medical insurance 457

ccsn

I am on a British passport so can apply for medicare when i am in Australia. My children and husband will only receive their British passports when we are in Australia so we will need medical insurance for our visa requirements. Can anyone suggest any budget health insurance we can use?

I am on 457 and went to Medicare because I have British passport.

But was told I cant apply for Medicare, unless I am applying for PR (which I cant for 2 years)

If you have a 8501 as a visa condition, apparently you cant have it... So you must have insurance.

We are on BUPA essential visitor cover, which is the cheapest I could find. $300/m for family of 5. But it not very good.

Thanks for the info, things seem to be costing more and more as we go along. Are you a permanent resident in the UK or are you a British Citizen. According to this link British Citizens do qualify for medicare unless the information is misleading??

https://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-health-insurance-faq-visa-holder.htm

I am not sure now.

I have a British passport and a 457.

Had to arrange insurance for the application.

When I got here I went to Medicare offices in person with visa and passport. I was denied registration for Medicare.

i asked about the reciprocal agreement, but she said I dont qualify because I lived in South Africa too long so have not been paying National Health and therefore the reciprocal agreement didnt kick in until I apply for PR.

And that is that.

And the reciprocal agreement only give access to essential services that cant wait until you go back to the UK. So it is only essential and partial cover, not allowing any allied medical services like OT or speech.

But I really had thought before I came, that I would have access to Medicare....

I guess this makes sense. Have you just arrived in Melbourne? we are due to arrive in December. Sure we will get a few surprises too :) Do you have a NI Number? I cant find my card. It was 8yrs ago that i was in the UK and was working there for 7yrs prior