Freaking out!

CorneWagemaker

I read a few of the topics on the forum and on some of them, new forum members were (friendly I may add) requested to first come introduce themselves in the foyer.

Hi, this is me, and I'm freaking out!

Ok, maybe that is a bit overexaggerated, but the prospect of relocating is a very daunting idea.

The wife and I have started talking about moving to Oz and although we have not by any means made any decission, one has to start investigating. Knowledge is key, right? I've been living my whole life in the same town (even suburb) and the prospect of potentially relocating, even to another country, makes my stomach turn.

But reality is what it is, and to ostrich the current situation is SA is not a good idea. So here I am, reading my eyes red, sponging all the information I can, to make an informative decission.

Thank you for a very informative forum, and I hope to add value as much as I gain.

• Like 5

Hey,

Yeah, moving countries is hard. You land up selling a lot of your things cheaply. Few people walk right into their dream job here. The cost of visas, flights, etc. is huge. But the hardest part for me was waiting around for my visa to be approved. Its hard to plan your life when you may be living half way across the world in a years time. E.g. "Should I buy a mountain bike and take up riding?". You tend not to and then feel like you missed out.

Then, you hear wonderful things about Australia. But its actually not that much of a change as you would think. For example, instead of driving to work, I catch a bus. When I first visited, it reminded me a lot of apartheid south Africa, I.e back when the white suburbs were clean, the public transport was good and people actually walked to their corner shops.

What sold me on Australia is I think we are blessed that we can experience life from a different point of view. Also from a financial stability point of view we are way better off here. Ask South Africans who are close to retirement age; most of them are freaking out about retiring because the economy (especially the Rand) has been way too unpredictable over the years.

If you do decide to make the move, then good luck. Remember this advice, when you get here make a serious effort to make friends. Join a club or volunteer your time. Having friends who can tell you how things work in your neighbourhood is invaluable.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 3

Corne, welcome to our corner of cyberspace! Trust you will find many answers here...

Are you wise to want to move to Australia?

• Will it be a frustrating situation from now until you gain your visa, YES!!!
  • Will you often doubt your decision, YES!!!
  • Will people in RSA tell you this will be the biggest mistake of your life, YES!!!
  • Is it true that you will have to start a few rungs lower on the ladder when you find work, PROBABLY!!!
  • Are things expensive in Australia, YES, but only if you are paying with Rand, with Aussie Dollar, you seem to be able to afford it!
  • You will miss your family and friends back home, that is an absolute given!
  • HOWEVER, if you can accept all of the above and you have the ability to stick it out for at least two years once you get here then :
  • From the vast majority of those of us already living here, you will get a resounding YES!!!
  • It is a wonderful experience living in a country where everything just seems to work and where you do not spend a lifetime looking over your shoulder!
  • Like 8

Hi and Welcome to forum,

I am also new to this process and just as freaked out as you are,

I realised that the best thing to do right now is to acquire as much information as possible and become more familiar with the unknown, you will then feel much better.

I already feel better by reading the experiences and issues discussed on this forum.

• Like 1

Shiven

Welcome to the forum

I see you are also in Durban we are also just starting the process and have got a lot of information to share, very happy to meet up and discuss if you want.

Just an idea for both you and Corne get yourself a notebook. I am finding a lot of useful websites and when I find ones I like I write them down, else you will forget them. Write your processes in the book, if you find something on the forum you want to remember, write it in the book. I just find it easier to have everything in one place, and then you don't have to search for that little piece of paper you wrote it on. I keep the book and any other things I print off in a folder and it goes with me everywhere.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Eileen

• Like 3

Freaking out is a good thing. It's venting, a stress release and shows you appreciate the mammoth task you are contemplating. Some have gone into this taking it will be easy and boy were they in for a rude shock.

Having personally freaked out in the supermarket because I didn't know what sausages to buy, I can completely sympathise. Welcome to the forum, we do try to bring a bit of sanity.

• Like 1

I already feel better by reading the experiences and issues discussed on this forum.

I have traveled all over the world. I even took several trips out to my current suburb before I migrated. I was telling my wife things before we left like, "you can get that brand of cosmetics at target.. I didn't see it at big W". But I still freaked out about officially migrating.

The there is lots of good info you should know. For example, the Aussie government has never oficially said why there is a migration programme beyond, " we are mostly all migrants, we can't deny others the chance to migrate".

Locals speculate that its very good for the economy. Migrants shop at Aussie shops, keep their money in Aussie banks, etc.. The morning news even pointed out the other day that the New South Wales economy is doing well at the moment because we are selling off property to foreigners.

Secondly if you have a good (expensive) education.. That helps to. Aussie universities target foreign students. One of Australia's biggest exports is university education. So (by design) its expensive to educate someone here (+-$30 000 per year). So if you have a 3 year degree that saves the country $90 000.

So, remember.. If you meet their criteria and integrate well into society, you are a huge benefit to Australia. The locals even know that.

Its just unfortunate that many poor, uneducated people apply for visas. So you will be lumped in with that crowd until you have a visa.

Edited by monsta
  • Like 1

I'm not a journal keeper, but I did have one notebook dedicated to the move, and then one dedicated to the first year here. I've kept that notebook system going, and highly recommend it - no more bits of paper to keep track of. My notebooks are no work of art, just lots of info and notes from discussions etc. of course if I mislay a notebook there is a bit of pandemonium until it's found as it is a lifeline. I have even used that notebook system for meetings at work that aren't on specific projects, that way I keep all my business development in one spot, and as a migrant you do a lot of business development - even if just to keep up with who you have met. Recently had someone ask for a connection for a firm in New York. My diary quickly found the info needed, even though I hadn't done LinkedIn thing with the person when I met them. Could never had done it without my cryptic notes - even some of the info I've posted on here in the past comes out of my notebook.

Edited by Sunnyskies

Welcome Corne! Moving countries is a HUGE mind-leap for most. There is so much to consider!

Reading through all the threads on the forum may help a lot but be careful not to overload your mind with too much information as it could become a bit overwhelming, especially if you're still in the investigative stages. I find that if I have too much choice, I cannot make a decision, even if any one of those options would result in a good outcome. Once I narrow it down, it's easier to commit. Many people who want to take the leap feels that it is simply too complicated and involved because they're suffering from information overload. Take it one step at a time and work through it systematically. For instance it is not necessary to research suburbs or schools yet - leave that until it becomes a real question. Focus on the things which is crucial at the moment: which visas would you qualify for, what is the application process, what are the job opportuinites in your area of expertise (and where are those job opportunities as it may make a regional sponsorship an option) etc.?

I think we all freak out a bit during this journey, but it is all worth it and the support you will find on the forum is amazing!

Deep breath - then one step at a time! Good luck!

• Like 2

I totally agree with Riekie. Try to avoid information overload and work one step at a time. I am definitely starting a journal / note book. We started talking about moving in mid-October last year. Now we are in the process of applying for visas. First step - English test. We are also in Durban so pm if you need some info...

Thanks Riekie,

Funny enough, just before I read your post, I was reading posts in the Education area about schools

One thing at a time, step by step. Got it.

Hello SAA's

My 457 visa application was lodged on the 24th December 2014.

I have my prospective employer in the Northern Territory and they are currently in the nomination process of the visa?

I have a fantastic immigration agent and he assures me that with all holiday seasons, things slow down a little over Christmas.

The DIBP haven't asked for my Police Clearance yet or anything else and I was wondering if this is a normal time period for the visa and its only myself planning on coming over.

I have those documents rearing to go when they do ask though as I'm so eager to start this new adventure.

Also wanted to say hi and thanks for an informative and interesting forum.

:)

Also wanted to double check, it seems a lot of the 189 or 190 visa's come through quickly once the documentation is all in, is there a difference to the 457 visa?

As with many others, the wait is killing me with anticipation....

Edited by Wanderlust32
  • Like 1

For those of you thinking about notebooks I can recommend an electronic version named Evernote. It is free and allows you to store all sorts of notes and links just by clicking an icon in your browser when you are on a site you want to keep.

It is all synced into the cloud automatically and you can access it on any device in any country - all securely backed up and available everywhere.

You can also scan all your important documents into Evernote and it will even allow you to search and find words in those documents even if in PDF format.

So say you are in an govt office in Australia and they say you will need to send us so and so document you can just pull it up on your phone and give it to them right away.

I have got rid of almost all paper this way.

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1

Google has google documents where you can store your files. It also has keep which can take notes like evernote.

Your advice is really good. I have advised lots of migrants to put their documents on Google drive as well as to bring them over on a hard drive. Its also great for those moments when you need to know if your RSA passport is going to expire soon. No need to go and hunt for it... Heck you could even have a look on your lunch break.

Wanderlust32... There are limits on how many of each type of VISA can be granted each year. Typically more people apply than the number of VISAs available. This leads to there being a queue. Generally once you have a case officer you have reached the end of that queue and the case oficer will want to process you as soon as he or she can.

Edited by monsta