Moving Company costs excluded

Kanniewagnie

Hallo there!

We recently obtained about 10 different quotes from International Movers for a 20 ft container ranging from about R60000 to R76000 (insurance excluded)

The following are generally the list of things EXcluded from the above price.

1. Duties, taxes, demurrage, destination GST/TAX, low emission zone fees, or other such disbursements
2. Storage and warehouse handling at destination
3. Container cleaning fee
4. Quarantine inspection fees ($440-700)
5. Dumarrage and NVOCC charges
6. Extaneous Customs and port fees
7. Container x-ray fees
8. Any other Third Party Charges
9. Saturday and Sunday surcharge
10. Port documentation fees

The only point of which I am certain will have to be paid is nr 4 which is anything between $440-700)

I need to determine how much "hidden costs" the rest amount to according to your experiences. Let's say we do not take any suspicious items, ie shells, spices, gardening or camping equipment, infested wood etc, and our assignment does not need to be fumigated for goggos, what is a sure thing we can expect to pay extra (according to your experience) if you look at nr 1 - 10 above.

Thank you for your input!

Regards,

• Like 1

From experience customs are nervous about anything coming out of SA, what we found was that that they flagged the most obscure things for quarantine!

All our boxes of clothes were flagged, they cut each of the boxes open to inspect and our baby gates, and sealed with quarantine stickers. Our animal hides, skulls and things I thought might get flagged sailed through. We never saw the bill for the inspection, so I can't help you with costs (paid for by my wife's employer) other than what was flagged and inspected, nothing was sprayed and on the new items/furniture etc we had to pay a 10% levy/duty.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

How did they determine what was 'new'? None of my items are new but are in all generally in very good condition ... is it there discretion?

Thanks,

G

• Like 1

Greggle,

We declare what was under 1yr old or new in boxes, we felt it was right and just paid the duties. Much of the stuff was half the price of what we would have spent in Aus to replace it so paying the 10% import duties was a small cost in the bigger scheme of things. I guess if they called you out for something being new you'd need a way to prove otherwise, but we didn't run into anything like that.

Cheers

Matt

Hallo again,

Well, it seems like not many of the people "out there" had any unexpected moving costs to cough up.

We decided to go with British International. Did any of you use them, and do you have any comments (good or bad)?

The lowest three quotes we received were: 1. Brittish Int, 2. Biddulph 3. Brytons/Brittania

I appreciate your input.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

Just a quick question, did you have to get any of your stuff cleaned or treated?

We have a few wooden masks and two mountain bikes and I am not sure how to clean or treat them so that they can easily pass though customs.

Thanks

I cleaned everything (bicycles, ladder etc) with a toothbrush, nailbrush, steelwool and soap... and those things with too much soil, like ground sheets, we advertised on OLX. Wooden masks I gave away. Knopkieries I varnished. Tools I sprayed with spookpiepie (Qsomething) . Anything rusty we've sanded and painted. Garden tools we sold.

I took a chance with some garage stuff.., although I cleaned it as thoroughly as possible. hold thumbs, our container will hopefully arive by end April. I shudder to think we might have to pay for gamma-what-nots. But I'll let you know how things turned out.

With regard to "how did they know it was new"

We took a brand new Speed Queen washer and dryer with us. Magna told us to declare it, because they will check it at customs and they will know that it is new as the serial numbers depict the year of manufacturer. They were spot on, exactly what happened.

• 3 weeks later...

The answer....

R1640 due to fluctuation in exchange rate (iow weakened Rand); plus

$500 for quarantine inspection personal effects; plus

$688.49 Port & Terminal charges.

• Like 2

The answer....

R1640 due to fluctuation in exchange rate (iow weakened Rand); plus

$500 for quarantine inspection personal effects; plus

$688.49 Port & Terminal charges.

hi Kanniewagnie,

So am I correct in assuming that was what you paid and that your container have arrived?

Yes, the container arived in the harbour on 9 April. It will take approximately 2 weeks before delivery.

Did your quote not have a clause on it that the final price is subject to the exchange rate on the day the ship leaves port? That is what ours did!

Yes, the quote had a whole lot of exclusions. I just wanted to know what amount to be prepared for. Finally I could share what the actual 'exlusions' were in a Rand/$ value, it just makes it easier for those who still have to plan for the big move. It will of course be different for each one.

• 4 months later...

Thanks a lot for sharing the quarantine and port charges, so now we know to budget about R13 000 extra for the landing.