The medicals: what exactly do they examine?

mistermoose

Hi again guys

For those who've been for medicals before, please could you share some details of exactly what the medicals involve, in terms of what ends up being checked (male and female), including how undressed you might need to be etc?

Just want to be ready for whatever they end up asking or doing :)

Thanks!

As far as I can recall, it was wee in a cup, blood test, x-ray, medical history, palpate abdomen, listen to heart, lungs, weight / height..

I can't remember any more.

No colonoscopy, I would have remembered that. :) Mine was a while ago, though, so there were leeches involved.

• Like 2

Hi mistermoose :)

I did mine a few months ago. This is what me and hubby did:

1. ordered by doctor to take all clothes off except underwear, ladies are allowed to keep bra on. The doctor said this was to look for skin cancer because it is a big problem in Australia. Despite having on full undies, he has to look everywhere (i.e. so he lifts undies out of way to see bum cheeks...etc) but he was incredibly quick and professional. Before you know it he has seen almost everything of you before your brain can register the intrusion.

2. Vitals: blood pressure, heart rate, heart auscultation.

3. Palpation: abdomen, breasts/chest (hubby and me - cancer). Again, from a woman's perspective, he was so quick I didn't feel uncomfortable. (please guys, don't make jokes about this :glare: - it has to be written so that people know what to expect).

3. He read through our medical history forms that we filled in before hand and only asked us some basic questions.

4. Blood tests

5. Urine tests

6. Chest X-rays.

Goodluck! Its really fast and easy.

Edited by PTLF
  • Like 1

As mentioned above, it was a lot simpler than we expected. While I had to undress to my underwear, he did not look inside my drawers.

You also have to do an eye test - stand and read numbers off of a chart so make sure you take your glasses / contact lenses if you need.

• Like 1

Yes, they don't look at privates but the skin around it.

• Like 1

Sheesh the guys in Durban were clearly slack!. We had to give urine sample. Normal blood pressure, weight, height type of tests. Listened to breathing/heart. Checked ears and throat. Asked lots of medical history questions and blood tests. No clothing removal or anything.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's good to know that it's not too bad. Though am toying with the idea of going to Tazzn's doc in Durban - might be worth the R900 :)

Pretty much the same as Oubaas Dirk plus I had to touch my toes and unlike some other people, we're not asked to take off any of my clothes! And definitely no "checking" anywhere near any private bits!

Sheesh the guys in Durban were clearly slack!. No clothing removal or anything.

Sounds like you got a raw deal... ?

We had our medicals done last friday in rosebank - Dr Cobb...this guy is hilarious.

Exam included getting undressed down to underwear (checking for spousal abuse I believe :D ), blood pressure, height, weight, listening to the heart for any issues, and some other general checks - throat, etc...

They also tested our urine, and drew bloods for an HIV. They were pretty efficient as our results have already been uploaded to the immi website.

Medicals were R800 ea, and X-rays were R700 ea.

We had our medicals done last friday in rosebank - Dr Cobb...this guy is hilarious.

Exam included getting undressed down to underwear (checking for spousal abuse I believe :D ), blood pressure, height, weight, listening to the heart for any issues, and some other general checks - throat, etc...

They also tested our urine, and drew bloods for an HIV. They were pretty efficient as our results have already been uploaded to the immi website.

Medicals were R800 ea, and X-rays were R700 ea.

So if you prefer not to get "strip searched" avoid Dr Cobb... :jester:

• Like 1

Went for medicals today at Hatmed. Receptionist said they are processing medicals like crazy. AUS. NZ and Canada.

interesting.......

adults- general check up stated above by LeoR.

Xrays and blood tests for adults.

Urine for adults and kids.

Took about 2hours for the four of us.

Good to know, thanks Faduv!

Interesting feedback about the number of people going for tests. When we sent our PCC docs off from a tiny little PostNet in our suburb, they knew the address and how to arrange the return courier straight away. Apparently, they're sending 7-9 PCC requests off every WEEK. And that's just a tiny little branch.