Homesick for the gorgeous scenery?

DXB2OZ

Ok, I ache. I ache in places I didn't even know I had places. But it was so worth it. First camping trip in Melbourne. Drove out to Apollo Bay, which was about 3 hours. Took the coastal route there, along the Great Ocean Road - reminded me of Chapman's Peak, the road to Pringle Bay, general Cape Coast - made this little Capetonian soooooo happy.

The campsite was just off the main road, seperated from the beach by a row of hedges. It was a powered site, so each site had a power point and a tap with running water. There was a pretty good shower block with hot showers and flushing toilets. There was even a kitchen area with sinks for washing dishes. Have never been camping in SA, so have no comparison.

The beach was lovely and almost empty. We spent most of the time boogie boarding (real waves aren't something you get much of in Melbourne as it is sheltered by the bay) and exploring the lava rock formations at either end of the beach.

Drove back along the inland route, with climbing hills, forested valleys and rolling farmlands. Reminded me a bit of Klerksdorp meets Three Sisters. I know we are moving on to a new life in a new land, but I do miss South Africa's scenic vistas. This weekend was like soul food for the senses and it was just divine.

Am attaching some photos (or trying to), just because it was all so beautiful that I have to share.post-18985-0-35171000-1427101398_thumb.jpost-18985-0-35171000-1427101398_thumb.jpost-18985-0-35171000-1427101398_thumb.jpost-18985-0-35171000-1427101398_thumb.jpost-18985-0-35171000-1427101398_thumb.jpost-18985-0-35171000-1427101398_thumb.j

• Like 3

Thanks for this DXB2OZ. To me it sounds like the longing will not go away until you have managed to fill those gaps with something in Australia. And you cannot necessarily replace everything in SA with something in Aus, but a lot of things you can. To me it sounds like Australia is not perfect just like SA, but some of the nice things are subtle and you discover them over time. Not sure if I am making any sense :unsure:.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing!!

Aus isn't as beautiful as SA. Sure Sydney is more beautiful than Durban, but not as beautiful as Cape Town.

I look at it this way.. When people ask me what I miss about SA; I say, "I miss the scenery. Its really beautiful over there".

• Like 1

Cairns area always gets me:

7970354746_1eed28473a_b.jpg

Untitled by fish.2, on Flickr

7970352894_fab04537d0_b.jpg

6303590935_8566df6745_b.jpgUntitled by

fish.2, on Flickr

6303585347_3e8534bc31_b.jpgUntitled by fish.2, on Flickr

7970363554_bd0e2b1268_b.jpg

6303586005_9edee612cb_b.jpgUntitled by fish.2, on Flickr

7970365466_8da3389195_b.jpg

7970359300_953cee0148_b.jpg

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Quite like outback Queensland as well (excuse my holiday phone snaps):

7970216118_4c48532353_b.jpg

Outback 026 by fish.2, on Flickr

7970148560_5f9a2aa695_b.jpg

Outback 012 by fish.2, on Flickr

7970272934_b86867b5ff_b.jpg

Outback 023 by fish.2, on Flickr

7970274592_d22fb3acde_b.jpg

Outback 040 by fish.2, on Flickr

7970273726_989ab0188c_b.jpg

Outback 025 by fish.2, on Flickr

7970275406_d1216d989d_b.jpg

Outback 055 by fish.2, on Flickr

7970276856_97135cc377_b.jpg

Outback 068 by fish.2, on Flickr

11147732646_287efbeeab_b.jpg

Outback 097 by fish.2, on Flickr

Edited by Fish

Aus isn't as beautiful as SA. Sure Sydney is more beautiful than Durban, but not as beautiful as Cape Town.

I look at it this way.. When people ask me what I miss about SA; I say, "I miss the scenery. Its really beautiful over there".

While I respect your opinion...I could not disagree more!I think RSA is beautiful but Australia has blown me away. Sydney has some incredibly beautiful places, Royal Natipnal Park. Jervis Bay, the illswarra highlands, the blue mountsins. Victoria also. The likes of the great ocean Road, the mornington peninsula.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinions...we all have different perspectives.

So glad you went out that way DXBtoOZ. It is one of my most favourite places to date.

• Like 1

I must be honest and say that Aus has more places than have taken my breath away than SA. Some of them in very unexpected places.

Some of the beaches are spectacular, as are some of the forests.

South Africa sure does have a lot of beauty, but I wouldn't write Aus off until you've seen more of it.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing DXB2OZ. We are avid campers in SA and my husband has been feeding me stories of long drops and cold showers being what Aus camping trips will be like. While I love my camping... I also really LOVE a hot shower!!!

DXB2OZ - could you share where you went and approx. cost???? We are heading to Melbourne shortly so definitely want to start collecting some good places to go camping :)

You're in for a treat Tazzn. There are so many camp sites to choose from and they vary in cost, powered, unpowered, bush toilet, proper amenities with hot showers, pets, no pets, expensive, cheap, free, you name it!

Do you have kids? Are you into more family orientated camping or more remote bush type stuff?

We're going next week actually - trip with friends - to Big4 Wye River...Haven't been to that one before but I believe it's good.

Edited by HansaPlease

Hansa that most definitely brings a smile to my dial :)

We have a daughter of 3 and in RSA we've done both family orientated and more rustic camping (we love the bush - hiking, fly fishing, bird watching). I am more than happy to go non power and rustic bathrooms but a hot shower (even if it's gas) and a loo of some description is definitely on my needs list :)

If you wouldn't mind sharing a list of your fav spots in Melbourne for us newbies :)

Hugely embarrassed, just reread my own post and noticed the same picture posted 5 times. The others were very pretty, you will all just have to take my word for it - this technology thing is obviously beyond me.

Anyway, I do a pretty good copy paste, so here is the link to the site where we were:

http://www.skenescreek.com

For the last few years we've been mostly doing "soft" camping with powered sites and amenities blocks because we have kids aged 6 and 4.

Big4 is a group of camp sites around the country that all fit to a certain "standard" so you know what to expect. Many of them have kids holiday programs and such, and most of them have a choice of cabins, caravan sites, powered tent sites and also unpowered. Most are near either a beach, river or tourist attraction of some sort. Check out big4 holiday parks on Google and you'll get an idea.

We haven't actually been to any in Melbourne as such - mostly within an hour to 4 hours drive.

Some favourites -

Lakes Entrance

Mount Beauty and Bright

Grampians (halls gap)

Echuca

In terms of actual park names I would have to get back to you - I forget :D

Maybe I'll start a camping thread!