Australian work experience

ByronSmith

Hey all,

Glad I found a forum for Saffa's as that Pomsnioz one is full of poms! Not that there is anything wrong wrong with them of course, I have to live with them. ;-)

Anyway, although I have a job waiting for when I land in Aus, I have a question regarding experience. I keep reading how companies prefer people with local experience. It may well be impossible to learn this without working there, but this illusive local experience, is there anyway one could read up and get a basic understanding before gaining it in person?

I guess it's how one defines local experience. Are we talking work culture, politics, finance, technology etc

Is it purely down to working locally or can one gain this knowledge before hand?

Probably a stoopid question, so forgive me.

Cheers

Byron

Hey there and welcome to the forum. It is a little corner of cyber space full of invaluable gems on immigration.

As far as the local experience goes, it's a case of most employers wanting you to have experience in the Aussie work place. Although it is an advantage there are cases where you will be interviewed and evaluated on your skills and previous work experience rather than your local experience. It all comes down to who you end up getting a job with.

I got a job in the IT industry without previous Aussie experience, so it can be done.

I also got work in IT in Perth with no former Aussie experience. Was never asked for it, but have learnt to mention it at interview time and it normally ellicits a knowing nod of the head.

My husband met a few very interesting people while he was interviewing for a job. He met up with one bloke from RSA and been in he's industry for over 10 years. He's opinion was that the employers used "Aussie experience" as an excuse not to hire you due to any other reason... If they like you and you have the right skill for the job and they feel your personality wil fit, you will get the job..... as also proven by above posts of Surferman and HEOJJ

• Like 2

Bang on Renny,

It's about "feel". Almost 100% of the time, apart from technical skills etc, if I like a candidate, I will hire then on the sense I get. I am not always right, but these days hit it say, err about 95+% right first time. They need to move right, and behave the way I am looking for that specific role.

You can do it! I always say, be yourself! You cannot lie to yourself! Som you will win, some you will lose. But always be true to yourself. Yes, if you are desparate, adapt, but once the pickings are richer, hunt for a better deal.

:ilikeit::blush-anim-cl:

Sorry put this post in the wrong location and cannot seem to delete it ;(

Edited by RosFam