What to do when I land?

Rush22

Arrival date is now 7 May 2015.........................

Please assist with some guidance on the top 5-10 administrative items to do once the jet lag wears off? I know that it has been discussed before, just want a current view if possible. Thanks.

1. If you already have an Oz bank acc, Visit your bank to identify yourself (we've done that on our LSD trip already) and

To obtain proof of address ( you just tell them where you stay and they will give you a letter with this info thereon. Do this for both you and the other half.

2. Visit the medicare /centrelink office and take with you: visa grant letter, passports, bank details, proof of address.

Ask for printout of medicare number ( we had to wait a week for this...)

3. As soon as you have a cell phone number and you are on a PR Visa, you can apply for the TFN online. Other temp visas have to visit the Post Office, not sure, but info is on the ATO website.

4. Convert drivers license at a Dot branch ( I just googled to see nearest branch) take with: 2 x proof of signature ie bank cards &/medicare card. Proof of address (letter from bank). SADrivers license. Proof of photo id (Passport). Glasses or contact lenses, because they will do a quick eye test. I think it was $128.70 for 5 year valid card, which works out cheeper in long run, but you can choose shorter period.

5. Wait for medicare and drivers cards in post and it should be there within a week. Our medicare cards still did not arrive, so I have to go back to request duplicate cards.

6. If you do not have wifi at your short stay appartment, sign up at local library.

7. Start looking for rentals and ask a rental application form at any agency to get an idea of what info you have to give when you finally apply for a rental. This was almost worse than form 80 for me... At least you have all the info written down in front of you. Or you can complete www.1form.com.au, but a hard copy worked better for me.

• Like 10

Kanniewagnie what a super concise list.. copying and pasting that for sure :)

Thanks!!!!!!

Still fresh in my memory. One thing I cannot prepare you for though, is the homesickness. I sometimes feel physically ill. I bite back the tears in Coles, I turn around to go back to the apartment, before even finishing my trip - stress do weird things to you.

One thing I would not be able to cope without: Internet and a GPS.

Oh and visit your public transport info centre to obtain a card (transperth smart rider here) and to figure out the system.

Edited by Kanniewagnie

Shame Kanniewagnie,

When did you guys land? Don't worry I'm sure it will get better. I lived in England for 2 years nad I remember the first couple of months were terrible. But it does pass, Vasbyt and remember always why you decided on Aus *HUGS*

PS. Thanks for the awesome list. Will also copy and paste and take note.

I say this all the time.. Sign up to volunteer! Aussies are super helpofull if they think you are a good person. If you go clean the toilets at church or braai sausages at a kids sporting event, you can meet the locals. They will be more than willing to tell you which schools are good in your area, which doctor to go to, etc.. They may even come and help you move into your first rental. For which you buy them a (good) beer and some pizza for lunch.

Seek.com.au has a volunteering section. Linkedin seems to have one. Or just google for volunteer opportunities in your area.

• Like 1

Kimmy, we arived 2 March.

Monsta, I'll start volunteering as soon as we secured a rental and our container arived & most important contents unpacked.

Kids start school on Monday, 23 March. It's a big thing for them!

Advice:

A. Bring 3 x note books.

1. You'll need to plan and make notes regarding rental viewings & applications. - a diary will also work.

2. You'll need to make notes regarding some useful websites, addresses for doctors /hospitals/ personnel agencies or any other places /people you want to remember / re-visit.

3. An A5 note book for work.

B.

Bring tekkies (sneakers) any colour and socks for children to wear to school - we thought it's summer, we only brought open shoes as tekkies takes up more space in the suitecase. Now they have to start school, so we had to buy sneakers today.

C.

Bring each child's pencil case (in the suitcase, not in the hand luggage) and if possible, use their school bag as hand luggage. It is not true for all schools that they have to use a school bag with their logo on.

Just double-check on the any colour sneakers for school. As far as I know the kids have to wear black closed-in shoes and white socks (or specific colour required by school) and can wear sneakers only on sport days.

The logo school bags are mostly required for private school - not public school.

Note books can be bought for cheap from most supermarkets, newsagents, dollar stores, BigW and KMart. If you don't have the weight/space for heaps of note books, bring one and buy the rest here as you need them (I still have note books and all kinds of other books for school etc which I brought from RSA 10 years ago and never used).

Most things can be bought here - the trick is to know where. Sometimes you could shop forever for the simplest things simply because you have no idea which shops stock which items. We needed a desk and did not know where to start looking as regular furniture stores did not have them. It's a bit frustrating initially, but once you find your feet, you can buy whatever you like in Australia! For the rest, there is online shopping.

Each state has its own road and traffic authority for licences:

NSW: http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au

VIC: https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au

WA: http://www.transport.wa.gov.au

SA: https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring

QLD: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au

There are many little things you need to do when you arrive but the most important things are finding a roof over your head, a method of transport, a job and a school for the kids.

Other things you'll need to do quite quick is opening a bank account, register for medicare, register for tax and get private health. Don't stress too much about all these things, it's actually quite quick and easy. Your local council will (in most cases) have a welcome pack for newcomers with a lot of information.

The biggest "lesson" I probably learnt was planning for the end of the world and it never happened. We went on a spending spree and bought everything we thought we'd never find in Australia, only to find the exact same, similar or better. I had to throw out so many things which reached expiry before I even opened it. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're going to Australia - not to another planet. :)

• Like 2

Hi guys,

Thanks you very much, this information is very helpfull.

We currently have short stay accommodation for two weeks, will this be enough time for us to do all of the above and still manage to get a rental for the year ahead?

Also what is a 'Dot Branch'?

Kind regards

Hi, DOT = Department of Transport

Yes, t is true that you'll find everything and more here in the shops. I just found that it would have been helpful to have these little initial essential stuff, because paying 'cheap' dollars in that first month, equals 'not so cheap Rands'.

Things I would have done differently: I would have left the story books at home. Although I only brought 4 small story books, the children were not really interested AND signing up at the library is so easy and free! So if you really want them to read, it's all available here and you will not believe it until you're here.

I'm glad I brought their pencil cases with basic stationary (pens, pencils, crayons, scisors, glue, rulers, etc)

I believe that in Sydney public schools the kids wear black school shoes, same as Private schools here in Perth. In Perth it seems like in Public schools it's sneakers, any color.

If you know in what area your child will attend, you can search on that school's website for their clothes to see more or less what to expect.

Mammoth,

Regarding the short stay, many people made it in 2 weeks, but my experience with Medicare was that they take a bit longer these days to deliver the Medicare cards. We visited the Medicare office on 3 March and our cards were delivered today, 30 March.

Many homes are advertised as 'available immediately', so if you see a place that suits you, but you paid for 2 months in a short stay, you can still apply to move in by the end of xxx month, but they'll take the application of the person who can occupy earlier.

I've also seen places that stood empty for a few weeks, because the owner is waiting for 'the right tennants'

When you arrive it takes a while to decide where you want to stay. So I'll say it is possible to find a place in 2 weeks, but it is nice to have more time to investigate the different areas, to speak to the locals etc before commiting yourself for 12 months.

Regarding the school bags. My son is now in Kindy (first year of school/5yrs old). The school colours and logo bag was only $20 and is of great quality, with broad, padded shoulder straps and really well designed. So, we bought that, but it seems its not compulsory, about 5-10% of them carry other ruck sacks.

The school clothes shop is great, staffed by mums who can give you the low down. I bought mostly new, with the odd spotless bargain from the used items they sell. I got 3 short sleeve shirts, 3 long sleeves, 3 grey shorts, 2 grey long trousers, 1 sports shirt, 1sports short, 1 sports track pants, 1 school jacket, 1rain coat, 1 art smock, 5 pairs of socks, 1 hat, 1 back pack, 1 chair bag, 1 snack bag, 1library bag. All this for $300 on the dot. Not bad for "expensive" Sydney.

• Like 1

@Kanniewagnie - thanks for the comprehensive list you gave earlier in this post, very helpful :)

I just have one question:

2. Visit the medicare /centrelink office and take with you: visa grant letter, passports, bank details, proof of address.
Ask for printout of medicare number ( we had to wait a week for this...)

Do you have to have proof of permanent address to sign up with Medicare?

My worry is that I'll be moving over without a job and might be living in temporary accomodation (maybe a motel) until I find one. Not sure how long it would take to find a job, but was hoping to sign up on Medicare as soon as possible.

Edited by OnMyWay

Proof of address is usually required in the form of an official letter sent to that address (such as utility bill etc). I'm really not sure how people who just arrived got past that one. We arrived on a 457 so it was 2 years before we got PR and could apply for Medicare, so we were already settled in Australia.

• Like 1

Thanks Riekie. That's what I was worried about. Looks like I might need to look into getting some type of short term medical insurance until I've got everything sorted out.

Hi OnMyWay

I applied for Medicare in February and a bank statement posted to my address was accepted as proof of address. This was at Karrinyup in Perth. Make sure you don't opt for Internet statements until you've had one or two statements posted to you, you can always change over later.

Changing my drivers license definitely required a utility bill and/or mail from a government department, or official source, sent to your home. I had bought and registered a car, so had the registration letter. By then we also had utility bills to present. You have 3 months to do the license, so you should be fine by then.

All the best, we're loving it so far!

Dill

Edited by Dill

Thanks for the info Dill.

We're looking forward to coming over, I'm sure its gonna be awesome :)

You'll be spending a lot more time walking outdoors (in all kinds of weather). So it's good to bring an umbrella /2.

They have raincoats for adults here at Lowes for $45 (did not shop around at other places yet). Waterbottles from $4 - $7 and up each.

I'm glad we packed our umbrellas, but if you have to buy, it is not too expensive, starting at $10 (not too sure about size).

• Like 1

I got an umbrella t the $2 shop in 2002, and it lasted and lasted until I allowed my daughter to use it and then it was "used up".

Funny how it lasted 5 years prior to that .... kids :glare:

• Like 2