Crossing over....

Crossedover

I am not really ready to write the next sentence ....

SIX weeks on Saturday and we say goodbye to all we have known as home to fly to distant shores... AND "Oh my " is and understatement!

They start packing the container in 2 weeks time today, and I have 2 hectic weeks to tie up my school too! AND 2 weeks to make my home a happy place for the new owner.

As I sit typing here, I am blessed to have 5 people working... 2 people cleaning the lounge suits, one ironing, one baking and one cleaning fans and doors. I thought I might as well use the gift of labour whilst I can afford to. We are really fortunate to have people willing and happy to work for R200 per day. With all the benifits of moving and chucking!

(An aside just been notified of an attempted hijacking on Umhlanga Rocks Drive, after a shoot out and hijacking outside 3 schools on Northway yesterday... I am so tired of it all now, my heart breaks for those we leave behind.)

Maybe it was a well timed notification to keep me focused....

We have 10 days to pack our suitcases.... In there we need to have everything we are going to need for the next two months. All our necessary paper work, clothes for a wedding.... Clothes for potential interviews... Basics for back to school .... And clothes and essential creature comforts to make the move possible for my 3 girls AND as much as our weight allowance will allow in terms of essentials to save us spending Rands on arrival.

Does anybody have any hits of what has to be in those cases.... A friend of mine put her children's immunization cards in her container... This was a hurdle in applying to get her kids into schools.

I can't believe this steady process of getting to the leaving date has reached a sprint. I am sure I can do it, it's just going to be frenetic ..... And my daughter still has 3 more days of exams to write!

Maybe I should be panicking in a productive way in stead of typing away....

43 days and counting....

• Like 5

Oh my.......this is almost what I'm doing! Container being packed 4/5 December, getting ready for the last time I have Gr. 4's writing exams, less than 4 weeks of school left. I'm avoiding our local Spar -can't get out in less than an hour ( the blessing of living in a super small town). Doing everything for the last time.... emotions are really raw, I thought it would be much easier, and we still have 2 more weeks after that with family in Centurion. Great to know I'm not alone....

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL. I really agree that the goodbyes are the hardest part!

(Edit) We are taking all our formal documentations on the plane -not even suitcase, in our carry-on. That's copies of resumes, kids final report cards and immunisation cards, original and copies of PCC ect. anything immigration related, original certificates ect. Everything was scanned and saved on memory sticks as well. Luckily we are arriving in summer - our suitcases can have more clothes and not be filled with jackets, boots ect. Just take one warm thing.

Edited by miran
  • Like 1

Hey crossingover. I leave in 10 days, and have been living out my suitcase for a week now. I also made copies of all important docs and taking them in my hand luggage.

Don't let your passports end up in the container . I actually put all my "not for container" stuff in the locked bathroom Whilst the movers were here.

What I did forget to keep out was my travel pillow

Best of luck with the hectic two weeks - I'm afraid it just speeds up from here.... It felt like the other day I had six weeks to go, and now I'm down to 10 days!!

• Like 2

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,

Old time is still a-flying,

And this same flower that smiles today,

Tomorrow will be dying.

The glorious lamp of Heaven, the Sun,

The higher he's a-getting,

The sooner will his race be run,

And nearer he's to setting.

• Like 1

Good luck with those last arrangements and especially for all those sad goodbyes!

Sent the kids to granny and grandpas so we could secretly pack... An incredible plus that we are going to miss madly. Its RATHER difficult to secretly pack when you have 12 days till they PACK the container!

My husband even packed his first box!!

But my daughter only has 2 more days of exams then we will pretend no more!!

Despite the removal folk being paid to pack us up, i find that by packing i am able to sort out what i want to come with and what i need to chuck. ( not sure why my "i's" are no longer auto correcting to "I"'s :( )

I am still trying to think up a plan of how to get a couple of bottles of bovril across without being deceitful! Not sure that is possible.

Walking around Gateway last night I could not help buying a few more things for good measure.... Best I stay away from the shops.

Every person that visits leaves with a handful of stuff.... Still we are not clearing out at the pace we should be! Oh my oh my!

Best i stop posting and get sorting.... :)

• Like 2

Take the sealed Bovril...just declare it!

I have stocked on my favourite bath products, who knows when I will be able to afford them next? Also, I bought spices etc to pack in the container. I really hope they won't have a problem with them.

How funny are we all... Hoarding goods... I do have to keep reminding myself we are going to a first world country and chances are hey have most things...!! Whenever someone goes to visit my brother in law, we always ask what we can bring him and he always looks at us funny ( on Skype ) and says nothing!! Home baked goods but that is cos he is a single guy!

None the less I have a stash of essentials to help us not spend AUS$ unnecessarily when we arrive. I also think it's kind on our kids to transition into new things gradually instead of being launched into everything new.... Or maybe I am doing it for my own benefit.

As the trend would have it I have come down with a nasty cold (I think) ... As I read more posts it seems the stress gets to our bodies even if we think we are coping marvelously! So 10 days till the container takes it all away and I am home sick... First day off school for last 7 1/2 years....and I did not even pack one tiny box!!

So I have started pumping the family with vita C to prevent any further stress a related vulnerabilities. As you approach 6 weeks I advise it for you too.... The doctor that I am (not)!

Every corner of my house is screaming for time and attention... Not to mention the household inhabitants too. It is actually a huge mind...., can't say it, a huge scary wake up call.... What are we doing??

Fortunately despite knowing it's going to be jolly hard I know it's the right thing to be doing.

• Like 1

Oh, sorry to hear you've picked up a nasty cold!!! Definitely dose up on vit c and other immune boosters - kick its proverbial butt, so you can use that time to get to those things you need to. Take care!

6 days till they pack our container.....

My house if finally beginning to look like that could be possible... All I can say is I hope a 40" container is jolly big, I have a poor sense of volume but I am finding it hard to believe that my family of 5's furniture and stuff will fit in a box!

I spent a fun Friday night sorting out my daughters clothes... The cousins are definitely scoring.... The needy too!

So this is where we are at....

I still have the monster task of those 10 suitcases to accompany us....The ones that have to hold all the magic for the next 2 months. A really daunting task... One I have not yet started!!!! 4 days to do it!!!

We have sent all the curtains to be washed and ironed so our children have sheets hanging in their windows.... Now I have to laugh at this image as it's not something I could ever have imagined doing!

We have also to decide (guess or research) how long fridges need to be left open before they can be packed ....

Wondering if we really have to secure the washing machine drum before it hits the rolling seas?

Wondering what to do about our aging dishwasher.... It seems like a shame to just leave it behind??

Doctors done, dentist done for the family, optometrist done for husband and I....

I think my spinning top has reached the wobbling stage...

Best I leave all my forum friends for a while, make a cup of tea and head for another scary area of my home.

XxxxX

• Like 3

Wow Crossingover, sounds like you've done so much! You should take stock and be proud of it!

Don't be tempted to pack too much, "just in case" into those suitcases for the next 2 months. I've been living out my suitcase now for 2 weeks, and I could have scaled down a bit. My laptop and documents alone weigh 7kgs!!

And yes, always good to take breaks, have a good cup of tea and remember why you're doing this . Good luck for next few days!

Oh, and about the appliances.... I opted not to take any and buy new there. Gave me less container space to pay for, and the appliances were just the basics anyway. Also meant I didn't have to defrost, clean, package etc. Other forumites have taken their appliances and were glad they did.

Edited by CandiceW
  • Like 1

Re curtains: all houses in Oz are rented and sold with curtains / blinds (unless you build your own house) so no need to bring those.

Re washing machine: yes you will have to secure the drum

Re 10 suitcases: make sure you borrow a scale and check the weights. The case alone can weigh a few kilos.

Re fridge: Give yourself about three days - 1 to defrost, then dry out with towels and leave open for 2 days should do the job. Hope it's warm weather. If all else fails put a fan in front of it to "blow dry".

Ah thanks 'guys' for the advice....

I did not manage to be too productive today! Yikes one more day down.... ( I wish I knew how to make a face with eyes popping out!) 3 days till they arrive to pack my house!!

My kids are doing so well but my 8 year old, who loves being with friends, is sticking close to home. I really do wish I could make it easier for them. I am making the whole move seem like a normal part of our lives... Last night they all said they were scared, it broke my heart but I told them it was "ok to be scared!"

Well tomorrow is another day... Hope it's a prodcuctive day!

You'll be all right!.. Looks like you have it all under control. Enjoy and best of luck to you and the family!

Oh my!!! Sunday was a hugely productive day thanks to my very special friend who saw I was going nowhere! It was a hard day physically and emotionally. The first taste of what we really are doing!

Tick tock.... Monday and Tuesday disappeared unproductively really only to wake up today knowing that Cargo Pack was heading to pack us up.... "Oh no!" Well I just had to let it go and let them get on with their job? A friendly, efficient team arrived and have done an amazing job of getting through all our stuff. Ok ok, there are a few boxes that are going to scare me on arriving on the other side. BUT I must say I am so relieved for them to just have packed things as things were as it has taken the pressure off me to

It's a MEGA stressful thing to do!! We are so shattered.... Will be waking up at 4 to put in some effort in our last 2 disorganized bedrooms. Roll on Friday.... A big day.... I close my school, wave good bye to my container of stuff.

• Like 2

Know how you are feeling, Biddulphs comes in today to pack up our life. I know I have already got rid of so much stuff, but I look at what's here and think I should have done more. Wishing you all the best for your move and hope it all goes smoothly

• Like 1

Hi all of you dear people who are packing up your lives - this seems like a huge, impossible-to-complete mission and the emotions does not help one bit to make the task seem managable. May I give you a little bit hindsight from down under, as we've seen things three weeks ago and how we see things now, having been here now two weeks. Nothing is that serious. Really. I do fully agree with bringing some absolute favorite foodstuffs, or unique kind of things you don't know if you'll find it here. But yes, THIS IS A FIRST WORLD COUNTRY !! I find shopping for what I want here much easier than in South Africa, even though our family eats a bit different. Between Aldi and Woolworths I currently find most of what I sometimes struggled to find in South Africa. Almost everything you want, you can find on the web. Just search for example the product you want, with the town / area you're in, on Google and you will most probably find it. I wanted flax seed. I just 'Googled': flax seed Bundaberg and voila, I found Nana's Pantry. You can do that even from South Africa, the web is a global village on it's own. Then you know what you can leave and what to pack.

Pack your clothes to only suit the season you're arriving in. Each area's winter is different and chances are that your South African winter clothes might be completely unsuitable for where you're going to. We tried to do that, 'only' brought our favorite jackets and still we already put away one big bag full of clothing that we might not use ever again ! I think the principle is that we tend to pack out of fear. Fear of not having something when we need it. I think it is sensible to cater for the first three months or so. After that, you'll know where to buy what, your clothing needs tend to adapt to the area you're settling in, etc.

Things only seem expensive while you're not yet earning dollars. Yet, there are 'verge days', where lots of people put out on the verges, perfectly neat stuff that they plainly don't use anymore. It is no humiliating thing to pick up stuff from someone's front yard here. It is a common community thing that everybody does. If you spend some time on the streets on those days, you'll be able to furnish your new home with some pretty neat useful stuff. I'm sitting here overlooking my brother's backyard, where he has put a picnic table - those wooden ones you pay a few thousand Rands for, which he picked up from a verge. Perfect condition. No worries mate.

Nothing wrong with bringing your favorite coach, inherited stuff etc., but I do think that it is worth it to cull severely on 'stuff' - especially things that are non essential to living (excluding childrens' familiar bedding and toys).

Only my 2c worth of experience.

• Like 3

We'll the week of chaos and mad scurrying is over! I am so grateful ! It was a VERY stressful week. Our house is done and dusted and basically has been handed over to the new owners. My in laws home however looks like a bomb has hit it! My husband 'insists' we sort everything out today.... How boring! So my school is closed my house is packed.... Still have reports to do...Uuk!! But essentially we have 3 and a half weeks to enjoy our special friends, family and favorite places.

Thanks for all the support... To fellow packers... Wow it's a crazy time.... But I did feel a sense of peace and relief as our container pulled away.....

I don't doubt the decision we have made... I am ready to face the new challenges of a new city... Well I think I am. I have no doubt it will be EXTREAMLY hard but hopefully we can make it work.

Love to you all xxxx off to see if I can tackle some of my mess upstairs :(

Yippy .. I learnt to edit!! How doff I have been!!

Edited by Crossingover
  • Like 4

Crossingover, not doff, just challenged... Hehe!

Believe me, I have been here for yonks, and I still have stuff on the forum that challenge me, especially forum members that don't want to play nice :whome:

• Like 1

Crossingover, not doff, just challenged... Hehe!

Believe me, I have been here for yonks, and I still have stuff on the forum that challenge me, especially forum members that don't want to play nice :whome:

Oh Mara, sometimes the debate that sparks is quite interesting and you learn a lot about people in the process. I don't mind someone challenging the Australian way (although I will agree it can get really boring if they won't actually have a sensible discussion) and I enjoy a sensible debate. I don't like name calling though. I like the way Whirlpool manage their debates (where sometimes it seems to get quite demented).

Ok I am less than 4 weeks to lift off... Today was my first day home less, job less and despite not having to work this am things are still chaotic... Even my 8 year old prayed for less chaos at dinner... Poor sausage! Basically we have realized until we secure a rental on the other side we are pretty much home hoping.... Home hoping for 2 months.... Not something my husband is good at. The kids think it's great having sleep overs on school nights, I guess if it lifts their moods we should be grateful for the distraction.

I on the other hand keep finding things that should have gone in the container and keep finding missing items I wish were not in the container.... A word of advise to those of you yet to pack ... Don't underestimate how fast they pack up your stuff, it all happens quicker than you can supervise...so securely lock away all the stuff to go with on the aeroplane, we locked it in a bathroom, and anything else will find itself wrapped up a box before you know it.

On that note Cargo pack were fantastic... A efficient and pleasant team did a great job with our stuff!

• Like 1

We are definitely in the "eye of the storm".... Not that it is absolutely calm but I do sense that thinks are quieting down before the build up to the final good bye.

Today we had my daughters Grade 7 final assembly... What a beautiful occasion.... Dry eyed and proud I was of all her achievements UNTIL it came time to sing the national anthem.... Today the anniversary of Mandela's death... Well that set the tears in motion!

We have been truly blessed by the community in which we live and for the fantastic government schools my kids have been to! Honestly an pocket of school heaven!

I truly pray that we are able to find schools as welcoming and amazing.

PS we fitted into our container with space to spare..... Ok it was 40 foot but I really did not think we would!

• Like 1