Citizenship - Dual or not?

Lynnie

Good day,

The time has come at last for us to apply for Citizenship :ilikeit:

Now we are contemplating if we should go for dual citizenship or not. Can anyone please advise me on the advantages and disadvantages to have dual citizenship?

Any advice would be appreciated :ilikeit:

• Like 2

Hi Lynnie

We just wrote our tests this Friday (20 February). We have decided to not keep pir sa citizenship.

The reason we made this decision is that if u keep dual when you visit SA you have to enter on an SA passport, so u have to renew your passport every 10 years. Also you are in South Africa as a South african.

If you ever decide to go back to sa permanently you will automatically get permanent residency and will then go through the process of applying for citizenship, so what is the point? If you go back yearly then I'd say sure, go for it, but we have been in aus 5 years and never been back for a holiday. This being said our daughter automatically retains dual citizenship because she is under 18.

Having an Aussie passport comes with amazing perks,eg. Want Togo to the USA? Sa passport - interview and I think $100 for a visa.

Aus passport- online application $13.

So ask yourself is it worth it to have to keep renewing your sa passport in case you want to go back permanently? Since u don't need a visa for sa if you stay for 3 months or more I don't see the point pf keeping dual unless u plan to go back permanently?

• Like 1

Thanks for the information - we will definitely NOT be going back... I was also just wondering about the financial aspects. We'd probably have to close all our accounts and investments if we do not have dual citizenship?

Thanks for the information - we will definitely NOT be going back... I was also just wondering about the financial aspects. We'd probably have to close all our accounts and investments if we do not have dual citizenship?

I lived in SA for 25 years with permanent residency only and was never a citizen as I am from Zambia. There is no issue with investments, accounts or anything like that if you are not a citizen. An ID book is pretty much all that I have ever been asked for. FICA may be an issue (i.e no address in SA) but I don't think so. This may change in the future but I don't see not being a citizen proving to be any hindrance to owning any assets or investments in SA. My wife retained her SA citizenship for only one reason and that is that if she had to go back for example for a family emergency and needed to stay for longer than 3 months then she would not have to get her visa extended. It is hopefully very unlikely that she would need to do this and in my opinion renewing an SA passport every 10 years is not too much of a price to pay for this option.

Hi there,

We retained our RSA citizenship. We had to apply for new passports the other day and it was really no hassle at all (you work through the consulate in Canberra and they are really very efficient).

Some of the reasons for us was I still have shared ownership in property in RSA and wanted to keep my RSA bank accounts going for the time being - I'm not sure if giving up my RSA citizenship would really have been an issue, but to be honest we knew what we wanted to do so didn't go into it too much. I also pretty much figured why give something up I'm perfectly entitled to keep. Sure there are some considerations in terms of consular support when travelling to RSA.

Frankly I think it's a personal decision of the heart more than anything else (one that usually draws a wide range of opinions anyway). In my view there are no "deal breaker" pros or cons but people will use XYZ reasons as justification for whatever their view is. For us, we wanted to keep it.

z

I will not be keeping my RSA ciitzenship. In fact, I would be as crass as to say I look forward to posting my documents to the local embassy. Where they no doubt will be onsold to some other fellow who will clone them and take out loans etc in my name, and I will be married 5 times over, LOL. No thanks, as soon as I have Aussie citizenship I will let the brothers n sisters know that I have no intention of staying a Saffer. Also thinking of taking accent classes, since I already speak like an Aussie!

Firstly, let me say I am not South African. I have several friends who have gone thro this decision, and for them, it was a matter of the heart as much as anything else.

One couple I can think of, he chose to stay a South African. He is a staunch Afrikaner, by heart.

His Afrikaans wife, however, chose to relinquish her South African citizenship. She visits her rellies each year in South Africa, but I was told if she ever got in trouble with the law while in South Africa, there would be no recourse to help if she were a South African citizen still.

Now that she is only an Australian citizen, she would be entitled to Australian consular help and diplomatic representation, much like those Bali drug smugglers at the moment causing a big fuss in Australia.

• Like 3

We have not been a citizen for 18 years, yet we still have bank accounts in South Africa. To me the downside of dual citizenship is the fact that you have to keep your RSA passport valid, and that Australia will not assist you if you have dual citizenship and you need assistance in South Africa. I think it is a personal situation for everyone. For us it was a no brainer, we just let it go!

• Like 2

Agreeing with the above, that when you travel into sa with an sa passport, keep in ,one u are there as a South african, not an Aussie.

I have dual citizenship, and as far as I can see the downsides are, if you have to enter SA, you need an SA passport and Australian DFAT won't try to help you if get into trouble in SA. There may be things about bank accounts, but I'm a financial slacker so I don't know.

One plus is if I want to go on a hunting trip, I don't need a Professional Hunter and outfitter, going with one of the "maaitjies" is fine.

I also have a security clearance at work, and I can tell you that dual citizenship does come up,and causes um and ahs.

I am thinking of relinquishing the SA citizenship, since with my dad dead, I am unlikely to go back more than one or maybe two more times.

Edited by OubaasDik

Thank you for all the replies and advice - I guess at the end of the day it is a heart's decision, apart from the emotional family ties that are still there (which we won't/can't visit that much, unfortunately), I do not feel I'd like to have dual for the purpose of "holding on" - does that make sense??

My main concern is just that we still have bank accounts and investments in SA and the ramifications if we only have AUS Citizenship.

To be honest.... (please don't crucify me!!), I have NO "patriotic" feelings left for SA.... I am welcome (was not welcome in my "own" country!) and at home here in a strange (not so strange after almost 4 yrs) country.... and I am not looking back!!

• Like 3

To be honest.... (please don't crucify me!!), I have NO "patriotic" feelings left for SA.... I am welcome (was not welcome in my "own" country!) and at home here in a strange (not so strange after almost 4 yrs) country.... and I am not looking back!!

Agreed, I have spent over three years in the 'Mag with callups every single year except for 1987. The unit I was in was based out of Potch with most of the members being from the catchment area, and LOTS of AWB supporters. Amazing how when callups came they were way too busy to attend - let someone else do it.

And after wasting that amount of time for no real reason, and being uncomfortable, inconvenienced, and yes, plain scared, I don't owe SA any damn thing.

• Like 1

Like you OBD I served too, only to have the keys to the kingdom handed over....What they call an army now is a joke.

My hubby also served, 2 locating battery jhb. I was so relieved everytime he returned home safely.

Yea that is the big one for me, if we need to go back to RSA for a visit and something happens, if you have SA citizenship there is no help to be had from Auz, if you gave it up then you are an Australian in a foreign country in trouble and the Australian government will help.

Also as was mentioned if you visit the USA with dual citizenship you obviously have to declare it and your SA citizenship will count against you, we plan to tour so it will just be simpler to give it up

From above you can visit RSA for 3 months with no visa with a Auz passport, get PR again if needed in future.

Just of IMPORTANT note:

If you have not specifically canceled your RSA citizenship you are still a citizen until they realize that you have dual and cancel your citizenship from their side, it is done from the date they process it, so you are a citizen until it is done.

So if you have not specifically cancelled your RSA citizenship and enter RSA on an Auz passport you are breaking the law which states you must always enter the country on your RSA passport if a citizen and you could end up in trouble over it, my suggestion is to fill in the paperwork and get it done properly.

Nev, I am a dual citizen, Australia and NZ, travel to the USA almost every other year and have done so for a long time. I have never declared my dual citizenship, I travel there and back on my Australian passport. They do know about it, which was quite a funny incident. The first time I went to the USA was on a holiday visa with my RSA passport. The second time was when hubby went there to work, RSA passport on an H1B visa. Then I went again, on a visitors visa with RSA passport. The next time I arrived there it was on my NZ passport, not drama. Then for the next eight years I traveled there on my NZ passport. So... I then become an Australian citizen and the next time I go I travel there on my Australian passport, mmmm, the computer at customs lit up like a Christmas Tree... the customs officer asked me to please explain, so I did, he just had a chuckle and sent me on my merry way.

I cannot understand why anyone would have problems traveling to the USA if they hold Australian and RSA citizenship.

• Like 1

The requirements to enter the USA for a south african citizen are different than for a Auz citizen, my understanding was that they don't look at the best passport that you have, but the worst,

Are you saying you can just not declare your RSA citizenship and travel only on the Auz one?

Never done it myself though

Edited by Nev

Hi Nev. I don't think your info about the USA is 100%. If you have dual passports you basically nominate the one you're travelling on and that's what you are assessed on for visas etc. We have a trip to the USA coming up. On the form we indicated our dual nationality but completed all the info based on our Aus passport and was immediately approved for the visa waiver (which is what Aus citizens qualify for). Only cost $14 as mentioned by elleneo earlier.

z

Edited to add: The only exception to the nomination thing will of course be if you travel to RSA as a dual national; then you must enter and leave Aus on the Aussie book and enter and leave RSA on the Saffa one.

Edited by zetman

Just as Zetman says. Mine was a co-incidence, but on no form anywhere for travel to the USA have I ever been asked whether I am a citizen of another country besides the one of the passport I am travelling on.

The only time I ever travel on my NZ passport is when I am actually going into and departing NZ. Then as said before you have to have both passports with you as I have to depart and enter Australia on my Australian passport.

• Like 1

Ahh good stuff then on the passports,

Still think i will give mine up based on entering RSA as an Aussie though

• Like 1

Smart move Nev!

Yeah! At least if you wave an Aussie passport you stand a chance of being helped, I'm not too sure about the SA one....(tongue in cheek)

• Like 1

This proved interesting reading.....

So here is my question - I hold a British and SA passport. Hubby and kids all hold Dutch and SA passports.

Once we land in Oz and finally secure citizenship will we be forced to give up one of these passports?

:blush:

Louise as far as I know if you want the Aussie citizenship you will need to give up one of your other nationalities. My OH has investigated this and you cannot have 3 nationalities, sorry you need to choose. Keep in mind you will always be a South African, keep your green barcoded ID book and birth certificates and if you want to come back you just apply for permanent residency in SA.