Alternatives to IELTS. Has anyone taken the other English exams? (Frustrated with IELTS)

ORC

Despite hours of studying and another try at IELTS, my results are the same.

9.0 for Reading, Listening and Speaking but 7.5 for Writing. My requirement is a minimum of 8 in each band.

It's frustrating as time is running out for me age wise.

Has anyone done the new English exams on offer? How are they?

RCO, are you writing academic or general?

Have you done a training class? Viewed the online lessons on YouTube? I'm afraid that I can't offer any input on the alternatives, but remember with IELTS that structure, grammar and spelling are critical. If you are writing academic and you are asked to comment on the given graph/paragraph/whatever, you cannot offer your own inputs based on experience or what you have read in the outside world - the outside world does not exist, only the given information. By contrast, if you are invited to present an opinion or argument, structure, structure, structure.

For the general, particularly the letter, how you open and close that letter can make or break your final grade. The type of sentences you use can bring you down - are you being too chatty in a formal letter? Remember, this is a British exam, marked according to British norms and standards.

Think of this as a matric final - study, practice, use the past papers and work on techniques. Best of luck!

RCO, did you consider asking for a re-mark, chances are they will give you the extra 0.5, it worked for me I wrote the academic got 0.5 marks below the required mark sent it for re marking and yes got the mark . It cost me R1000.00 which went to Melbourne. On the writing its not too rigid so 99% of the time it will to your favour.

Good luck, you got to do it in 3 months though, worth a try.

Hi,

We wrote the Pearson Vue test in Sandton. We received the results the next morning via email. It is computer based and you can get an appointment more easily. Have a look at them.

Regards

GaanBos,

First time I hear about another test. How did you confirm that Australia will except the Pearson Vue Test. I need to book my husband and myself to die IELTS shortly, and he as main applicant also need 8's on all levels to get maximum points for visa application.

I have to see if this can be done in Cape Town.

Hi SLouw,

Our agent told us about them, so we googled it and saw that from last year Nov, they were also accredited, for Aussie visas. On the ICAA application, it is stated that you have to obtain 65 out of 90, so that also answered our question.

Hopes this helps!!

• 3 months later...

Hi all

I am at this point in time where i have to choose which English test to write.

Ask asked above can someone please advise the pros and cons to the ELTS or Pearson?

Which would be the better one to go for.

Thanks

I would like to know too,seniors please help.

I can only comment on Pearsons which I wrote a few months back but judging from what people say about IELTS it appears Pearsons is easier or should I say better. Pearsons is computer based 100% and the advantage with that is two fold - firstly there is no human bias in the marking but second and more important for me is that you can do online practice tests at home which you can use to simulate the exam perfectly with one exception which I'll get to. This is important because you will know exactly what to expect and won't get any surprises. Pearsons offers limited free sample questions and some practice tests for a couple hundred rands. You will then get suggested answers which are invaluable in getting to know what level of detail is required of you. Comparing this to your answers gives you further insight as to where you stand and need to be.

The one exception I needed to get back to with regards to exam conditions is that nothing prepares you for fellow candidates at the exam speaking into their microphones at the same time. Some here have said they could not cope with that and it affected their performance. My experience was different as I found privacy in the midst of all that noise as no one was listening to me hence I felt free to speak my mind.

The best part for me with Pearsons is the sheer efficiency of the exam administration. You can get a date about two weeks away from registration. And get results the next day.... why wait 4 to 6 weeks for to write IELTS? And another 2 or so weeks to get your results.

• Like 2

Hi Gwynn

Do you still have the material you bought online for pearson exam practice?

Hi Chips,

Unfortunately the purchased tests are Web based and are not downloadable. The practice test also expires after a month or so. They quite clever about it and want to make sure ppl pay for the tests but it's well worth it. I also found a number of the YouTube videos on the Pearson test quite useful so maybe check out those as well. They make it seem so simple which helps be relaxed about the whole exam.

• Like 1

Thank you Gwynn