"released" from sponsoring state

mello19

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has been in a situation where they have had to apply to be released from their sponsoring state.

I understand there is a moral, not legal obligation to fulfil the two year living/ working conditions of that state.

More specifically, any experiences where you have been sponsored by state X and before even attempting to live or try and find work in the sponsored state, you are offered a job in state Y. With clarity I mean, without even setting foot in state X you enter Australia and go immediately to state Y. How easy/ difficult is this release process?

Any comments/ advise/ experiences welcome.

• Like 1

yep, there used to be people on the forum who were sponsored by ACT, could not find work there or anywhere in Australia other than Brisbane which is where they went. If you have specific questions message me your e-mail address and I will ask them to get in touch...

Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone has been in a situation where they have had to apply to be released from their sponsoring state.

I understand there is a moral, not legal obligation to fulfil the two year living/ working conditions of that state.

More specifically, any experiences where you have been sponsored by state X and before even attempting to live or try and find work in the sponsored state, you are offered a job in state Y. With clarity I mean, without even setting foot in state X you enter Australia and go immediately to state Y. How easy/ difficult is this release process?

Any comments/ advise/ experiences welcome.

Being released without even trying is not applying in the spirit which it is intended and would be a black mark against your character. The forumite who did move had tried every thing and could prove that they had set up home and given it about six months. He also officially applied to be released. Not even setting foot in the state is tracked by the government as they can tell where you settle so they will track this down. This tracking down process happened to another forumite recently. He hasn't posted again to say what the outcome of not letting them know was.

Planning to apply for a state and then deliberately by-passing it to wherever you please is just wrong and dishonest in my opinion. Going about it like the previous forumite did was more than acceptable to the state he was in and would sit well with people too because circumstances do change.

• Like 3

Thank-you all.

I agree with the above and while it is not my intention to do so... it is a very real question. It can and obviously does happen to people, each persons circumstances are different and one should be prepared for the outcome.

I had friends who moved to WA and then wanted to be released by WA so they could move to Gold Coast. They were informed in a pretty formal manner this was not an option and if memory serves, they were told they would need to submit a whole new application to the new state they wanted to move to.

In the end they stayed in WA for the 2 years and had a fantastic time in WA making some great friends.

They did eventually move to Gold Coast once they had completed their time in WA. Essentially my friends wife had family there and they loved it so much on holiday there felt it was what they wanted from the get go.

Both husband and wife had a small ammount of stress in terms of finding work for a few months but it hapenned in the end and they are happy.

I am taking my family over to Goldie for a holiday to visit them in April. The upside for us is friends to visit if we ever go there. The downside is we obviously do not get to see them more than once per year.

• Like 1

Had your friends at least attempted to find work when they approached the state to be released?

We are very happy with staying in our SS, preferred actually but it is good to know what the rules are. It would seem that those who have either elected to or had to leave due to circumstances irrespective of the amount of time they spent in the SS if they could at least prove that they had tried to find work and could not, the state would release them.

They were informed in a pretty formal manner this was not an option and if memory serves, they were told they would need to submit a whole new application to the new state they wanted to move to.

Sounds fair. Without SS they would not have been given the extra points and wouldn't have got in. Being a successful migrant means doing WHATEVER it takes - cleaning houses, delivering pizza, mowing lawns If you sign up for a state ticket then you have to sit in those "seats".

Government funding (both state and federal) is tied to number of people so we can't have a situation where say WA gets money for x number of people when in fact those people never turn up but instead pitch up in say NSW which has not been given the budget for those extra people. Services such as schools and hospitals are funded on a per capita basis to some extent so states have to know who is migrating and is the reason for the whole state sponsorship system in the first place.

Edited by Crisplet
  • Like 2

Yip,

I agree, if you are sponosred at least show attempts to secure work. I got my 186, but if I had to go the SS route I would for sure stay where I got the visa. That piece of paper is way too precious to risk in my view, cos once you have it, you can go onto citizenship.

Had your friends at least attempted to find work when they approached the state to be released?

We are very happy with staying in our SS, preferred actually but it is good to know what the rules are. It would seem that those who have either elected to or had to leave due to circumstances irrespective of the amount of time they spent in the SS if they could at least prove that they had tried to find work and could not, the state would release them.

No they had not, they simply wanted to move to the Goldie. In fact i think when they made the enquiry they were in Goldie on holiday for a week or two before moving to WA. I guess the government views that if you are moving to a new country. entirely new country, then there is likely to be nothing as serious which would necessitate a move to a different state. I imagine it would be viewed in a dim light really. I know people who have taken on all sorts of jobs just to be fortunate enough to be living in Aus. Then again I know of people who have landed dream jobs and still not been happy with their lot in life. I guess its all down to perspective and gratefulness.

• Like 2

We got offered a job in another state. We actually asked immigration for leniency. Although we decided to come to WA they wrote to us saying it was a moral obligation not legal and they understood our situation that one has to go where work is. It will not affect your citizenship later we dis research that too. Hard decision. We a least let them know and they could see our commitment to WA we had bought a house opened bank accounts etc. Best of luck xzz

• Like 2

When I ever I attended Aussie immigration shows in London (and I attended may of these things), I made a point of asked each of the state representatives on the obligations of the state sponsored visa. What they said concurs with what people are saying above - it is a moral obligation, not a legal one and won't not affect your right to stay or citizenship application later on.

• Like 1

If you are a qualified engineer for example, and struggle to get a job as an engineer in WA (as an example). You have to take a job as a pizza delivery guy. You cannot afford to buy a car and can only afford to rent a tiny flat. Not contributing much to the economy or the job that the state sponsored you to do.

Now say you get offered a job as an engineer, in Queensland. You would earn way more that you would delivering pizza. You can now afford to buy a car and rent a nice house. Can afford to eat out occasionally and buy your misses some pretty things. Obviously contributing to the economy and paying more tax.

Would the Australian government tell you to stay poor and live in your state that sponsored you? Or would they prefer that you earn more, and contribute more to the economy?

• Like 1