Vetassess Plumbing Practiatical

NIENIEINSA

Hi...

My husband will be doing his Vetasses Plumbing Practical in Cape Town on 25 February. If anyone on this site has done the test, please can you give us some insight, information or tips on the actual days events. Can you use their tools, or can you take your own? Reason I am asking, is because he will have to fly from Durban, so I am not sure if he can take tools on the flight. He would prefer to use theirs.

Please can you give me more info on the theory side of the test. Do they ask you a lot of questions on formulas like flow rate of water, to work out the fall of a sewer pipe, etc?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

• 4 months later...

Hello there

I joined the forum and saw your message on the plumbing practical in cape town ,I am also busy applying for my 189 visa as a plumber and if all goes well I will be doing practice in November this year...I will like to know if your husband did do his test and how did it go....as there is not much info anywhere to read up on this test or to chat to anyone who has done it lately. ...thank you devon

Hello Guys. Just in case you are not aware of the information available on the Vetassess website here is a link to it.

I have had many South African plumbers successfully complete the Vetassess practical in Cape Town and from what they tell me if you are a competent plumber you will not find it difficult at all. The assessors are friendly and helpful and are expecting the applicants to be a bit nervous and allow for this.

I hope this helps!

Regards

Hi there .

Thank you for the reply and the info.

You right it is just the nervous that get to you a bit. I been a plumber for many years and very conferdent at my job ,I guess it is just going into the unknown and what they expecting from you on the day....

All will be ok.

Thanks devon

Hello

If you are an experienced plumber you will be more than ok. The intention is to assess whether you have the basic skills of a plumber. The assessor is extremely helpful and supportive. He is not out to trip you up. The day consists of a practical assessment in the morning and a written test in the afternoon. The practical assessment consisted of the following;

Pipe bending skills are tested with hot and cold connections and fitment of water heating unit/geyser

Build a drain stack onto a wall. Correct fall of water calcs were important.

Build a cone but was not as complicated as the SA trade test

I chose gas as one of my electives and therefore I wasn't assessed on my roofing skills as per the cone above. If you choose gas as an elective you will be required to add a gas supply to the water heating unit and do a pressure test on the line and set the pressure to either LPG or Natural gas requirements.

Please remember to always refer to and emphasize OHS standards as the Australian's are extremely safety conscious.

The written test consisted of the following;

A 30 page multiple question test. You can ask questions if you don't understand as some of them are Australian standard questions which obviously aren't applicable in SA. Your OHS knowledge is critical and is assessed. The main questions being asked are around Safety but quite logical and if you are an experienced plumber you will pass.

It is really important to try and take most of your own tools as they don't have enough and its nerve wrecking to wait for the tools to become available as the practical is time based. I bought some of the tools when I arrived in Cpt and the rest I had in my luggage. You should have the following as a bare minimum;

Spirit level, pipe cutter, calculator, pencil/marker, battery operated drill with a Phillips head (to save time)

The above was what I was assessed on in Feb 2015 but our assessor did mention that they are considering changing some of the content and therefore please only use this as a guide and not a guarantee.

Good luck!

Hello there

Firstly thank you very much for the info you gave me it helps a lot for preparing for the day...yes I will definitely be taking my own tools along,I stay in cape town so that won't be a problem for me..

Do they do the testing at the old befsa training collage in belhar,if so the last time I was there was in 2000 to do my trade test...did you apply for your 189 visa as well and if so how is it going and have you left already and settled in on the other side ....

And thanks again for the reply ...

Take care devon .......

Hi Devon

Apologies for the delay, we are on holiday - our last trip through Botswana and Namibia.....currently overlooking the Okavango Delta - our happy place.

Yes, that's where I was assessed but they confirm the exact location approximately 2-3 weeks beforehand via email.

Yes, we've applied for a 189 and submitted the last of the requested docs, our medicals, 2 weeks ago. Now we're waiting and praying for the grant email.

Stay in touch and good luck!

Hi Devon

Apologies for the delay, we are on holiday - our last trip through Botswana and Namibia.....currently overlooking the Okavango Delta - our happy place.

Yes, that's where I was assessed but they confirm the exact location approximately 2-3 weeks beforehand via email.

Yes, we've applied for a 189 and submitted the last of the requested docs, our medicals, 2 weeks ago. Now we're waiting and praying for the grant email.

Stay in touch and good luck!

Hi there

Your trip sounds amazing,our agent will be submitting our first docs tomorrow and then the waiting game to get a practical invite ....I want to start my preparation for the ielts test, need to get a level 7 ...have you done your english test yet and if so how did it go.

Enjoy the last stage of your road trip and safe journey home.

Cheers

Devon

Hi Devon

It's an amazing trip so far. Yes, I did and I simply worked through the online examples and that was sufficient to pass well. You'll do well - it's not difficult once you've worked through the examples you know what to expect. They are well organized on the day. I did my written as well as verbal on the same day - just a few hours in between.

Take care

Glad you having a super trip so far.

As I have been reading many comments on the ielts test I have desired to take a few preparation classes at the cape town school of english in claremont,there is a english lucturer Mr Norman Barnard that I meet yesterday and such a gentleman and he gives one on one classes ...at R180 a lesson I don't think it is bad at all,rather be prepared than waste R2500 and fail due to not knowing what to expect on the day....I was told that the ielts general test is fine and is accepted in the 189 visa application as a plumber to get my 10 points,did you do the same...

I have been reading so many topics and conversation on this forum and it is so amazing to read about everyone's journeys and their ups and down and how supportive everyone is to all question ,how big or small the topic is....

Really helping me and hope and pray that all works out for my family and I so we can return the favour one day and help and support others ....

Take care

Once again thanks to all on this forum..

Devon73.

Hi Devon

That sounds like an awesome idea - feeling more confident about the test will stand you in good stead on the day. It's a great investment for your future. Yes, the general test is the correct one.

Yes, this forum is amazing and has been a great support to us. Many forumites have paid it forward with their kindness and time. This is such a life changing process for all of us!

Cheers

Andre

Hello there

Pray all is well on your side.

Just a question to you that maybe you can help me with.My agent send me a document to fill out for the vetassess application

The heading is

VETASSESS

CANDIDATE

practical experience summary (PES)

it is a 5 page doc with questions asking to fill out describing your recent experiences in practical plumbing task also dates when this was done in the last 5 years.

I went throw the check list and did not see this doc sheet on it...do you recall filling it out before you send in your application.

Just want to confirm that I am not filling something out that is not suppose to be in the pack....

Sorry for all the questions!

Take care

Devon

Hi Devon

Yes, that is probably the most important part that you have to complete and submit. I attached various reference letters from clients as well to substantiate my experience.

By the way- we got our visa! Delighted!

Andre

Hello there Andre

That is awesome news and congratulations on the visa grant. ..

In the meanwhile the agency in cape town I paid to help me throw my proses and thought at the beginning they new what the were taking about ,now nearly two month later I relised they have no clue and was given me completely the wrong infomation and advise on my references and proof.

I relised that only after doing some research of my own about my visa type and what was needed to summit. ..in the meantime after now going to loose R30 000 to agent fees and went to see a agency called New World and only after 3 days with them I feel so more relaxed, this company really knows what they taking about and on top of it they gave me a really nice discount after I told them my story about the other agency in cape town and said I am not the first person to have walked throw their doors with the same complaints .

I guess I should have done some research on this company before sighing that contract.cannot now cry over spilt mik so just look forward and start again..

Once again well done on the visa and can only wish you and your family a safe and happy journey forward .

Take care and thanks for all the help you given

Cheers

Hi Devon

So sorry to hear about your awful experience. I've only seen positive referrals of New World on this forum, which means you are in good hands now.

If you need anything else give me a shout!

Nice end to our holiday - so happy.

• 2 months later...

Hello there Andre

Hope all is well with you and family .I would like to ask you some info on the practical test if you don't mind...I am doing mine on the 26 November .I would just like to know a little more about the paper based question tested you spoke about, you mentioned a multiple chose questionnaire .is it based on rules and regulations and OHS or something different and can you do some research and brushing up on this...I am quite comfortable on the practical side of things and will just brush up on my sheet metal work.got my results back yesterday for ielts and got 8 speaking 8.5 listening 7 reading and 6.5 writing and rewriting on the 24 of this month again as I need 7 all round to get extra 10 points for 189 visa.I see you received 489 visa which state did you apply for and region if I may ask.if I am not successful at the ielts with band 7 I will be applying for the 489 myself.I would like to move to Perth as I have very close friend over there who is also a plumber that can help me to get a job but only drawback is that if I don't get the 189 visa and I apply for the 489 he stays in central Perth and I will need to work and stay in a regional area and then he cannot help set me up with a job.

But like I believe, We can chose as destiny but God decides. ...

Once again congrats on the visa grant and thanks for all the help.

Devon

Hi Devon

The theoretical exam afterwards was, if I remember correctly, a 20 page Q&A of which some were OHS related. There were also some basic true or false questions and then a few 5 point questions which you could figure out logically. I really don't think you should stress too much. If you are in the trade you will be fine as that is what they test. I understand that the unknown is a bit daunting, but relax, you have the necessary experience.

Good luck with the IELTS rewrite. We have a state sponsored visa for NSW, Northern Inland. We are looking at all regional areas as per the terms/post codes of the visa grant for work opportunities.

Hope this helps.

Andre

I see I made an error in one of my earlier messages - must have been the holiday feeling - I applied for a 489 visa not a 189.

Thank you for the reply .

Thanks for the info on test .You are right I have been a plumber for many years and worked on some amazing projects so it's just the unknown that is a little stressful, but all will be OK. ..

Good luck on yourside with your preparation and will let you know my outcome.

Take care

Devon.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Pleased to meet you all! Devon how did your vetassess test go? Im also gathering info for applying for the 189 aswell....so any info would help! I have read this entire thread and it is very insightful.

Hello there. 

All went well with the trade test thanks. It is a full day of about 3 hours theory and about 6 hours practical. I have not received my results yet but I am sure I did ok to have passed.... I do not know were you at in your process but you are more than welcome to send me your contact number in a private message (have no clue how you do that yet?) and I have no problem given you a call to discuss the process and to see where ever I can help... I am just waiting on my police clearance certificate and the results from trade test and then I will Lodge my visa application.

Take care 

Devon. 

• Like 1

Hi Devon73

I am in the Electrical trade, I did my practical on the same day as you in Cape Town on the 26th of November, I arrived at the venue very early in the morning and met two plumbers, one from Durban and one from Cape Town, I don't know if you're one of them by chance, but anyway I received my positive feedback from vetassess through my agent in mid December and lodged my EOI in Mid-Dec, I don't know if the plumbing trade takes longer to give feedback, but our assessor said we should expect feedback in 14 days and I got mine around the same time he said.

On 1/2/2016 at 0:55 PM, Devon73 said:

Hello there. 

All went well with the trade test thanks. It is a full day of about 3 hours theory and about 6 hours practical. I have not received my results yet but I am sure I did ok to have passed.... I do not know were you at in your process but you are more than welcome to send me your contact number in a private message (have no clue how you do that yet?) and I have no problem given you a call to discuss the process and to see where ever I can help... I am just waiting on my police clearance certificate and the results from trade test and then I will Lodge my visa application.

Take care 

Devon. 

Hi Devon

Yes thanks that would be great....just got New World Immi invoice....so still on stage 1....but i need to brush up on a few modules on the vetassess prac and theory. Would it be possible for us to meet up? if you are still this side obviously! 

Regards

Hello there theshi

Sorry for the late reply but I was away on holiday on a guest farm were there  was no reception or WiFi. Just got back home now. 

Yes it was me that you met the morning of the trade test... I spoke to my agent and he said it takes about 30 to 45 days to get final results back for the plumbers... Congrats on you results. So I am hoping to get mine in the next  week.

Let me know how it goes with your EOI.. 

Take care. 

Chat soon.....  

Hello there tyroneH

Very glad to hear that you are going with new world...Our agent is Johnathan and he is amazing and extremely helpful and professional... I have no problem meeting up and we can chat about the plumbing side process and I will help were ever I can... 

Let me know when you want to meet.. 

Cheers

Devon.... 

19 minutes ago, Devon73 said:

Hello there tyroneH

Very glad to hear that you are going with new world...Our agent is Johnathan and he is amazing and extremely helpful and professional... I have no problem meeting up and we can chat about the plumbing side process and I will help were ever I can... 

Let me know when you want to meet.. 

Cheers

Devon.... 

Fantastic thanks. Please pop me an email on thewitt8@webmail.co.za with your number. and il and il get into contact with you. Thanks again!