new 2 this forum

Gregory

Hi all.

My wife Samantha and i have decided on a bold new adventure together with our kids. We are looking at brisbane as anew home...any advice welcome...

• Like 1

Welcome Gregory, I do hope that the forum will answer many of your questions.

The only advice I can give you immediately, is to go where the jobs are, rather than to a place you think you may like. If the jobs for you are in Brisbane, then you are heading in the right direction.

I trust you love humidity?

• Like 2

The only advice I can give you immediately, is to go where the jobs are, rather than to a place you think you may like. If the jobs for you are in Brisbane, then you are heading in the right direction.

You don't need to love humidity to choose Brisbane Mara. Many who live here don't like the humid days but prefer the weather overall when comparing with other cities across all seasons rather than just comparing Brisbane's worst season. :grads:

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

welcome! Its a long journey but hopefully we can make it easier.

• Like 1

welcome! Its a long journey but hopefully we can make it easier.

Thanks, I live close to Honeydew - next to the Walter Sisulu Botanical Gardens...

thanks but it is a choice based on some family already being there....

• Like 1

Hi All.

Myself and my husband have decided 2 years ago that we want to move to Australia.We then went to an agency and gave them a deposit to help us with the process to immigrant.

Unfortunately we were scammed by this agency and lost our deposit monies in the process. ..

We now have decided to make this move on our own without a help of and agency.

My husband is looking for a sponsored job opportunity/offer.

He has his trade certificate in Carpentry and is looking for a job offer.

Can anyone please help us find our way to getting my husband a sponsored job opportunity. .

Is there any websites that gives us access to employers in Australia that offers sponsored job opportunities.

Please assist us with the process to move and live in Australia. ...

All help will be much appreciated. ...

Edited by Jamel

Dear Gregory

We also considering Brisbane and of course our start to see where to settle etc all stemmed from schooling first. What seems to be a really great city makes it hard to narrow it down. The good areas seem to be Hendra, Indooroopilly, Kenmore, Ashgrove, Corinda.

Areas to avoid seem to be Fortitude Valley and then some areas like 30km out the city to the south west - Inana, Ipswich etc

Go to citihobo.com. Great summaries on suburbs

We moved to Brisbane for work after 6 years in Melbourne. There is work here - maybe not as much as Sydney but there are also fewer candidates for each job. I've just had to hire 2 new staff members and it was hard to get the right skills set.

The areas Annalise mentioned are good areas. But there are also many more. If you don't mind distance you can travel in and have cheaper rent. We pay more but my commute is short - 10 minutes on the train and we live close to the areas that Annalise mentioned.

I wouldn't necessarily choose an area known to be a Saffer hangout. There are so many Saffers around you can't help but meet them.

• Like 1

Sunny Skies out of interest which ones are the very SA ones. I like that approach. No need to settle in places with only SA's. Need to integrate!

• Like 1

North Lakes, Chappel Hill and Kenmore are well known as Saffer places.

I'm sure there are plenty more due to the numbers of Saffers living in Brissie.?

Even in my street is another Saffer. Although we are an eclectic bunk of Kiwi, Sri Lankan, Danish, Saffer and Aussie.

Can anyone please help us find our way to getting my husband a sponsored job opportunity. .

Is there any websites that gives us access to employers in Australia that offers sponsored job opportunities

Hey Jamel,

Very few companies will sponsor a migrant without having someone here vouch for them. The Aussie government has designed the system to make it hard to sponsor people. Thats so that employers will employ locals.

The VISA system is run by politicians, whose opinions change with the breeze. Sometimes they seem to think that its easier to accept people who have a job offer rather than check out their qualifications, age, etc.. And say, "yes Jamel is a skilled enough to get a job here". They worry about your qualifications because qualified people are of a " higher calliber". There have been fiascos like the Vietnamese in Cabramatta. The government didn't check those peeps out properly and they struggled to fit in and many turned to drink and other things just to cope.

I know the prospect of "1st world Juju" deciding your future isn't great. But you need to work with the system.

Start by contacting an agent who is a member of the MARA. That's the Aussie government body who regulates migration agents. Part of being a MARA member is that you have to give free and honest assessments to everyone. They can't take your money unless they think you have a reasonable chance of getting a VISA

https://www.mara.gov.au/about-us/

The MRA website should have a list of members. Or you could ask around here for a MARA member that the peeps here have used.

I am not a MARA registered agent, nor a government employee.. So I can't give out migration advise. But I started by looking at the Skilled Occupations List on immi.gov.au and found my profession was listed. Then I hunted around around on that site for the name of the assessing body for my skilled occupation. The assessing body that assessed my skills required me to have 4 years work experience and a degree. I then found a points test on immi.gov.au and realised that I might qualify for a VISA based on my skills, age, English ability, etc..

Edited by monsta

Sunny Skies out of interest which ones are the very SA ones. I like that approach. No need to settle in places with only SA's. Need to integrate!

It annoys me when saffers get hung up on "integrating". Integration is a lot easier WITH other South Africans than without. Do not try and avoid SA's like the pest walking around like a robot that has been programmed to ONLY mix with non South Africans like we have some kind of disease.

You can integrate just fine with both. Nobody will stop mixing with locals.Trust me,you will be really thankful for your SA friends.

It's like when another fellow South African refers to me as "mate". That is not natural and that makes it look like you are trying SO HARD to fit in that you are even willing sell out our proud cultural heritage to be accepted as an Aussie.

Newsflash: They know you are South African. Calling a fellow South African "mate" is not going to change that. It just makes it look like you're a sell out with no backbone that's afraid to stand up for your culture, your country, where you come from and what you believe in.

Be proud to be South African (without being arrogant about it) and stop hiding in the crowd by "integrating".

You can integrate without denying who you are and where you come from. We add value here. We are not leaches.

A lot of anger there SA Aussie?

Take it easy, everyone is entitled to live their lives as they wish. Perhaps they are of the opinion that they will settle easier if they integrate into Aussie society quickly!

Just because that is what they wish to do does not automatically mean they are denying their heritage, come on, that is a bit harsh.

I guess that I should not tell you then that I am an English speaking (mostly) van der Merwe?

• Like 1

O Mara.. ou Van.. Waar het dit nou verkeerd gegaan? LOL. Ja, jong.

Daar is ongelukkig sommiges onder ons wat reken dat die beste manier om te "integreer" is om ander Suid Afrikaners te vermy en te fokus op meng met ander groepe..

En ja, sê: hey ouboet, ja swaer, hey my maat, ja boet, my mater, hey beesblaas etc.. maar nie "hey mate" nie.

Let wel ons praat hier van tussen 2 Suid Afrikaners. 'n Aussie kan enige tyd dit vir my sê. Geen pyn nie.

I don't think anyone is saying avoid Saffers. In fact I didn't even say integrate - so obviously the tirade is not directed at me. But I do find it irritating when I encounter people who only hang out with people from the old country.

Heritage is fine and be proud of your roots, and have Saffer friends but if you only want to hang with people who are just like you then you are behaving like other immigrants that get bashed for not integrating.

I do agree leave the mate for the mates.

It annoys me when saffers get hung up on "integrating". Integration is a lot easier WITH other South Africans than without. Do not try and avoid SA's like the pest walking around like a robot that has been programmed to ONLY mix with non South Africans like we have some kind of disease.

You can integrate just fine with both. Nobody will stop mixing with locals.Trust me,you will be really thankful for your SA friends.

It's like when another fellow South African refers to me as "mate". That is not natural and that makes it look like you are trying SO HARD to fit in that you are even willing sell out our proud cultural heritage to be accepted as an Aussie.

Newsflash: They know you are South African. Calling a fellow South African "mate" is not going to change that. It just makes it look like you're a sell out with no backbone that's afraid to stand up for your culture, your country, where you come from and what you believe in.

Be proud to be South African (without being arrogant about it) and stop hiding in the crowd by "integrating".

You can integrate without denying who you are and where you come from. We add value here. We are not leaches.

I don't understand this....saying mate may not work for you but a blanket statement saying it shouldn't work for anyone just denies the variety of people that exist. Not everyone feels like the same about things nor should they. Live and let live.

Shooo SA AUssie

Relax I didn't mean any ill intention

Im new to all this and I have heard so many times how when I get there I should integrate by understanding the Ozzies

I will never let go of my roots. By integrating I don't mean that

Im a foreigner in SA in any event - im Italian. So no need to get worked up.

The biggest negative I hear from people who come back is that Australians can be racist and xenophobic so I thought perhaps living in a suburb where lots of different cultures mix may be a way to go.

People are entitled to their own views. We all need to be mature enough to understand comment and not throw toys out the cot on one little sentence that was interpreted badly because like I say im not coming there to forget my roots but try embrace a country that I hope will give my children a future I unfortunately don't see here in SA for them anymore.

• Like 1

Now you will all understand why I try to calm the waters when someone gets so worked up about our heritage!

SA Aussie, niks het verkeerd gegaan nie, ek het in Rhodesia groot geword en was in Engels geskool... ek het ook met 'n rooinek getrou... alhoewel ek nog steeds Afrikaans kan verstaan, praat en skryf, verkies ek om dit in Engels te doen, baie makliker vir my. Ek was nog nooit behep met my voorvaders nie, ek het my eie lewe gelei, goed of sleg, my besluite was my eie. Ek mag miskien net byvoeg, my laaste twee jaar was in 'n Afrikaanse skool in Suid Afrika, die donkerste twee jaar van my lewe!

Initially I find, and try to, introduce new arrivals to other South Africans that I know, it helps to have someone that has gone through the same situation, to be a friend and answer your questions. In any case, how would I explain to my 'new' Aussie 'mate' that I think their mayonnaise is not up to scratch, but another South African will understand! It is bad enough arriving in a new country and knowing nothing, I know, as this forum and the internet was not available to me when I did my cross country journeys. I had to ask questions, of complete strangers, at the age of 44 I had to accept that I was probably stupid in their eyes, "how do you not know you have to go to the supermarket to use the phone to have your telephone, electricity and gas connected in your rental home".. in the USA, well New Mexico to be exact! So you see, if I had known a South African 'mate' in the USA, sheesh, I would have been so happy, as I would have been able to ask them!

I am not suggesting that upon arrival you should only befriend other South Africans, but do not discount how much easier they can make your initial journey. As time moves on and you become at home and more comfortable living in Australia, you will meet locals, especially if you have school aged children, and before you know it, you will have friends from all walks of life.

I am also not suggesting that you will become fast friends with every South African you meet, that is also not the case, but unless you give it a try, you will never know whether you have found a new good friend, this goes for anybody from any background.

I also stress to newcomers that I am only a telephone call away, if you need a stupid question answered, call me, I am happy to help!

• Like 1

Thank you Mara xoxo

Edited by Mara
You are welcome Annalisa

Firstly I wasn't ranting, throwing my toys or getting worked up either, just stating a clear concise opinion. Don't be so sensitive.. I'm out of cotton wool..

ERG:

You need to grow that skin a bit thicker. Way too fragile. Like the Aussies say.. "Toughen up princess" Nobody judged anybody. I must admit you sound like exactly the group I'm talking about. Probably already had in mind to avoid all all SA's and just needed an excuse...

Fish:

Nothing to understand brother. It's simple.. saying mate to Aussies is fine,but saying mate to fellow South Africans is just a WTF moment. Then you're trying too hard.

Mara and Sunnyskies:

Thanks for good constructive replies

Have a great weekend "mates"... WTF..LOL

Edited by SA Aussie

It would seem the only Fragile person here are you SA Aussie. I don't see anyone else throwing tantrums. Who are you to judge in any event as you don't know me and looking at your judgemental spirit never will. I have many SA friends and I enjoy their company and positive influences. The only SA I avoid are the ones that think they know it all or negative judgementals like yourself.

So from this Namibian to you SAaussie have a nice life..... MATE

• Like 1

Fish:

Nothing to understand brother. It's simple.. saying mate to Aussies is fine,but saying mate to fellow South Africans is just a WTF moment. Then you're trying too hard.

I lived in the north east of england for quite a few years during my travels and saying "aye" for yes became second nature to the point that I'm sure I would have said it to aussies who I met there as well without giving it a second thought. I would have thought them quite provincial if they had taken offence at what is often a normal process migrants go through all over the world. I have never related to excessive nationalism though.

Edited by Fish