6 weeks in and .........

Ericadslv

So, we have been here for 6 weeks and WOW, what a roller-coaster of emotions.........

I suppose i should have heeded all the warnings of previous members who advised that it would be very difficult in the beginning - it has taken me lots of courage to start writing this post because i knew all the emotions will come flooding right back up again. I don't want to show too many emotions to my family as i don't want them to be in the same boat as I am, so i guess this is a good place to vent.

So, we arrived early February, with lots of hope and even more expectations. Well, nothing happened as planned - it never does. We arrived in Sydney and stayed with my aunt for a few days and during that time, feverishly applied for jobs. We had converted our CV's into the Australian format while we were in SA, so i don't think there was an issue there.

After about 3 days we left for Canberra with much excitement. We continued to apply for 100's of jobs and started looking for accommodation, which wasn't easy with 4 kids. Sad to say, we had not one response from any of our applications (maybe 1 or 2 e mail regrets and that was it). I have to take my hat off to my OH - he has been so super positive and encouraging throughout and if not for him, i think i would have crumbled a long time ago. We could not put the kids into school as we had no permanent accommodation, so they were also getting frustrated. Eventually my OH suggested we go to Sydney so that he could do a few courses instead of sitting around and waiting, so we trecked back to Syndey for a few days and he did his white card and his Hyster Licence. We then decided to apply for work in other states as Canberra seemed really dead with work. After staying in Canberra for a month, my aunt suggested we stay with her in Sydney until we find our feet, which was a really wonderful gesture as we felt so lost at this point.

So, we moved to my aunt and put the kids into school - the smile on their faces was priceless and more than enough reward for all the heartache. My OH eventually received a call for some casual work in Sydney (Thank God for this).

I keep hitting brick walls with every application that i submit - that one door just won't open for me. I have applied for positions right at the bottom and even offered my services on a voluntary basis (hoping to get the Australian experience whichever way i can), but keep hitting a brick wall. I get really low days where i sit on my own and just cry and ask why i have done this to my family and yet i know we can't go back. As a last resort, I decided to enroll to do a course just to keep my mind occupied so i don't implode.

I am forever grateful to my aunt for taking us in, but it is really difficult to stay with family. We poor homeless, unemployed family have to live under their rules and my poor kids get it from all ends - as if the move hasn't been hard enough on them. So, we are facing another hurdle, finding a place to rent. I never imagined it would be so difficult to find accommodation. I DESPERATELY need my own space.

I keep reminding myself that it can't get any worse and i know that it is challenges like this that make us stronger - it is just so very hard sometimes and i don't know how much longer i can keep a brave face. I pray everyday and it breaks my heart when i put the kids to bed at night and my little girl prays "dear Lord, please help my mummy and daddy to find work so we can get our own home". Never in my wildest dreams did i ever think that we would be in a position like this.

I thank God for bringing us to this beautiful country and i know in my heart that he would not have brought us here and allowed us to suffer. Having said that my OH just called to say he has a job interview this afternoon, so praying for the best possible outcome. I am also grateful that we have managed to find a church nearby.

I know that things can only get better and i trust and believe that God brought us to this beautiful country for a reason....... we just have to be patient......

• Like 5

Strongs to you and your family. Things eventually work themselves out over time; before you know it you'll be back on track.

If you'd like, I can have a look at your CV and also put together a generic cover letter that you can then change based on the job that you are applying for. I'm no expert, but have written a few for family and friends ;)

• Like 1

Hi,

Just wanted to say that I understand what you are going through, its tough on so many levels. It will work out, the pieces of the puzzle will fall into place. Hang in there and know that you are not alone.

• Like 1

Erica, have you joined any of the multiple RSA's facebook groups in Sydney? Or the business groups via Linkedin? Take Gwerty up on her offer. Where in Sydney are you based? Please tell us what jobs you are looking for, you never know who reads this.

Aaaah Erica, I can SO empathise with you, we've been in a very similar situation as you regarding family, also have four little ones, no permanence and STILL, after five and a half months, no job. We're living off our SA house's money ! It's very hard some days to relax in faith that our Heavenly Father has by no uncertain terms confirmed to us that we are where He wants us to be. Some days are better, some harder. But we KNOW that we should focus on the kids getting settled for now. We're homeschooling, so having four kids at home and daddy gone to work in a strange environment and with only one car, can become just a but too hard on mommy !! So the kids comes first and that keeps us parents focused and emotionally stable for now ... :blush: .

I guess all of us come with the silent hope of finding a job ASAP. We are one of those families who had to learn to wait and learn that sometimes there are priorities higher than an immediate income.

So chin up and let us know the outcome of hubby's interview !!

• Like 2

We pray for outcome. This is difficult coming over with employment, I cannot imagine how difficult it must be without. Don't be afraid to cry - and encourage the kids to show their emotions too.

Dear Ericadslv,

I pray that things will be good with you. You have only been there 6 weeks. You still on holiday- don't allow panic to set in or desperation. You need to stay focused on making this goal happen for YOU, your Husband and yours 4 children. I know that the need to get a job "right now" is paramount (as will be for many) but never give up on God's timing. If you look deep into it - things are moving in the right direction for you- it may not be at the pace you want it too but it is moving (Hubby getting casual work, then getting an interview, kids in school etc). So hang in there. I would suggest you perhaps go directly into Estate Agents office explain your situation and see if they have alternatives to offer you. Perhaps it will be wise to state what fields your jobs are in as there can be people who can assist you on the forum- to point you in the right direction.

All the best to you guys and if you need anything at all- please don't hestitate to get in touch as soon as you can.

Kind regards

P.S. Don't ever doubt your decision- it was the right one! Now focus on the mission at hand and that is make Australia work for you and your family.

• Like 2

Hi Ericadslv.

I add my voice to all the above in saying we wish you and your family all the best. You are on our prayer list.

Rom 8:28.

As you were sponsored by ACT, perhaps you need to make them aware of the fact that you could not get a job there? If you just go and get a job in another state then it could end up being a problem for you, after the fact. If they know beforehand that you are having problems and the reason you have for going back to Sydney, they may well release you from your commitment to them and then you can look anywhere in Australia.

I also think you should tell us what jobs you both do, who knows, there may well be someone on the forum that can assist...

• Like 2

Thank you all for the positive advice, prayers and words of encouragement. You have no idea how much you have all touched me and made me feel more positive. Some good news - we managed to get a rental and only because we offered to pay 6 months rental upfront (so there goes our savings). I am so looking forward to having my own space again. it does mean that we will have to camp for a while as our container arrives in about 6 weeks, but that will just make it even more exciting. I have also registered to do volunteer work working with the aged - can't wait to make a positive impact. We have so much to be thankful for and i have decided to focus on the positives.

I have over 15 years in Human Resources. I am currently in South West Sydney (Campbelltown). Once we have permanent employment, we will decide where to settle.

@Mara - i have spoken to my settlement officer and all is in order. Thank you for the thought. I would still love to settle in Canberra as i really liked the relaxed feel, but we have to go where the work is.

@Qwerty - yes please can i send you my CV. Please pm me your email address. I really appreciate the gesture.

@Alida - Best wishes to you too. I am grateful to have a vehicle to get around and can only imagine how frustrating it must be sitting at home all day. I also found that sending the kids to school was the best thing ever. They are flourishing and have made so many friends. I will pray for you too as well as all those in the same boat as us.

God bless you all.

Edited by Ericadslv

Glad to hear that you had no problems with your settlement officer and that you have found a place of your own. Hopefully a job will pop up for you both soon!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Time for an update from our side forum friends. We have now been here 4 months and what a pleasant turn in events. We have moved into our rental and i cannot even begin to express how wonderful it feels having our own space. It has really made the world of difference, not just to us, but to the kids as well.

As far as work is concerned, after 3 months of nothing, I was made 4 offers all at the same time - all were contract positions, so I chose the one i felt i could gain the most amount of experience from and have been working now for 3 weeks. It feels so good to be working again. And, my luck has not stopped there. I received a call on Friday last week and have been made an offer for permanent employment in the one place i was really hoping to get into and i start work there on Monday. I am so grateful and thank God for the opportunity - all in God's time.

As it turns out, when i handed in my resignation, my Manager has offered to employ me permanently - wow, what a difficult position to be in. I am grateful to her for opportunity, but i am so drawn to the other position (even though the salary will be less, but i know i can grow there and i will be working in an environment that i hold close to my heart). So, i have to tell her today that i have made a decision to move on. I feel so bad to have to do this - i practically tossed and turned the whole night.

My husband has also found permanent employment and the kids are loving school and have loads of friends, so all is good. My eldest son has been accepted to study mechanical engineering at UTS and he is absolutely thrilled.

I am loving my new life and am so super positive about the future. Things can only get better.

Oh, and our container is finally going to be delivered tomorrow - yipppeeeeee (will finally have winter clothes and can sleep on proper beds). :D

• Like 5

I was just about to tell you to hang in there, it's early days and things WILL work out, and here you are, all happy and excited about the future! Can you imagine what would have happened if you gave up during those early days and went back? You did the right thing by being strong and sticking it out - your kids will thank you for it one day! I'm glad everything worked out for you - it's always very sad and concerning when someone is doing it tough! Another story with a happy ending! :ilikeit:

As far as work is concerned, after 3 months of nothing, I was made 4 offers all at the same time - all were contract positions, so I chose the one i felt i could gain the most amount of experience from and have been working now for 3 weeks. It feels so good to be working again. And, my luck has not stopped there. I received a call on Friday last week and have been made an offer for permanent employment in the one place i was really hoping to get into and i start work there on Monday. I am so grateful and thank God for the opportunity - all in God's time.

Amen! We are so happy for you! We arrive in 3 weeks, and your story gives us hope..