Worth it?

HKing

I’m sure many has asked this and it might be well passed asked and answered but…

We are 70% in the move to Australia, many things can still happen but we are passed the 50% mark which makes the “move” quite possible.
I know everyone has to decide for him/her-self but I trust previous experience more than emotional perceptions.

We are a family of 3, wife (30’s) and I (40) plus 9year old daughter, we currently staying in Pretoria and enjoying a financial stable way of living… that said, it is about the only current thing we enjoy and with current affairs in SA, this might change, who knows.

We will be going on a 457 / intercompany transfer, possibly Sydney or Brisbane. We should manage to take a few Rand over, although not really stable against the AU$, it should be enough as we will be selling everything except our furniture. We are aiming at PR and ultimately citizenship, so a permanent move.

We are currently experiencing highs and lows and would just like experienced inputs from people that went through this. Was all this worth it?

Hi,

Differen people place value on different things, so it's fair to say that not everybody who has made the move feels that it was worth it.

I think it is fair to say that MOST people who have made the move do feel that it's worth it - despite some hardships like missing family, not driving luxury cars, not having domestic help, and generally feeling like a foreigner.

This is a generalisation, but I think a pretty accurate one - I find that the more people struggled in South Africa, the less they tend struggle in Aus, and the more they tend to appreciate their new lives. Part of the reason, I believe, is, certain occupations in SA don't offer a great standard of living - artisans, semi-skilled workers, even trades, nurses, teachers.

In Aus on the other hand, these industries often pay comparatively well.

For the opposite reason, professionals such as Accountants, Lawyers, etc, often come over and find that their standard of living has to drop a bit.

As long as you can embrace the things that Aus does offer - a relatively normal, safe, first world existence where your life is not ruled by crime, corruption, racism, collapsing infrastructure - and learn to make do without some of the things you have to give up - affordable luxury cars, cheap labour and materials, and being with "your people" then I think it's worth it.

Best of luck with your decisions!

• Like 8

Hansa said it quite well. The only thing I can add is to go and talk to a few people in RSA who are close to retirement. A lot of them are *very* scared of retiring. Years of the unstable rand, a declining economy and the world cup soccer fiasco has made it difficult to plan your financial future. The South African governments idea of assistance is giving you a few hundred rand a month to buy putu while you live in a shack.

Edited by monsta

Hi Hansa,

For starters we value the same beer brand in SA :-)

I guess as most people the biggest challenge remains, will we survive or not.. We value family time and the outdoors, might sound like a cliché, but true. In South Africa both those values are becoming more and more difficult to keep in an acceptable environment.

Dropping a tad in living standard will be seen as a trade off for a safe and peaceful life. I guess the only way to answer myself is to tackle this fully committed and to reflect back in 2 years time

Thanks for the input

Edited by HKing

Hansa has it 100%.

For the first 8 months I was here, I didn't have a car - I used a train to do shopping ... hell I "draed swaar" some days and had numb fingers for days, but, it was all worth it.

That was just an example - the sort of example you wouldn't even think of normally. ;)

Hansa has it 100%.

For the first 8 months I was here, I didn't have a car - I used a train to do shopping ... hell I "draed swaar" some days and had numb fingers for days, but, it was all worth it.

That was just an example - the sort of example you wouldn't even think of normally. ;)

Oh, yes, my daughter was 9 when she came over - she is now 23, and we are in no fear of her emigrating for a better life elsewhere .... she travels overseas, with friends and on her own and has a glorious time. The sort of thing that I as a Saffa never even thought of when I was her age ...

• Like 1

I will summarize my feelings this way:

2 words that described my life in South Africa= fear and frustration

2 words that describe my life in Australia= peace and freedom

These are the priceless things that money can't buy. And yes, it's worth it!

• Like 3

Hi Hansa,

For starters we value the same beer brand in SA :-)

I guess as most people the biggest challenge remains, will we survive or not.. We value family time and the outdoors, might sound like a cliché, but true. In South Africa both those values are becoming more and more difficult to keep in an acceptable environment.

Dropping a tad in living standard will be seen as a trade off for a safe and peaceful life. I guess the only way to answer myself is to tackle this fully committed and to reflect back in 2 years time

Thanks for the input

I like your taste in beer!

If you like the outdoors and family time then you're in for a treat. One of the great freedoms we love over here is road trips and camping. There are so many places to explore and almost none of them have the human element of danger hanging over your head.

If we get a flat, or the car breaks down, we wait for roadside assist, or change the tire, the worst outcome is - we're late! Hasn't happened yet, but if it does - it's not really an issue!

In SA, you get a flat, or the car breaks down - what's the worst that can happen?

For starters, a few caravan parks where we camp, I need to sleep with a Glock on my bedside... paranoid, NOT.. witnessed 1 and I am aware of a few where armed robberies took place in SA caravan parks :angry2:

We live with the mentality, take what you want... please leave us alone. And surely that cannot be good for a 9 year's state-of-mind.

I'm looking forward to a new life, currently the waiting game is "killing" us.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, it helps to anticipate a positive outcome.

• Like 1

Best thing we ever did, 21 years ago, and counting! My only question for you is, whether your company would not sponsor you for a permanent work visa rather than the temporary 457?

I assumed they will offer a 457, was not aware that they may offer a permanent visa. I will discuss with them as soon as they start the visa process.

Thanks for the info

• Like 1

HansaPlease and OnYellowBrickRd have it spot on.

One of the things I love about Oz is seeing families out and about, enjoying a day at the beach or along the river. Everyone is relaxed and family time spent outdoors is not a stressful time but a fun time.

I have been here about 2.5 months and not one day has gone by that I regret the move. I love it here!

Yes it was worth it. without a doubt. I have no desire to return to South Africa at all. Only family emergency visits will get me back.

Try and pursue the PR route from the word go. It will not take that much longer especially with company sponsored and carries so many more benefits.

Worth it? For a long time I would have said NO!!!!!

I really struggled to adapt, having come from a really energetic life in JHB , a successful business , loads of family and friends, and very little financial wore.

We were never affected by crime, but we could see in which direction SA was heading. Retirement there was a scary prospect.

Coming to a little seaside town called Torquay was a shock to the system. So quiet, so lonely, so unlike anything I was accustomed to.

I went into some form of depression I think, I could not see the good in anything. Could have gotten on a plane any given day.

Well, some 2.5 years later, in spite of myself, Australia has crept into my system, and I think I might just love it a bit.

Torquay is no longer this isolated little town, but a haven of peace and tranquility.

How did that happen?

I think the 1000 day mark has a lot to do with it. Whatever happens , stay the 1000 days, and if you still do not like it, go back.

The adjustment can be very, very hard and will take time. ( Not for everyone of course-just some hard heads -like me)

If I have learned to love Aus, anybody can. Would I go back? You have got to be kidding-not for all the tea in China.

• Like 5

Ask for a permanent visa if they are willing however most companies are not prepared to as it increases their risk, if they wont go for it try and make sure that they will at least convert your 457 to PR after 2 years, some companies wont.

HKing, if you send a message to either SD_MOA or TeeTMI they are both migration agents that assist forum members, they would be able to tell you exactly which visa is permanent. Then you can at least approach your company with the research, may even sway them that you have done your homework!

• Like 1

Just think about it, do you think for one moment that your forefathers had it easy when they imagrated to South Africa?! We are all strong humenbeings, we can do anything we put our minds to. Just keep this in mind," you are not moving to another South Africa, you are moving to Australia so don't try to find SA.in Aus. it will only make you depressed. You'll be just fine, like rest of us.

• Like 2

HKing,

I have been here 4 years and 5 months. I will NEVER go back. Just the peace and relaxed freedom alone is enough to convince me the only thing I did wrong was not come earlier. I would be so bold as to say your daughter deserves better than what SA has on offer. ake a look at Gov's finances, it's in tatters. They can no longer hide the gaping holes in funding. For them you are the golden goose, and another kick to your ribs will get some more money out of you. Nah mate, come over and enjoy an awesome life! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Best thing we ever did, 21 years ago, and counting! My only question for you is, whether your company would not sponsor you for a permanent work visa rather than the temporary 457?

I assumed they will offer a 457, was not aware that they may offer a permanent visa. I will discuss with them as soon as they start the visa process.

Thanks for the info

Ask for a permanent visa if they are willing however most companies are not prepared to as it increases their risk, if they wont go for it try and make sure that they will at least convert your 457 to PR after 2 years, some companies wont.

As Nev says some employers are reluctant to offer permanent residence, and some may have a policy never to. If your aim is permanent residence I highly recommend you discuss it with the employer and look at your future pathway. An employer is not obliged to offer permanent residence if it does not suit them.

The permanent residence visas take a few months longer to arrange and some employers want you asap. Some employers will consider both a temporary (for speed) and permanent residence (for longer term security) application at the same time.

Remember that if you have an appropriate occupation / experience / qualification you can apply for an employer sponsored permanent or skilled independent visa. You do not need to wait on the 457 until the employer is willing (assuming still eligible) to sponsor you. The 2 year transitional stream can be a useful pathway where an individual does not have the required qualifications / experience / health / points. Many employers have linked their own policy to match this 2 year stream even where not required, sometimes due to not understanding the options.

Unfortunate scenario’s I sometimes see with 457 visa holders:

• sponsor has a downturn in work and the sponsorship finishes
  • sponsor is no longer eligible to sponsor (e.g. has not maintained their sponsorship obligations)
  • 457 visa holder could have applied for an independent visa from overseas, but is now living in a state that does not sponsor that occupation

At one extreme some 457 employers can take advantage of the hold they have over a visa holder and at the other some are absolutely stunning and really go out of their way to assist the visa holders.

• Like 2

The reason I suggested a permanent work visa is because HKing mentioned in his first post in this thread that it is his present employer that will transfer him to Australia... if I understood correctly. If this is the case, then I would seriously chat to the employer about permanent sponsorship.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello HKing,

I do think that everyone in your situation has felt the same. "Am I doing the right thing, will everything work out etc...Thats what I sometimes ask myself. We have our permanent residence visa and will be hopfully going over to OZ next year, we just have to tie up a few loose ends.

The majority of the people that i have spoken to, not just here on the forums but friends who have moved to either NZ or OZ say its the best thing they ever did. I am originally from the UK and have been living in SA for about 11 years now, getting used to the lack of freedom here in SA has been hard, but the worrying thing is that I have become accustomed to it. You should'nt have to worry and look over your shoulder when youre out and about all the time, you should be able to walk to the shops instead of taking the car everywhere. Unfortunately life here is not easy and nor is it going to get better in my opinion. I was initially very resistant to moving to OZ, we do live rather comfortably and haviing to move to another country yet again was a stress I didnt need. After the birth of our son tho, my mindset changed and now I am fully onboard with this move. We will be going over without work..thats a very stressful thing to think about..what if husband does'nt find a job as he is the main breadwinner etc etc. many sleepless nights thinking about all the negatives, but there are so many positives.

There are some wonderful people on this forum, who have been extremely encouraging, just reading about their experiences ensures me that things will be ok. As a few members already mentioned I guess it all does depend on what type of person you are. I remember reading one complaint from a member because she had to do all her own housework! Well if thats the only complaint its not a bad one:-) Ill be quite happy in a small house little garden, and just the simple things in life. We have always tried to live a simple life. Main thing is just be positive and im sure things will work out.

I hope that one day I can add our success story to this forum and encourage others like they have encouraged me.

Good luck on your journey Im sure it will be a good one

Edited by Guest

Thanks Emma,

We are trying to get as much info as possible to be prepared and not to expect a land of milk-and-honey (on the contrary as explained in Carte Blanche last night, milk and maize is going to be in demand in future SA at the rate farmers becoming less by the day) so practically Oz should be a land with milk in future at least :-)

Worth it? For a long time I would have said NO!!!!!

I really struggled to adapt, having come from a really energetic life in JHB , a successful business , loads of family and friends, and very little financial wore.

We were never affected by crime, but we could see in which direction SA was heading. Retirement there was a scary prospect.

Coming to a little seaside town called Torquay was a shock to the system. So quiet, so lonely, so unlike anything I was accustomed to.

I went into some form of depression I think, I could not see the good in anything. Could have gotten on a plane any given day.

Well, some 2.5 years later, in spite of myself, Australia has crept into my system, and I think I might just love it a bit.

Torquay is no longer this isolated little town, but a haven of peace and tranquility.

How did that happen?

I think the 1000 day mark has a lot to do with it. Whatever happens , stay the 1000 days, and if you still do not like it, go back.

The adjustment can be very, very hard and will take time. ( Not for everyone of course-just some hard heads -like me)

If I have learned to love Aus, anybody can. Would I go back? You have got to be kidding-not for all the tea in China.

Thanks for this! I am only at the 390 day mark, and feel the way you felt, perhaps there is hope for me

• Like 1

It was worth it to move here in so many ways that it would be harder for me to describe why I thought SA was an option.

Go for the PR visa straight away if I were you. there are advantages to that and much less risk, particularly in the current economic climate.

All the best with the move.

1000 % worth it! I just look at my kids faces and how happy and relaxed we all are, to know this was the best move ever! Only been here for 3 months but if feels like forever (in a good way)!