electrician gap training WA

Martin101

Hello

Has anyone done or will soon be doing general electrician gap training in Western Australia?

I see the cost involved is huge!!!!!!!!!!

Would like to get more info and thoughts please

Thank you

Martin

Hi Martin,

Search through my posts regarding the route that I chose as I had a similar issue around three years ago when we arrived in Oz. Not sure if it is the same now but basically 1) convert your South African license to a South Australian license (search 'Peer Veet' training in Adelaide) - complete a workbook, do a Mickey Mouse 'mini trade test' in three days 2) via a process called 'mutual recognition', you just complete a paper exercise to have your South Australian license converted to a Western Australian one - voila !

They are moving closer to a National License & I think that is imminent - QLD and NSW licenses are now recognised in each of the two respective states

Hope this helps you

Hi Craig

Thanks will check your posts

I did mail Peer they say its a 2 week course and 6 months on job training. my only concern is where to find work to do on job training. I also mailed college in Perth.about the same.just a extra course on cables.

But how was yours done so quickly? how long did it take you??

Let me find those posts and will get back to you

Thanks man

Hey,

Did you contact Peer Veet in South Australia?

If this is true then it has changed

While still in South Africa, I paid the course fees (International Correspondence I think it was called) and they sent me a workbook to complete - it takes quite a while to do that.

I then booked the course with them before my imminent arrival. The course itself is just three days, with the 'trade test' done at the end of the last day ! We got the certificate within an hour of finishing the course. After submitting my docs I had my full Class A SA Licence within 2 weeks - that was it.

One other thing, back then I also applied for my TRA Certificate from South Africa and glad I did as it took ages to be approved - the TRA Certificate is/was a Trade Certificate that acknowledged my South African trade (Electrician).

Also, there was no VETASSESS for sparkies when I went .... it was just a paper exercise through the TRA

Just do loads of research on the current system and loopholes .... if I hadn't at the time, I would had to have been forced to do a 6 month stint as an 'apprentice' in Queensland ! I suggest you logon to the pomzinoz forum as there are loads of sparkies on that site and you may pickup a thread there

feel free to ask anymore questions - I can only really answer you regarding what I went through though

Good Luck !

Craig

Hi Craig

I could only trace back your posts to a year ago.

I did contact Peer and in short the following they sent me

To complete the Vetassess process you will need to complete the Australian Minimal Context Gap training, plus provide a minimum of 3 months Australian Work experience in the trade.

But will search on.there must be an easier way!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice.I will definitely message you again.

Also saw you have experience in moving to Oz alone? I will be doing that. So any advice?

Thanks