Applying for citizenship on the 189 Visa

Alchemist

Hi Guys

Just a question as the IMMI website is quite technical. If we check in and activiate the PR in June and only go in 3 years say, does the PR extend for a further few years in order to gain acceptance as a citizen or once we are living there, its indefinate and we can apply anytime after a 3 year period?

Hope i make myself clear. :)

Your 189 PR visa is only vakid for 5 years. You should have a date on the grant letter by which you have to activate the visa and a date that says something "must not enter after" which is the same as the expiry date.

From my understanding, it is not possible to renew a PR visa you can only apply for a Resident Return Visa which you have to have lived in Australia for 18 months or more to qualify for. The RRV is then valid for a further 5 years after which you have to take citizenship.

P.S. Your residents status does not expire, merely the visa but should the visa expire while you are here you will not be able to travel out of the country until you either apply for the RRV or take citizenship.

oh so if we late in arriving (ie in 4 years) we have 3 years of not being allowed to travel until we become citizens?

Yes, you would need a residents return visa to travel after your current VISA has expired. If your current VISA has expired and you don't yet have a residents return VISA then you can't travel.

I was unaware of the 18 months a rule. I understood that you apply for a residents return visa and the government will grant it if they feel you are committed to living in Australia.

I assume its also a form of tax. Citizens pay to renew their passports, so its only fair that residents pay for a residents return VISA.

And, yes.. The immi website can be carefully worded. They are just trying to cover themselves. Most government websites are "carefully worded". Never underestimate an ability to cover his rear end.

Lastly, the job market is picking up in Sydney and Melbourne. Perth is still lagging behind after the last mining boom. So, its a good time to arrive now. The job market will be terrible again around the next federal election in 2017 if labour are likely to take over from the liberal/national coalition.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Australian_federal_election

Edited by monsta