On the home stretch....

HFamily

I woke up at 3:30 am this morning in a flat panic thinking of everything that still has to be done to pack up my house. The movers come in on Thursday to start packing, the container is being loaded on Saturday bound for Perth, and I am nowhere near ready - the lists seem endless. I don't actually know when I last had a decent night's sleep, I keep waking up thinking of things that need to be done. I have done so much sorting and clearing over the last few weeks, and yet I look at my cupboards and think I should be getting rid of more stuff! This has been quite a therapeutic process in that it has made me realise how much we have held onto for the last few years - I have donated and given away so many things and feel a sense of relief from the process, and yet more stuff remains. Will need to spend the last couple of days whittling it all down again. We made the decision to sell a lot of our furniture and to buy new in Aus. We sold our house to a young couple who are starting out with a little baby, and they wanted to buy quite a lot of our furniture. This also helped us in being able to get a smaller container and keep relocation costs down. For us, it has been a good thing as I don't have any 'precious' or expensive furniture that we are heartbroken to leave behind. My brother has also scored big time out of the deal, as he has inherited quite a few pieces.

My beloved pooch is being collected on Thursday to be flown up to Keringa, and it is breaking my heart thinking about that. I look at his little face, so trusting and loving, and think he has no idea what is in store for him. All feeling a little overwhelming right now! I took my son back to boarding school on Monday morning, and it was quite sad seeing him say goodbye to Max (my dog) knowing that he will only see him again in February. Sadly I mixed up the dates for Max's rabies injections, and thought that his departure date from South Africa was determined by the date he had the injection, not the date of the blood draw. Hence, he now has to stay here for an extra month - was so mad at myself, but in hindsight it is probably a blessing as it will allow us time to secure a dog-friendly rental and to get settled before he arrives. He will be a well-travelled pooch by the time he arrives in Perth.

So, our house is being packed up this weekend, then my son and I move in with some very good friends who offered us their granny cottage for the month. My husband flies out from Perth to join us from the 19th December, so we can all spend Christmas and New Year with friends and family, and to say our final goodbyes. We then fly out on the 2nd January. We have been apart since the 9th September, and it has definitely been a challenge. He has found life in Australia a little challenging, especially with having to do his own housework, wash, iron, cook etc, as well as dealing with the stresses and demands of a new job in a new country.

In the meantime, the sorting and the packing continues, and I am sure more sleepless nights until the container is packed and gone.

Edited by HFamily
  • Like 1

So close. It's hard when you are separated, each fighting battles alone. But you are almost there, just keep plodding on, one step at a time. It won't be long before this time is nothing more than a war story for the dinner table.

• Like 1

It all sounds so very familiar HFamily. We're going through the same... I'm flying out this weekend leaving my wife and kids here till end January or maybe even later. At least we can all share our feelings and fears and happiness here. Keep the Faith. And we wish you the best until you land in the new world!

• Like 1

Sitting here amidst the chaos of my house right now, waiting for the movers to arrive to start packing! Feeling heartbroken at the moment as have just said goodbye to my beloved fur baby who is off to Keringa for a 2 month stay. Didn't realise he would be so protective of me either, as he tried to bite the lovely lady from the pet transport when she tried to take him out of my arms. She took it all in her stride thankfully!

I can't believe we are at this point already, I feel like there is so much more that needs to be done, but I think I need to stop now and just let the movers do their thing. I can't believe how much paperwork we have accumulated. I have sorted, thrown out and resorted, and yet still have too much. I think I will give my husband the wonderful task of doing the final sort once we are settled. Just going to put it all in a box and close the lid!!!

Wow, really wasn't expecting to feel so emotional, I have been quite detached from this whole process until now and have been operating on auto pilot I think. I can't wait for the next 3 days to be over so that I can just relax and reflect on what has been and what is to come.

Thinking of you... take a deep breath... and another... you will get through this... it just takes another breath and lots of stamina :whome:

• Like 1

I was so unprepared for how emotional the whole packing up and handing over of the house was. I think I have cried more in the last couple of days than I have in ages.

Started on Thursday with my little baby being collected to go to Keringa, then the emotional rollercoaster of watching all your wordly possessions being packed up and loaded into a container. Worst for me was handing over the house keys to the new owners yesterday, found that incredibly sad. We have been in our house for 10 years and it's the only house my son has a memory of. Lots of good memories! Anyway, am now officially homeless, and have moved into the granny cottage of good friends until we leave. Am now living out of suitcases, but know I still have to get rid of things that I thought I would need in this last month. Countdowns have now officially started - my hubby comes back to SA on the 19th and we officially leave on the 2nd. Feeling excited, nervous, apprehensive and terrified all at the same time. My hubby keeps telling me how hard he is finding it over there, and I am hoping that it will improve for him once we are all reunited.

It can be incredibly hard to be separated at this time, you are each experiencing different emotions and neither of you are physically present to share each others highs and lows!

It will definitely be better for you both when you are back together and experiencing these feelings at the same time.

Enjoy your last days in RSA and look forward to starting your new life in Australia!

Also remember, there are going to be many days where you wonder "what have we done?", once again, just take a deep breath, and carry on.

They say it takes about two years or more for some people to settle, for others, they are settled when they put their feet on Australian soil for the first time!

• Like 1

HFamily - Looking forward to hearing from you once you've landed and taken a breath! You will not be disappointed :-)

• Like 1