Dietitian registration in Aus

RosemaryC

So we finally have our visa approved. I am currently practicing as a dietitian in SA and would like to know about the process to get registered in Aus. Has anybody had to do it?

Hey RosemaryC, sorry can't help with the registration. Just wanted to say congrats o thw visa grant. Awesome news. :ilikeit:

Hi fellow dietitian,

I recently completed my recognition of qualifications, and am now a member of the Dietitians Association of Australia.

The whole process is quite involved. As described on the DAA website you will need to apply to to be eligible to sit for the written exam, and then you will apply to do the written exam, once you have passed you will be eligible to sit for the oral in Australia. Not sure of the exact dates, but the written exam is done around March and then again in September, and the orals are in April and October. There is a lot of paper work to get together and have certified. You will need to get your transcripts, with explanation of courses. If you studied at Tuks you can get the transcripts through MIE. Just check the cut off dates for everything.

Hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

Our visas were approved at the beginning of October 2014, and we are hoping to move across once either my husband or I have found employment.

Hi DanMikandAlex

Congratulations! Ya the process seems really hectic. I did study at Tuks and got my full academic records from them. I finished 2 years ago but have been working in state, so the conditions we see are not really Australian problems. I just hope I remember all the theory.

How were the written and oral exams? Did you have to do a lot of studying for them?

Hey,

Thanks.

Once you have applied to write, they give you access to a lot of resources and the option of using a mentor. I did a lot of reading in preparation. The exam covers all aspects of dietetics, community and food service included.

Just get started and go from there. Most employers require you to be a member of DAA and have APD status.

Everyone at the DAA is really helpful.

Where are you guys hoping to relocate to?

Ok thanks. That is great to know that there is support and resources!

We want to relocate to Victoria. We have Ballarat in mind. It is a smaller town just an hour from Melbourne.

And what about you guys?

We have skilled nomination visas from South Australia, so we need to go there.

We we in Adelaide in October. It is awesome, like a mixture of PE, Grahamstown and Cape Town.

Hey,

Yes and no. There is a demand depending in which state you are, but the more "metropolitan" states also have more graduates as many of their universities offer dietetics in one form or another. From the job hunting I've done, I've seen a lot of stuff advertised for Victoria and New South Wales. My suggestion is that you don't limit yourself to one state if you don't have to and go where the work is.

There is a lot of focus on geriatric care, and having aged care experience.

Ok thanks that is great to know. Ya I also saw that there are more jobs in those areas. So I am hopeful. I just wonder how many graduates there are, that are also going for those jobs. ;)