Inexpensive accomadation in Sydney,Melbourne and Perth

KirstyS

We are going on our activation trip in June/July 2015 and I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas of where to stay that isn't going to break the bank?

For how many people?

There are 5 of us. Two teenagers, a 3 year old and myself and hubby.

Then I would suggest you look at http://stayz.com.au

You should be able to find furnished accommodation of all sizes there for a family.

Perhaps also google for caravan parks, most of the big cities have them and they all have cabins for rent.

• Like 1

Yeah I was looking for caravan parks as well Just was hoping I could get recommendations of which ones to avoid or which ones are value for money etc.

Be aware that you are traveling in winter. If staying in a cabin ensure that it has heating.

Yeah thanks. Unfortunately we have no option but to travel over that time ?

We used Eltham gateway in Melbourne - was R10 000 for 10 days for 4 people.

Edited by Mel-B

KirstyS, try the following link for the Big4 Caravan and Camping Sites, they have cabins and are regarded as top of the range in Australia. We have never stayed there, but I was told this by acquaintances that have stayed there: http://www.big4.com.au/

Hope this helps.

KirstyS, we will be staying in Sydney for 3 weeks in a furnished house in Linndfield. Its a proper house and is ±17km north of the City. All for ±R12,000!!! Where else can you get a deal like that!!!

• 1 month later...

Best tip I can offer is to bring thermals, gloves, beanie hats and scarves. Then the heating won't be quite such an issue. Melbourne in winter is cold!!!

Random post: I heard yesterday from a friend that her flat in Hunters Hill, Sydney (larney, with fireworks views), will be empty from 21 Dec till 17 Jan. They are looking to sublet for that time. PM me if anyone is looking.

The price is usually determined by where it is. A place in the CBD will cost easy more than somewhere out in the suburbs. Most tourists will pay extra to avoid a long trip back to their hotel.

I can't stress this enough. Use Google maps! Ask google to tell you how long it would take you to get back to your apartment at 10pm or how long it would be to the CBD at 8am. If you are driving, google only has live traffic. So you have to ask it while the bad traffic is happening. The heavy traffic in Sydney can triple you travel time. So its worth waking up at 5:30pm Sydney time and asking google how long it is from the CBD to your apartment.

Equally, the public transport can be almost nonexistent on Sundays, early in the morning or late at night. If you go anywhere be aware of what time you need to leave buy in order to get home. Walking 4km with kids at 11pm isn't nice anywhere, even in Aussie. But thats what could happen if you miss the last bus.. Or don't realise that on weekends the last bus is 8pm not 10pm. A mate of mine took a taxi home after his work Christmas party last week...it cost him $60.

Just be aware that a holiday place is usually cheap because of limited transport options..

Cheers

Edited by monsta

If your Perth stint falls during the July holidays, try Perth Bible College. It's in a very convenient spot, and they do rent out furnished units at a reasonable price when the students aren't there.

• 2 months later...

KirstyS, we will be staying in Sydney for 3 weeks in a furnished house in Linndfield. Its a proper house and is ±17km north of the City. All for ±R12,000!!! Where else can you get a deal like that!!!

TheMullers, can you tell me how you found that one? I am still looking...

• 2 weeks later...

We went Jun/Jul last year and mostly used airbnb which was fantastic with young children because it is like being "home" and often includes toys, tv, movies, basic foods etc. We did a week in Melbourne and Sydney both very central so used public transport to explore the cities, but then we also did a week in Sydney in the area we thought we may want to move to (Hills) where we rented a car to explore for that week. It worked out very well and saved us on car hire but the week in "suburbia" with the car was very helpful for figuring out groceries, commute etc. We did not go to Perth so I cannot comment on accommodation there. Melbourne was freezing and windy but we found Sydney quite pleasant and mild.