Question about Medicals

Gunner

Hi guys

Does the doctor doing medical exam need to see the chest xray at all, or do these get sent through independently of one another?

Reason I'm asking is because we'd like to do our medicals and chest xrays on seperate days, as it's a bit pricey doing them all on the same day.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

Perhaps call the Doctor that does the medicals and enquire. We had our Xrays done at a separate place on the same day. Personally I can't see why you couldn't do them on different days but may be best to ask the Dr.

• Like 1

Gunner, what is the latest costs. We will be doing ours in February - Pta. 2 adults and 2 children (twins, 7 years old).

Tx

FD

Hi FD

Cost per person is as follows:

Medical - R750

HIV Blood Test - R190

Chest XRay - R1070

Not sure about costs for kiddies.

Tazzn - I called doctor's office and receptionist says they send off medical results, and xrays get sent off by radiologist's office. So I guess we can do medicals and xrays on different days.

Hey,

I don't know for sure.. But several GPs here have told me that you have to be specifically to read an xray in Australia.

As far as I remember from when I had mine done, the person taking the xray had to send it to a doctor upstairs. He had to decide if he could see what he needed to. That doctor didn't write up a report on me. He just confirmed that the representive of the Aussie government who would look at it eventually wouldn't have an issue with it.

When I did my medicals, I was told that the doctor you go to see just collects information about you, blood samples, etc. They don't make any decisions.

I hope that made sense. Oh and when you get here, don't assume that because you get given an xray that your GP wants to see it. I have carried xrasys around needlessly many times. GPs freak out because they are not supposed to use them to make a diagnosis. They rely on a report they were given.

Edited by monsta

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I'm sorry for the silly questions but I'm just a bit confused about a few things.

What is the HAP identity number? I called to make an appointment for our medicals today but was asked for this number to prove an application is being made...but the application will only be made once the medicals have been done...right? Is it perhaps the number that has the first 4 letters of my surname and some numbers?

I've read that you need to do a Hep B test if you have tattoos - is this still necessary? Do they check?!

Is there somewhere I can download the forms required?

Thanks!