Leave before Ebola comes!

Eyebrow

http://www.bdlive.co.za/Feeds/BusinessDay/2014/10/28/australia-issues-blanket-ban-on-ebola-hit-west-african-countries?cx_tag=bcuf#cxrecs_s

Immigration from countries in Africa with Ebola has been suspended.

Just imagine having jumped though all the hoops to get a visa, and then with RSA's porous borders, people with Ebola enters and the first cases start appearing. What then?

If you have a visa, you can do the quarantine, but if you dont yet have one...

(I can just imagine my kids in quarantine!! :ph34r: )

I have had 2 people here in Aus already ask me whether I came from an Ebola country :blink:

And I keep thinking, "No, that is in Africa!" Forgetting that South Africa is pretty much slap bang in Africa, duh!

Somehow in my mind RSA and Africa are 2 completely different places.

Just goes to show how you can plan, and then a natural disaster like Ebola, makes it all for nothing!

• Like 2

Won't lie the Ebola issue has been weighing heavily on my shoulders, as you say imagine getting almost to the end of the VISA application process and then being stuck because you are an Ebola risk.

Come on VISA get approved already!

That is scary. I also have this impression in my mind that South Africa is separate from the African Continent and then get reminded it isn't when an Aussie asks so where you from in Africa? And wants to know if it's any where near Nigeria or Tanzania. :P

• Like 1

The worst I've had is when a chap at work asked me if I left because of the "whole blood diamond thing" - I waited a beat or two to see if he was joking, but no, he was deadly serious so I just said, yip, because of the blood diamond thing - I was, at that stage, so tired of going into the whole spiel of the real reasons and then they just look at you like you're crazy anyway.

Can just imagine the reactions this Ebola thing is going to produce!

• Like 1

Wow.

This has some serious potential to derail PR people. SA is already a high risk country, I hope Ebola does not block anyone!

Yes, this has been weighing heavily on my mind as well.

There is no doubt the Australian authorities will be very cautious about passengers coming out of Africa, no matter where the port of disembarkation. I expect them to issue a blanket ban on all flights out of West Africa, but that will not stop people from those countries using other airlines, stop-overs etc. to circumvent this.

I don't think they will actually stop all "Africans" from entering the country, but we are anticipating either the need for an additional medical just prior to departure, or a period of house quarantine on arrival.

Wow, I really hope that any forumites who's visa's are still not yet issued, won't get stuck in Africa !! May Ebola still be a while before coming down ...

• Like 2

Shew the only nerves I have is getting rid of all these small items no one is interested in to buy ! It's Hubby's last day at work, then we can grab this bull by the horns and work through it all - I guess some stuff would go for charity. Friends can absorb only so much of your old stuff, he he.

• Like 2