing standard at the time was about 4 weeks.

When they start assessing your work experience, do they start assessing from the time you obtained your under graduate degree or is it from when you obtained your post graduate degree?

I obtained my under graduate in 2007, honours without CTA in 2008 and honours with CTA while I started my articles in 2010. I started working in 2009.

So does my work experience start from 2009? Or from 2011?

My (limited) understanding is that they will assess your work experience from the time that you have satisfied the minimum core knowledge requirements for your nominated skilled occupation (available on the website). the honours without CTA probably gives you enough credits so chances they may assess from 2009...

Read the website below for more details

http://www.charteredaccountants.com.au/The-Institute/Migration-assessment/How-to-Apply/Skilled-employment-assessment.aspx

Edited by data

Agree with Data--must b from when u had the core knowledge.

Did hubby's combined with ICAA - waited 5weeks. Very efficient service.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

My husband and I am very new to this whole process. To be honest, we are not entirely sure where to start.

If anyone can assist with a legit and good migration agent in Johannesburg whom we can meet face to face with it would be great. There is so many scamsters out there, I am finding it difficult to trust anyone.

I would like to know if it is going to be possible to find a job while we are in SA in order to get a sponsorship in Aus or do we rather apply for the 189 VISA first? I have completed my BCom Accounting and Law degree and have been working in finance ever since.

What if the skills assessment is not successful? Will they advise on what your shortcomings are and do you have to pay for the skills assessment again once you have done everything from your side to "pass" the assessment?

I have read that their is not a lot of openings for accountants in Aus, should I be worried about this or will I still get in?

Do you have to use a agent or is it explanatory enough to do the whole process by yourself?

Thanks

Mara

Hello Mara,

Welcome to the forum and the process.

I can recommend Migrate2Oz in Joburg - I used them from Cape Town, so didn't get a face to face with them, but still had my hand held nicely through the process.

Not sure about process if you fail the skills assessment - would assume you would have to pay for it again. I did the skills and qualification dual assessment through ICAA, but Migrate2Oz advised exactly what I needed to collate for it. My best advice would be to contact them to find out that you meet the core requirements for the visa and pre application skills assessment. They would also advise which visa suits your particular situation - ie sponsored vs 189.

Sadly I doubt you would secure work from SA before heading over, unless your current employer has a branch there and can secure a transfer.

I personally am going over without a job , as most people on a 189 do.

As for not many slots for accountants left open - you are correct - the quota for 2014/2015 year is nearing its ceiling - cycle ends 30/06/2015, which means you have effectively 2.5 months to get all done. Again, a call to Migrate2Oz will advise whether or not it's feasible to apply this cycle, or waiting until new cycle starts 1/07/2015

All the best.

Thank you very much for your advise and your welcome. Must admit this is the most stressful thing I have ever done. I am sure it will be al worth it in the end.

I have requested a quote from them and they advised a 189 visa.

I will book an appointment.

Have a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

We submitted on 24/03/2015 and are still waiting for results. :cry: I was hoping we could submit an EOI before the next round, 24/04/2015.

Edited by MelJ

Hey MelJ,

What occupation are you currently having assessed? I sent my application through today for general accountant so trying to get an indication of how long the process is currently taking?

Hi TimmysMom, Accountant (general) - ANZSCO 21111. It depends on what option you choose. In hindsight, we should have chosen the Fast track option.

• Like 2

My agent has told me that turn around times can be as quick as 6 working days so I find it a bit strange that you are still waiting - but then again, I'm not speaking from experience.

Holding thumbs it comes through soon!

I have heard it takes about 3 weeks. I hope not that our assessment is unsuccessful.

• 1 month later...

I submitted my application on 4 May with correctly certified documents.Today I received my assessment results as unsuccessful. I am not a very happy camper right now but my agent has suggested I get my syllabus from UNISA and do a review for a fee of $150. I know this is just a bump in the road and not the end but I feel so defeated...

Sorry to hear that QACR. :(

Which qualification did you do through UNISA, and which years? I have some B Compt & B Compt Hons outlines etc that I used for my ICAA assessment that I could forward you if they're what you need? ( mine are 1992-1996 )

If we don't have compatible years / degrees / subjects, I can recommend contacting the archives department at UNISA directly.

After being passed from pillar to post last year, I eventually landed up with a very helpful lady, Lufuno Kgamedi ( kgamel@unisa.ac.za )

Hope that you can see over the bump soon......

Thank you. I did B.Comm (with specialization in Management Accounting) 1999-2004. I will definitely use that email address. I have 24 of 34 Syllabus' already so just need last few...

• 2 weeks later...

Good day,

This might be a little bit of the topic, but please can someone maybe give me some advice?

I'm looking into studying/converting my degree maybe to something useful in OZ, I have a Bcompt degree and received a positive skills assessment from the ICAA, but not sure which pathway to use.

I looked at the following pathways:

- starting with CIMA here in SA, which I can continue in OZ

- or trying to do the CPA pathway from SA and maybe completing it when we arrive in OZ or

- or trying to do the IPA pathway from SA's side as well

Any advice will be appreciated please.

Is it difficult to find a job as an accountant? or how long is the average turn around time? (not sure if it is possible to advise on this?)

Thanks

Manie

Hi Manie,

I am CA and CIMA qualified. While I do prefer the CIMA qualification and what it represents, it is such an unknown here in oz compared to the CPA.

I also think it is easier to transition from a finacial reporting role to a management accounting role than the other way though.

Having said that, you have a degree and should have an idea whether you would like to go the financial accounting route or the management accounting route.

Just to throw something else into the mix - why not consider a MCom in management accounting from an Oz uni if you want to go the management accounting route.

My experience on the job front was that I landed in Sydney and was able to start work the second week after looking for a job - 6 month contract. Took a salary cut and step back which is okay for now because im just happy to be here.

Good luck in your decision.

Dan

If you choose to do either CIMA or CPA you can register with both as they have a reciprocal agreement. Something to consider.

Good luck with your decision!

Edited by Peanuts

Thank you for this information, this is very helpful.

Thank you and see you soon :ilikeit: