IELTS Corruption

Oceanview

My sister-in-law was booked to write her IELTS in January. Two days before the test she was notified that her booking was changed to February because they did not received her proof of payment (which was already sent a few months ago). They said she should immediately send through the proof of payment which she did. This call was followed by an email changing her booking to February in anyway.

She was very stressed and disappointed because she had already been prepared to write in two days and as you all know the IELTS is a very big step in the process so a lot of emotion goes with it.

Her husband phoned the IELTS offices and complained about it. The person they spoke to confirmed that it should not have happened and that they do have a problem with employees who take "bribe" money to push people into earlier bookings!!! :angry2:

They then changed her booking back to January and she wrote on the correct date. She had to however go through a whole different process on the day as someone else was pushed into her place.

So please everyone out there waiting for their fair chance at the IELTS: when this happens to you, please enquire about it and don't just go with the new date. I have read a similar post where this has happened. It is not right, and remember that they don't even make your booking if they have not received your proof of payment. So if someone phones you from IELTS, please be aware of this and don't be a victim of corruption.

Edited by Oceanview
  • Like 1

NOT COOL!!!!

Soooo relieved that all of this is behind us, just waiting for our date to get on the plane.

Good luck to all of you and I am holding thumbs for your SIL.

:ilikeit:

Oh my, I can't believe that such things can happen !! Only 2,5 months into our new life in OZ and the honesty that we've found here has made even the thought of such things happening almost unthinkable !! I hope for all forumites still on your way, that your roads may be smooth and stress free !!

• Like 1

Jeepers this is worrying......

I am writing 28th Feb and have emailed these guys 5-6 times to get confirmation of booking. Just get automated reply email's.

If I log into the website with my IELTS number my registration status is listed a 'Processing', its been that way since 22 Jan when I booked.

Holding thumbs......

Wannagonow... you should continue to call them... I had my terrible experience with them.... I paid.. contacted them to confirm that they had my payment and that I was registered.. they confirmed all that... they then sent me an email with my exam location and times for both exams... I drove all the way to Pretoria from Gaborone with these documents only to be told at the exam centre that my name was not in their list and unfortunately there is nothing they can do... 'but here is a complaint sheet if you want to write your complaint!!!' I was beyond livid... wrote them a long letter and called to speak to their management... but since I needed them more than they needed me... I had to accept their apology and have them book me into their next date... I put in a claim for my petrol and accommodation.. but nothing has come through to date...

so I advice everyone to call and re-call to confirm that they really are on the list!!! just hope no one goes through what I went through!!

@Wannagonow - the worst of those automated replies is that they state they will respond within 3 business days of your email.........??????? Still awaiting a response to mine sent in November ( at least my tests are done and dusted ), but it's the principal of the matter.

@NatalieB - I am appalled at your story! To be penalised due to an error on their part is just inexcusable, especially since you had to travel from one country to another, never mind within RSA itself. :(

While you state you need them more than they need you, one would have thought that now that there are alternative tests available to the IELTS, they would try to improve customer service to keep people booking for IELTS . Have you perhaps explored the alternatives to IELTS yourself and possible test centres in Botswana for them?

I think there should be a drive on this forum to boycott British Council for IELTS and promote that people write the TOEFL iBT and PTE tests. Problem is that most know the format of IELTS. Have yet to read experiences of the other new tests made available late last year / earlier this year.........

@EmNew....I know... people really should try and look at the other exams... they did re-book me to write the exam in Botswana... I am sooo glad that I am over that IELTS phase... now just waiting for that golden email!!!!!

Hope those paying bribes don’t make it into Oz though. Cannot stand those kinds of people or the ones jumping red lights or the ones…… :angry2:

Edited by DanielK
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

And it is happening again!! :angry2:

My sister-in-law is booked to write IELTS this saturday and today got a call to say they cancelled her registration as they did not receive her proof-of-payment (which they did)...

So another person will again be given the advantage to write earlier because they were willing to bribe.

Does anybody on here know someone or have a contact at the British Council who might be able to assist?? :boxing:

Please...

Oceanview, even if you tried contacting the British council there phone lines are down until wednesday. There is a cell number that you can try them on though. Check their facebook page.

It angers me how they will prey on anyone to make a quick buck! They don't care and they know people are desperate to leave the country, so they do their best to make your life miserable. That country is so corrupt, it is not even shocking anymore...