Taking new things across in the container....?

Crossedover

Well 3 weeks left of kids school exams and then one further week and they pack up our house... Oh my... Oh my!

Ok I know that if you are bring appliances over they need to be older than one year.... What about beds, weber braais and lounge suits?

We are bringing an unused deep freeze that is 6 months old.... What are the consequences if they are unhappy with this? Anyone have experience with such a situation?

Thanks all you landed folk!

It's not limited to appliances but ANY product that is under a year old. You have a discretionary allowance, which if I I recall correctly is $3,000, so you just declare the value of the items and list them, anything over and above this you will be liable for import duties, the same as you would be in South Africa. The duties will depend on the HS code and the allocated tariff to it.

Cheers

Matt

Sorry you do not get an allowance in yoir container. We had a new wadhing machine and coffee machine. We declared them as new and got a bill of 10% tax on the amount we declared them for. Had to pay before items left customs. We knew this and even with the added 10% it was still worth it!!

Ps. We did have a few other smaller stuff under a year. Nobody would have known that:)

We brought some stuff over that was under a year old - some like the TV in its huge original box. Did not declare it and had no issues.

They inspect the "high risk" items - bicycles were checked and a box that was labelled "large fruit bowl" was opened.

From what I have read I believe they are focusing on plant or animal matter that could contaminate the environment here, rather than checking who is bringing a new washing machine along.

Obviously if you are bring and entire container of new items in their original sealed boxes you will raise some eyebrows.

PS - this is not legal advise. :whome:

Just take note that if you decide not to declare new items and are caught out you can get into big trouble with the law. They can sonetimes see the manufacturing date of the item by looking at the cerial nr. Do the right thing!

that is whar they expect from you when coming over and living in Aus

• Like 1

We don't have too much that is new.... And 10% on 3 items is unlikely to hurt us too much! But thanks for the advise x

Oh boy...... we were advised by our container company that we should take the new washing machine out of the original packaging and use it at least once.... didn't think about serial numbers..........

Sorry you do not get an allowance in yoir container. We had a new wadhing machine and coffee machine. We declared them as new and got a bill of 10% tax on the amount we declared them for. Had to pay before items left customs. We knew this and even with the added 10% it was still worth it!!

Ps. We did have a few other smaller stuff under a year. Nobody would have known that:)

Hi Renny,

Hmmm, we did, but I think it must be linked to our relocation, which was paid for by my wife's company. They asked us to fill out a list of new goods up to the value of $2,000. Either way, even if we do pay as you shared the savings, at least in the things that are new like beds, end up FAR exceeding the import duties. And I'm with you, just declare what is new, be honest, pay to Caesar what is Caesar and live your life.

Cheers

Matt

pay to Caesar what is Caesar

This does seem to be the Australian way - But I`ve not been here long enough to have adapted. :whome:

Hehe. Our washing machine was R3000 and coffee machine R6000. The same coffee machine over here is $1200 so it was a bargain. No allowance for us? guess it had to do with your company shipping it, Matt.

We also brought over 12 bottels of wine and knew the tax was 50% on them. Still worth it!!!! One of my fav is Nitida sav blanc at R80 ( R120 tax incl). Still cannot get anything close to the quality for under $15.