Oz Credit Score

TheMullers

Hey guys.

Just want to find out whether the Oz banks and financial institutions do credit checks based on your South African Credit score or do you start fresh when arriving? We have PR if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Our agent told us our credit record in SA will mean nothing in Oz, but I too would love to hear personal experiences on this subject matter in case this is not 100% true.

I was wondering about insurance too - if they check your claim free period in RSA when determining risk and premiums?

Yep, i have done a car, credit card and now a personal loan through the banks here (Got here 2.5 years ago), they don't check anything from RSA relating to credit record.

Edited by Nev

With regard to your no claim bonus, if you were highly rated, try and get a letter from the insurance company to say that. Some, not all, but some of the Australian insurance companies will accept that and give you the high rating as well.

Just tried to get a business or personal loan and your South African credit history, no matter how sparkly it is, means absolutely nothing here in Aus. :cry:

I have some dealings with this and correct, you start afresh with a credit rating - which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending ! :D

btw: be very dilligent about paying your bills here guys as the slightest default will appear on your CRA and will be on there for a long time to come. Every lending institution has access to your file and, in a lot of cases will decline an application based on a default no matter how small!

Check this website: https://www.getcreditscore.com.au/

It is legit and pretty accurate ...... if you do not have a credit file yet (ie: never applied for a loan) then it more often than not will come up with a 'Very Good' rating