Best Mobile Operators for 'always on' 3G internet

chrisl8592

Hi, we will be going to Melbourne and Sydney in February for two weeks and wanted to know who the most reliable operators to get a sim card primarily for conistent 3G internet on my phone.

Calls and smses are not really important even though we will be in both CBD's instead of somewhere remote.

I have seen Amaysim powered by the Optus network have an offer for 5GB of data for 44-95, looks a good deal anyone have thoughts.

Telstra is without a doubt the best, but the most expensive.

Optus and Vodafone and both still pretty good between 3G and 4G in Melbourne city areas, but I haven't found them to be that great in Sydney.

From the time we arrived in Aus (one year ago) we have been with Amaysim. Very happy with them. Several months back did a road trip, Adelaide-Melbourne-Sydney and back to Adelaide through Wagga Wagga. Not once did we loose signal. Had audio streaming on throughout the journey via the phone.

For calling RSA and Botswana landlines I use the app Nymgo. Costs $0.03/minute. Or SKYPE. The 5GB data is quite ample for this.

Considering the price and coverage it is a good deal.

I think you'll find that Amaysim is the best service provider for a mobile phone in Sydney and Melbourne.

Unlimited phone calls from your mobile (cell) phone to another phone in Australia, whether a landline (home) phone or mobile (cell) phone.

Unlimited SMS text messages and MMS picture messages to another mobile phone in Australia.

Unlimited calls to a 1-800 or 1-300 premium call charge numbers.

5Gb of data for those smart phone users who tend to do internet banking, Skype calls to South Africa or Britain, Facebook addicts and Twitter fans.

. . . . . you can search the internet, but no other phone company gives as good a deal as Amaysim.

I use Amaysim nowadays, and when I run out of 5Gb of data, I buy an extra 2.5Gb or 4Gb of data to see me thro the month.

Sydney and Melbourne both have 4G internet connection in many parts of the city, but 3G is fine for downloading material off the internet . . . . . a bit slower maybe, but at a far cheaper price, it's worthwhile surfing on the old 3G and downloading for a whole lot less expense.

Amaysim "piggy back" off the Optus (Singapore Telecom) network.

• Like 1

I've been on Optus since our arrival 3 months ago, travel all over Sydney and haven't had a single dropped call or out of service issues, 85% of the time on 4G, 10% on 3G and 5% on Edge in remote locations. I've bundled it with our home ADSL and Fetch TV and get a monthly reduction. I bought my own phone and so just the SIM package which is unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 2GB data is $39.00 a month.

Cheers

Matt

I've been on Optus since our arrival 3 months ago, travel all over Sydney and haven't had a single dropped call or out of service issues

I can think of quite a few places where optus just does not function. Give it time, you will start to make those return calls, "Sorry hunny, I was in church and you know I don't get signal there".

Optus head offices are in Macquarie park. You would think their cell coverage would be fantastic there. But years later they are installing a new tower in the area to get rid of dead spots. Perhaps the staff like it, " Sory boss, I walked across the road to the shops. You must know there are dead spots all over Macquarie centre.. You remind your boss about them all the time."

Monsta, I'm sure there are, just giving my experience.

From Paddo to Vaucluse, Surry Hills to Botany and the CBD to Leichhardt I've not had a single dropped call. Granted in 3-months I've only crossed over to the North Shore twice, so outside of Inner Sydney it might be a different story.

I'm very happy with the service I've received, and Amaysim shares their backbone, so I'd expect similar service. I can tell you that between Vodacom and MTN back in South Africa the service has been amazing and the fees very fare.

Cheers

Matt

I think there's a big difference between "the best" and "the best value"...

No doubt Amaysim and the likes of TPG provide fantastic value, but Telstra is the best in terms of coverage and service reliability.

It's important to decide which one you're after.

• Like 1

Last year, I read an article in London on Australia having the most expensive mobile (cell) phone charges in the world.

It was attributed to lack of competition in Australia for the outrageous mobile call charges.

Sure . . . . . you can get "better" coverage with one carrier compared to another, but for the 1% of time that I'm not covered, I don't think paying 3X the charge warrants the extra outlay.

It's all about getting "best bang for your buck" or finding that financial "sweetspot"

I pay $44.95 a month with Amaysim (unlimited calls, texts, 5Gb data)

Telstra would slug me $120 a month for the same sort of deal.

99% of the time, I have coverage.

So . . . . . what do you reckon is the best bang for my buck????

Edited by Bob

It depends on where you live, what your local coverage is like, and where you spent the most of your time in relation to that coverage.

I'm all for value, that's why I'm with Virgin - but it's not the same for everybody.

People who live in remote areas would argue that $44 a month does them no good if there is no signal.

Just to be clear, when I say "signal" I mean both Internet and phone signal.

I have recently moved from telstra to virgin (uses Optus network). Can confirm my wife's phone on Telstra works in places mine goes SOS....last incident was last weekend in Maleny, a tourist town in the sunshine coast hinterland. My wife had a strong 4G signal.

• Like 1

Optus have an online coverage map. Its google maps overlayed with different colours showing the signal quality you are likely to get each spot. The map is accurate at least at my home.

Just do a google for the optus coverage map. That will show you the true cost of saving a few hundred rands on your trip.

The map will also show that you usually just need to walk outside to get proper coverage.

Edited by monsta

The OP did ask for Melbourne (shudder) and Sydney, so I'm guessing his idea of Amaysim might be adequate? Guys?

Let's not get into the far outback .... and I agree with Hansa that there is value and there is coverage - you have to choose.

Amaysim good enough for me as will be located in the CBD of two cities and will go out once to Yarra Valley and Blue mountains.

Amaysim good enough for me as will be located in the CBD of two cities and will go out once to Yarra Valley and Blue mountains.

Should be fine...based on my experience in Maleny, which is in a major tourist area near Brisbane, just be prepared that you may have spotty access the days you are in the Blue Mountains and Yarra Valley. Fine for a few weeks but can be annoying more long term when you may have spotty access when you visit a local tourist area....specially when your wife has full access :)

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to open up this discussion again to find out if anyone is using Boost Mobile? They apparently use the Telstra network which would have the benefits of better coverage. Their basic $40 prepaid package is good but you need to 'add-on' ($10) if you want international connection.

http://boost.com.au/$40-unlimited-pre-paid-sim-plan.aspx

Would appreciate any feedback.

Edited by greggle

Nice, thanks Frandri!