Sydney budget

Mel-B

Hi all. We are confident that we have realistic expectations in Melbourne. There is a chance that there might be an opportunity for us in Sydney. I need to figure out a budget though. Can someone please assist with a Sydney budget for a family of 4? :)

Rent : $700-$900 pw

Food: $200 pw

Electricity/gas $120 per month Internet:$100 per month.

Cell phones :$40 per month each Public transport for hubby : $80 per month? Not sure

Medical (private) $330 per month

School $0 to $2500 per month

Petrol : $100 per month

Ballet, swimming etc : $360 per term ( we only do ballet) per child

Car payment : $200 to $1000 per month

Insurance : $600 per year

Rego $ 1000 per year

• Like 3

Thanks!!!

It's my pleasure, just off the top off my head considering what we pay. At the end of the day it will depend what is "good enough" for you. I strongly suggest you try live as frugally as possible for the first 2 years, after that you can spend more.

One tip I have is to rent a cheap house in a good suburb to be near good state schools. You are not going to want to move again in a few years once you are settled, a move a few suburbs away can upheave you!

Good luck

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi elleneo

I just wanted to ask if you dont mind what suburb are you renting and size of property. Still being in rands it seems ver high.

Also why the big range for school fees?

We are on 176 when we make the move which has to be in the next year about.

Thanks

Rentals in Sydney can be very high, so be prepared to pay.

The huge range in school fees would be from Government to Private!

Thank you Mara

Are rentals high even a bit out the city? Say for instance we dont want a work commute of more than 30 minutes.

Do you recommend an area or 2? I will then search the net to get an idea.

• Like 1

If you want to live in the city and be close to work, expect to pay more.

We live in a 3-bedroom 1930's terrace with a small courtyard and it costs us $1,000 a week in rent.

But my wife walks into the CBD, takes her 15-20 minutes and are zoned for an excellent public school that has accepted our enrollment for next year, that alone is worth the price of admission so to speak.

The rest of our expenses are within those outlined by elleno above.

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Thank you Mara

Are rentals high even a bit out the city? Say for instance we dont want a work commute of more than 30 minutes.

While in other Australians cities a 30 minute commute would get you to places considered outer suburbs (family home for $450/week), Sydney is a large, expensive city by Australian standards and a 30 minute commute on PT would often be considered close and still relatively expensive usually.

Edited by Fish

Hi all,

Found this great website where costs are discussed and compared with other cities in detail, among other things.

http://sydneymovingguide.com/

Thank you for this link - I have found it extremely helpful in so many respects!!

Am so so grateful, thank you.

• Like 1

Hey,

I strongly suggest you try live as frugally as possible for the first 2 years, after that you can spend more.

Its very important for migrants to appreciate what Koshie said on the financial segment a free months back. "Australians are cash poor but asset rich". What he ment is the share market has done very well here, especially before the GFC. Also properties in the right area can increase in value by 20-30% in 2 years. Over 10% of Aussies are millionaires, with the majority of their wealth coming from property investments.

There are even conspiracy theorists who think the wealthy are limiting the amount of new roads and public transport built to make their inner city properties more valuable.

But on the other hand, salaries are decreasing if you factor in inflation. That's why Aussies are "cash poor".

So, the best advice I can give is to do what the locals do...invest, invest, invest! I worked with a graduate who is saving for the down payment on a property he is going to rent out. All his mates are doing simmilar things.

You shouldn't assume that a regular super (ie pension) will cover you comfortably. Especially if you have worked in RSA for the first part of your career.

Thank you Mara

If you want to live in the city and be close to work, expect to pay more.

We live in a 3-bedroom 1930's terrace with a small courtyard and it costs us $1,000 a week in rent.

But my wife walks into the CBD, takes her 15-20 minutes and are zoned for an excellent public school that has accepted our enrollment for next year, that alone is worth the price of admission so to speak.

The rest of our expenses are within those outlined by elleno above.

Cheers

Matt

VanessaT,

If you choose to stay near the city, you're definitely going to pay for it rent-wise. If we could afford rent from $700 upwards I would definitely consider staying closer to the city and having the luxury of being near a train station. Since we don't, we've opted to stay a little bit further out of the city in the Hills District, more specifically Castle Hill. Our rent started at $590 a week 3 years ago and is now sitting at $620 per week. For this, we get 3 bedrooms, 1 full bathroom with en-suite, formal lounge & dining room, TV room, new kitchen and laundry and a granny flat ideal for my 20-something daughter and double garage. We are situated within walking distance to public transport. My daughter works in the CBD and takes the bus to work every day. Takes about an hour for her to get to work. Hubby works in Botany so it's a loooong commute for him, but thankfully he starts very early in the mornings so don't have to put up with too much peak hour traffic. I work in Chatswood and choose to drive to work everyday although I've got the option to take a bus, which I've done on a couple of occasions. We are also looking forward to the new Norwest Rail network being built which will cut down on our commute to and from work.

This is just to give you an idea of our area and the commute you might face should you choose to stay a little bit further out of the city but still in an affordable area.

Glad the Sydneysiders have answered your question. I live in Melbourne, so not that familiar with areas in Sydney.

I live in Baulkham Hills - 4bed 2 bath - $650, Castle Hill is slightly more expensive for something similar - $620 is a good rental for Castle Hill.

I personally don''t like living in the city - pollution/bustle etc, the Hills area has a nice suburban feel with parks and walking trails, lots of good schools as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply but we drove up to Brisbane to spend Christmas with friends.

We rent in Pymble and the commute takes hubby about 35 minutes door to door but that includes his walk to the station.

Our house is modest, double brick with 3 bedrooms ( 1 of which is very small ) and 1 bathroom with a shower over bath. The kitchen is ancient but the rest of the house has been spruced up a bit. No pool, no carport.

We have our daughter I the local catholic school which costs us $350 a month. The high school Im considering is also catholic, all girls and costs about $850 a month.

Depending on your schooling options you can have free state school or pay up to $30k per year for the posh private schools like Knox or Pymble ladies college. The general rule is the farther away from the cbd the more you will get for your money. There are of course exceptions. Cherrybrook and castle hill are popular choices for saffers. We have friends that pay the same rent as us but their house is larger, more modern and they have a pool, BUT he has to walk to a bus stop, bus it to the station and then head into the Cbd , his commute takes him an hour door to door.

So it depends on what your lifestyle preferences are. Personally I'd rather live close to a station in a good suburb but in a smaller, maybe more dilapidated house. We are a small family of 3 so it is easier to score a bargain as we don't need much space.

Hi all,

Found this great website where costs are discussed and compared with other cities in detail, among other things.

http://sydneymovingguide.com/

Dave, this is such a fantastic website - thank you!!

It has been so helpful for so many reasons. I even downloaded their moving guide.

• Like 2