489 Skilled State Nominated Provisional Visa - QLD - trades

NiniJ

Please could we have some of your opinions and views and advice on this Visa? as well as on QLD.

Hubby is a carpenter and site supervisor, writing his English test on 10 January and hopefully the VETASSESS interview early February. He turns 40 in April and will then lose 10 points so there is a big push to get everything in before then. (most documents have already been compiled and submitted to the agents so we are all good there)

We have signed up with an agent, who has advised that we apply for a 489 Skilled State Nominated Provisional Visa. Currently the state offering sponsorship for carpenters in terms of their SMP is Queensland. (We were hoping for WA, but have since been researching QLD and it looks amazing!) Anyone in a trade living in QLD? If so, please could you share with us!

We are wondering if this is the best/right Visa to go for? (we have researched the facts on immi, but want some peoples opinions on this)

Honestly, we are concerned about not being able to live or work in the main cities. What if we can't find a job in a regional area. . . it just seems like we are minimising our opportunities?

Hubby says that QLD would not be sponsoring a 489 provisional visa for carpenters if there was not a demand for carpentry/site supervisor jobs in those areas - would you say this is correct? And that finding a carpentry job would be easy-ish? (decking, kitchens, pergolas, BIC's etc etc)

If anyone has any info, advice, opinions etc on this VISA, as well as on trades in QLD and life in general in QLD, we would REALLY appreciate it!!

Thank you :-)

Hi there NiniJ. I can't help much with your situation but we are in the same boat but as you guys but only for WA as an electrician. I have been granted the 489 and is currently in WA on a LSD and Mandurah is great we have been here since the 15 DEC and met a South African family on the beach and was invited for dinner yesterday. We had a great chat with them and they will help with our relocation they even offered for us to stay with them for a month or 2. All I wanted to say is good luck and keep in mind that he can work in any sector once he is here and once have gain more contacts to go back to his trade. Cheers

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing B007. It's encouraging to hear stories like yours! I have heard there are SO many South Africans in WA and that they are very helpful and good to their fellow Saffers :-)

Best of luck and enjoy your LSD!

• Like 1

Wel, we are also busy with a 489. Hubby is struggling to get the points on ielts.

We have sold the house already and moving into a rental for hopefully 6 months or less..... we are looking at gold coast in queensland. Closest to the sea on a regional visa. I just hope and pray he gets it on the 10th of jan cause british council have emailed to say his is cancelled as there are some info missing. Bull dust. Send them emails so hoping they see it before and re instate the date.

But all we can do is hope pray all the way!!

• 5 months later...

And? How did hubby do? How is your planning on the 489 going?

Hubby also struggled with the IELTS. After 4 times and once PTE we decided on 489 NSW - lodged visa yesterday!

Good luck ... been following your story