Thoughts and prayers in Martin Place, Sydney

DXB2OZ

This morning I was on Elizabeth Street and my bus was diverted off course as sirens blared and unmarked police cars sped by, the orders barked out over the radio: "Martin Place is under siege".

For those not in the loop it appears an Islamist jihadist is holding hostages in the Lindt Cafe. It's estimated there are as many as 20 hostages being held by at least one armed gunman, forcing them to hold a flag with Arabic script, which translated declares "There is no god but Allah; Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah."

I must applaud the police who swiftly managed to evacuate several surrounding buildings, closing off the train station and diverting traffic.

My thoughts and Prayers are with the hostages, their captors, and for the Police and Armed response teams. I pray for a swift, non-violent resolution and also for those of the Islamic faith who will no doubt be under threat and backlash for the acts and actions of these extremists, though I've been encouraged by fellow Sydneysiders banding together in solidarity to speak out against it in light of today's hostage drama.

The ‪#‎illridewithyou‬ hashtag has been trending globally as thousands express that this act of terror is not in keeping with the teachings of the Quran and that Muslims reject the taking of innocent lives and acts of terror that instilling crippling fear. Don't condemn Muslims based on the actions of this one man. Instead, let's be unified in praying for the safety of the hostages, for their protection and for the police and public servants.

What I love about the Aussie way is the solidarity they have and that fellow citizens have banded together to silence the bigots, racists and Islamaphobes.

In contrast after I shared what I have here a South African said if it were them they'd be on the first plane back to South Africa... bigotry in action.

I've seen an read reports coming out of SA and on 702 that are just plain fabrications and unchecked facts, everything from the Airport and air space being closed down (not true, not once has that happened) and that several bombs have been found and placed around the city (again untrue). It makes you realize just how sensational the South African media can be.

Edited by AFreshStart
  • Like 2

Thank you for sharing this information. I love the way you have responded. Praying for the safety of these hostages and for a peaceful resolution of this situation.

Have just watched (in complete shock) how this came to a head live on TV with the cops storming the place with a lot of gunfire and people have clearly been hurt. Terrible that this has happened. Prayers with all involved and hope not to hear too much bad news when I get up in the morning...

z

Edited by zetman

Are any forum members who are in Sydney going to lay flowers at the site of the siege ? Please pm me if you are and can lay flowers on my behalf. I will transfer the costs to your account!

• Like 1