IELTS score

Pietnaude

Hi All. I know it is possible to get more points based on your IELTS score. My question is: can you claim on the average band or do you have to get more than 8 on all individual pillars? My wife is an accountant and she got an average of 8 but one where she got 7. Allthough this is adequate, we'd like to claim the maximum points as she is turning 40 in 2 months time

For applications to immigrate you have to get an eight on all the pillars to claim an eight.

I can tell you that few Aussies (who were born here) have the time for people who can't speak good English. For example, I went to a caffee and the lady working the till couldn't speak good English. The people standing in the queue were commenting about it. They said some rather unkind things.

So yeah, migrants speaking good English is a big deal to Aussies.

It gets the same reaction as when South Africans get told by the lady at home affairs that, "the computas! It no working".

Edited by monsta

And I can understand that. Here in SA we have 11 languages and the business language is English. Even I get upset if the person behind the counter cannot speak english so I understand what you mean. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the most South Africans can speak, write and understand english fairly well. The IELTS test is according to me not a real true reflection of your ability to speak, write or understand english. The second thing I dont get is if Australia is so strict on the Eglish, how can all those asian people get in. Most of them can NOT speak English properly. Just interresting if you look at the big picture.....