Rentals- forms

Sol1

Hello guys,

I am just trying to plan ahead and vaguely recall coming across a post with rental tips where someone stated that one can download the offer forms from the estate agents website and have it pre filled and handed in when an offer needs to be made. However, I looked at a few agents websites but can't seem to find these forms. Can someone please advise me if it is possible to still download these forms or if someone has them if they can let me know how I can get hold of these forms. Thanks alot for all your help in advance.

• Like 1

Be aware that many agents won't accept these forms.

Be aware that many agents won't accept these forms.

Why is that Sunnyskies? What else do they require? Would a letter of reference from an Aussie citizen or resident help?

Thanks a lot guys.

I merely wanted the rental forms- so that I can see what sort of questions they ask and base any supporting documents that I need to bring along, on that. I think looking at the questions in advance will help me with what I need and also how to answer certain questions.

Thanks a lot for all your help guys.

Kind regards

Anything that could give you the edge over another application is helpful, even if it is not asked for (such as bank statements, payslips for the last 12 months, character references, proof of previous rental history, recommendation from previous landlord, if you owned a property, proof of length of residence at this property, an offer to pay 3 or 6 months in advance or sign an extended lease, written confirmation that you're non-smokers and do not own pets etc. A family photo would not hurt either...)

What they want is someone who will pay, someone who will stay and someone who will not wreck the place. The better you can prove that, the better your chances of getting the property.

• Like 1

For the straight application forms, go to the agent's website - I used LJ Hooker here and clicked on Rentals and found this page for Canberra

http://canberracity.ljhooker.com.au/renting

If you look down the left side, you will see Tenancy Application Forms, click on that and get the PDF and fill it in - you are now ready to go for any LJ Hooker property in Canberra. Of course LJ Hooker forms won't work real well on a Badenach property, but you probably knew that ....

• Like 1

Thank you Reikie and Oubaas for you valuable information and advice. Much appreciated. I will take this advice seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

How much money would we need in our bank statement?

Neither one of us has a job lined up on the other side so we won't be able to give employers letters. My husband thinks we should have the year's rent x 2.

My problem is that I am still very much in a sceptic South African mind set and I don't want to transfer that amount of money into a bank account when I haven't even got a bank card. We both have Australian immigrant accounts open but I first want to go to the bank to see very thing is "real". Like I said I'm a South African living in Johannesburg I trust no one ( hopefully after being in Australia for a while I'll become more trusting again)

We also only have two weeks short stay accommodation, will this be enough time to find a rental and get approval?

Thanks

Mammoth

If you bank with CBA, ANZ,NAB or Westpac you don't have to worry. Make sure you apply for the bank account off their official website.

As usual there are phishing scams in Aus but if you always go through the official website or banking app you shouldn't have issues.

• 7 months later...

Hi al

I have a quick question, when we came to the UK and wanted to rent we were asked to give 4 months of rent upfront because we are from South Africa and did not have any references. Is that the case in Oz (Brisbane)?

TThanks Rene

We have never had to pay our rent upfront, but other forumites have been asked to pay upfront or offered to pay upfront when they are unable to provide proof in income.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. We've just gone through the whole process last week. I must say that the renting process is somewhat different here. We marked off six houses that we wanted to look at. Before the show days we drove around and had a look at the area and the front of the houses. Then we rocked up for show day. Show day is actually more like 'show minutes' You have about 15 to 20 minutes where the house is open and then it is a mad rush with many couples looking around, all wanting the same houses.

Luckily, we took advice from this site and went prepared. We pre-printed the application forms, filled them out and attached all of our documentation in an envelope ready to hand in if we liked the place. You're going to get the 'but you have no rental history in Australia'! We arranged a reference from friends that we were staying with (in Oz) and also a reference from the agent who sold our house in ZA. We also wrote our own cover letter explaining who we were, what we did, why we wanted this specific area. We also told them (the owner) that we would treat their humble abode as if it were our own. The biggest thing here seems to be the 100 points of ID. This can be fun! We submitted copies of both drivers licences, both birth certificates, offer of employment, 3 recent payslips, mobile phone bill and bank statement.

We ended up only liking two of the houses and submitted our already completed documentation - this was on the Saturday.

Monday afternoon we were contacted by both agents and told that we had been approved!!

The moral of the story - be prepared!

If you need to have documents copied or scanned, just look for 'Officeworks'. They have been a life saver for us.

• Like 5

Itchyfeet thanks so much for a recent update, definitely good to know !!

We are staying with a cousin of mine for now, going to be a bit like gypsies till we know when our furniture will arrive, then only will I lock myself in to a lease!

But have heard the more good info you have attached to your application the better, everything but a saliva sample haha

We never had any issue getting a rental. We went to see 2 properties put an offer down on the 2nd one we saw and it was approved. We never put added info on paperwork or photos but we did offer to pay 3 months upfront. We only signed 6 month lease too. Not sure if its that difficult securing a rents as some make out, it may depend on the area.

Hi Emma. Are you PR status or on a 457 or other visa?

We never had any issue getting a rental. We went to see 2 properties put an offer down on the 2nd one we saw and it was approved. We never put added info on paperwork or photos but we did offer to pay 3 months upfront. We only signed 6 month lease too. Not sure if its that difficult securing a rents as some make out, it may depend on the area.

Try shifting Point Cook to Collingwood or South Yarra and see if you find the same results, or pick any inner city Sydney suburb. Your comparison, from a local perspective would be like comparing renting on The Bluff to Durban North or La Lucia. Which do you think has a higher demand?

Congratulations Itchyfeet, well done on not only acquiring your rental, but being well prepared for it as well.

Cheers

Matt

Hi itchy feet. We are on a PR visa ? Enjoying life here in Melbourne.

@Matt yes as I mentioned I am sure it all depends on where you settle. We were very fortunate to not have to jump through hoops to secure a rental, although we did all that was suggested on the forum just incase.

Hi guys. We've just gone through the whole process last week. I must say that the renting process is somewhat different here. We marked off six houses that we wanted to look at. Before the show days we drove around and had a look at the area and the front of the houses. Then we rocked up for show day. Show day is actually more like 'show minutes' You have about 15 to 20 minutes where the house is open and then it is a mad rush with many couples looking around, all wanting the same houses.

Luckily, we took advice from this site and went prepared. We pre-printed the application forms, filled them out and attached all of our documentation in an envelope ready to hand in if we liked the place. You're going to get the 'but you have no rental history in Australia'! We arranged a reference from friends that we were staying with (in Oz) and also a reference from the agent who sold our house in ZA. We also wrote our own cover letter explaining who we were, what we did, why we wanted this specific area. We also told them (the owner) that we would treat their humble abode as if it were our own. The biggest thing here seems to be the 100 points of ID. This can be fun! We submitted copies of both drivers licences, both birth certificates, offer of employment, 3 recent payslips, mobile phone bill and bank statement.

We ended up only liking two of the houses and submitted our already completed documentation - this was on the Saturday.

Monday afternoon we were contacted by both agents and told that we had been approved!!

The moral of the story - be prepared!

If you need to have documents copied or scanned, just look for 'Officeworks'. They have been a life saver for us.

itchyfeet, that is EXACTLY why most of us gave the advice we did (or have done in my case). Boy Scout motto - get in and look organised to the agent, who wields great power to the owner. She will give the owner her impression of the short list of applicants.

Well, back in 2002, when we were looking in Perth, it was a real renter's market - a few of the agencies just gave us the keys to two or three houses and sent us off to look at them on our own. Good days .... :)

Edited by OubaasDik