HELP-EMPLOYER WANTS ME TO WORK FIFO OUT OF AUSTRALIA -Africa and misdle east projects

louis1979

Hi all hope you good.im in a bit of a dilemma here.my boss has been on his knees for the past month aaking me to lead one of his projects out of Australia.i dont have an issue with the roasters cause its the same like what im doing now and it would being some good extra cash as well.my problem is i only got my permanent residence last year August and from what i know i should not be out of Australia for more than 90 days if i am to meet the residency requirements when applying for citizenship.has anyone been in the same boat or has better advice.pliz help!!!

• Like 1

I think you can apply for an exemption based on work requirements, like what you are saying. Just give the Citizenship hotline a call.

• Like 1

Just a thought: Are you on a South African passport and if so would you qualify for a work permit for this foreign country you have to travel to? Sometimes Aussies are not mindful of the downfalls of having a passport such as a South African one.

• Like 1

@Jordy yeh im still using my South Africa passport.the work permit issues are not a problem the company will take care of that as they have done it before with a fellow South African.They are just waiting for my decision and my boss says there can be exemptions when i want to apply for my citizenship but i dont want to feed on his word.

Edited by louis1979
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

U don't need to be in the country 24*7 in the four years to qualify for citizenship. Pls read the imm.gov website. It's only the 4th year that is tricky where u don't have to be out for more than 90 days.

I think you can apply for an exemption based on work requirements, like what you are saying. Just give the Citizenship hotline a call.

The government is quite reasonable. I agree with SurferMan. Call them up and ask. You owe it to your company to at least do that.