And so the fun begins...

MartinK2409

Hi everyone!

So my wife and I have decided to take the plunge and by God's grace I have secured a position within the Sydney office of the company I work for over here and they actually handle the visa process! It is a 457, but we intend to apply for 186 (PR) right after we arrive (direct stream). (I am an Accountant and I understand there are rumours that Australia is fed up with all the CA(SA)s around, so will have to get a move on this asap after we arrive.)

Thank you for all the insight and we are very happy we found this website.

I am yet to start browsing the "where to live" sections of this site (hope there is something like this) - but we are looking at getting a newer / modern apartment not to far from the city. Zetland and Rhodes look good (but I understand Zetland is a bit industrial still?). I will be working in the CBD so transport links are essential - had to laugh when I found out that Sydney has eTolls!!

If anyone has any insight on the above (or any other) areas, I would appreciate it.

We hope to arrive by mid January. My employer will put us up in accommodation for about two weeks whilst we found our own place. First work day is 2 Feb.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Hi Martin,

Congrats on securing a job!

RE areas, Zetland is up and coming, loads of new developments and apartments, the area historically was industrial, Rhodes is still more industrial, large factories and Ikea etc.

We were/are in a similar situation and settled on the vibe and creativity of Surry Hills and proximity to the CBD, my wife can walk to here office in 15 minutes from our rental. Redfern & Darlinghurst are also nice and close to the city.

I'll be arriving in a week so look forward to getting to know the inner city even better.

Cheers

Matt

Edited by AFreshStart

Hi Matt!

Thanks for the insight! We also like the fact that Surry Hills seems close to the CBD (congrats again on the awesome house story by the way!!). We are looking forward to discovering the place which has been prepared for us :) I don't mind traveling on a train to work (preferably over a bus) - at least I will be able to read / work and not sit behind a wheel in traffic! That's why we thought Rhodes could also perhaps work - looks like Century City by the water actually. My company has arranged accommodation in a hotel / serviced apartment for two weeks whilst we secure a place, but we are mindful that we may need to have family friends of ours (in Chatswood) actually do the physical viewing a place even before we arrive, as I understand the rental market is quite fierce...

We are going for medicals tomorrow and once visa is granted is booking of flights / move / TFNs / bank accounts.

Good luck with the last arrangements this side and the flight with the little ones!