Going back to University

Cole

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of going to university once we've landed, to study in a medical stream. I understand from the local universities in SA that I should probably redo my high school maths and science in order to improve my chances of being selected (for a South African University), but since I'll probably only start when I'm in Oz; I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on whether I should redo South African maths and science (eg through Damelin); or whether there are options to redo those subjects in Oz, through one of their accredited associations? Thanks in advance.

Are you a school leaver or will you be a mature aged student? I don't think you should redo any subjects but wait till you get here and decide what you want to study. You may require a bridging course, depending on your situation and on the course you would like to study. Many students here start another course in their area of interest if they can't get into their 1st option, then swap over to the 1st choice for the 2nd year. Many ways to skin a cat, but it really depends on so many things.

Check out your course on the various uni websites - it will have the entry requirements for each course.

• Like 1

Hi Riekie, I'm in my thirties. Thanks so much for your feedback, that marks one less thing to do before we pack up, so I'm quite relieved I don't have to think about it now.

You'll be seen as a mature aged student. If you've studied anything post-school, it will be helpful but your work experience also contributes to your assessment. I haven't studied anything after school in RSA and enrolled successfully for studies at uni here in Australia at the age of 43.

What is it that you want to study? Which city will you live in?

If you're willing to wait a while until you have citizenship, you will qualify for HECS which basically covers most of your studies and for the part you have to pay, you can defer it until you earn enough money to pay tax over a certain threshold. More info here:

http://studyassist.gov.au/sites/studyassist/helppayingmyfees/hecs-help/pages/hecs-help-welcome

This is the current situation - there's a lot going on in politics at the moment in revising this scheme, but for now, this is what you'll qualify for as a citizen.