child unabridged birth certificate.....or lack there of

Kimmykins

Hi all,

Applied for my children's ubc's May'2014, im still waiting for my youngests, despite sending additional forms they requested in Nov 2014 (it would appear they lost her birth record and asked me to re-register her) STILL no news. Called them and visited them numerous times only be told the same thing over & over again "it is still in process"

Anyone else struggling with this, how did you overcome it, is there anything I can do to speed up The process, is there anything else I can submit or use as it is the only thing outstanding?

Hi Kimmykins. I know dealing with Home Affairs is like trying to draw blood from a stone. I also had trouble getting an unabridged certificate from them. What I found helped in my case was to phone their Call Centre on 0800601190. Luck of the draw the type of agent you get. I asked them to label my application as urgent on their system and give me a case number. I then proceeded to call every week, sometimes twice a week, and in the end I was sorted. You may have similar luck, hope this works out for you.

I applied in Sep and received my sons in 2 weeks. My daughter, who was born 5 years later ... is still outstanding.

I did what LeighM said about the call centre and my hold up was also the birth records. Yesterday they confirmed that they have found the records and are now doing the certificate. They also marked it as VERY urgent. Might have mine next week.

Good luck

ps: the call centre is very helpful

Thanks Ladies,

Been doing the call center thing since end November, guess I'm just being impatient. Will keep trying, I have in the meantime contacted the hospital where she was born, I should be getting a copy of her birth record by next week. I am planning on sending a copy of it to PTA HO I hope that it may speed up the process.

Thanks for the help. Are u guys over yet?

• 1 month later...

Hi we are in same situation. Originally applied in Jul14 they also "lost" our childs records. Have re-submitted forms a few times and have been calling the call centre every 2 weeks. Getting really frustrated and dont know what to do. Any advise would be greatly appreciated

I know this doesn't help you guys. But when I got married, we had heard similar stories. So got married, then went to a passport agent the next week and applied for our unabridged marriage certificate. We were told that our pastor hadn't yet submitted his paperwork. So, we chased him up. The passport agency even told us the name of the lady at home affairs who processed marriages. They even visited her and got our stuff done.

There are good people out there, Even at home affairs! Granted I don't think that many of them are like that.

I guess the moral is, never wait until Home Affaires take your records ands drop them into the black hole that is their filing system.

Hi Nienieinsa,

Yes, I looked up the minister in charge of issuing certificates cell number on the dep of home affair's website after following some valuable information on this page. His name is Norman, give him a shout,I had my certificate after a day's wait and they followed up on whether I received it. Also got an apology for me inconvenience. It was by far the best route to follow.

Good luck ;-)

• Like 2

Hi,

I had similar problems - all but one birth certificate issued timeously, and the last one took nearly 6 months. Called the call centre incessantly, had it labeled urgent, followed up with case numbers etc, even spoke to a supervisor. They were all very sweet and marked things urgent and requested feedback, but nothing came of it.

After months of frustration, I called the Home affairs branch where I'd applied (Paarl) and the lady basically told me not to bother with the call centre because it doesn't amount to much, and I should've called them at the branch right from the start because they have insider contacts to follow up with. Needless to say, less than a week later I had the certificate in my hand. Good luck everyone, it's a very frustrating experience!

Thank you Kimmykins. I will try to get his cell number off the website.

Please wish me luck B)

It sounds like its a case of you need to speak to the white lady who knows what's going on. I had the same trouble with UNISA.. Their call centre was about as useless as an Aussie trying to order a coffee from an Asian lady who doesn't speak English.

I solved my UNISA issue by bypassing the call centre too. They were nice people, but they didn't think it was there problem that they couldn't help me. I got the feeling their attitude was "buggrer this guy.. What he wants wasn't covered in my call centre training. I don't get paid extra to go and find out how to help him".

Edited by monsta

Hi Kimmykins

Thanks so much for you advise. I called Norman and he referred me to Mbatha, cell number 082 303 5516. She sorted our problem out within one day. My husband went to home affairs this morning and received the unabridged birth certificate!

We are delighted!

Thanks

• Like 1

Yay, I'm happy it helped, now you are one step closer to Australia....*happy dance*

Hi everyone, how long did you wait before you contacted Norman? We applied at the beginning of jan for our unabridged birth certificates and marriage certificate and we are still waiting....

Hi Shehraan,

I had waited too long...May 2014 with constant promises that my case woulb be escalated but it was never sorted. Got my UBC the next day after contact.

Hi Shehraan,

We applied in July 2014 and only got it sorted now in March 2015, so we waited quite a while

I applied last week monday and got the SMS today to go collect. I was so shocked I read the SMS twice just to be sure it did not perhaps say something else.

• Like 1

Hi Guys

I must say I have had excellent service with our local home affairs in Ermelo Mpumalanga. Received my new passport in less than 2weeks last year. I also applied for my unabridged birth certificate on the 10th March 2015 and received and sms today saying it's ready for collection, i was told 6-8weeks, so with a 15day turn around time I am blown away! I also applied for our unabridged marriage cert on the 10th March and expecting an sms soon for collection. I know the unabridged marriage cert is not a must as some people have said on the forum, but rather want to be safe.

I hope those that are still waiting receive theirs soon.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Fantastic news HHH and CorneWagemaker...