How have you changed

KarinWise

Hi there all,

Upon reflection of the re-location journey you experienced, how would you say you have changed?

Not just your habits, or maybe your shopping addiction or your dependence on the hired help.

How have you fundamentally changed on the inside?

No-one comes through this journey unscathed or changed. ( for good and bad)

Not only have you changed, but how has it affected your relationship?

Is it better or worse? Or did it not survive?

I know I am asking for a lot of honesty here, but the fundamental changes everyone goes through are quite phenomenal.

I know for myself, I do not even recognize the person I am today from two years ago.

In a good and bad way. I have developed an unnatural fear of snakes. My relationship with my better half has become far more peaceful. I am a sadder and happier person all at the same time.I have more patience and less compassion.

I never knew what depression was, but boy, I know now.

I know myself better now than ever before- again some of that knowledge is good, the rest I would rather not have known.

I would love to hear some of your stories-just to make sure I am not really crazy.

• Like 3

I don't know that I have really changed in any way. I am who I am and who I have always been. I guess we were fortunate in that we never really battled. Also having moved countries so many times, it was almost the same as just moving house.

I have to admit that I did go through a period of depression and sometimes it does still bother me, but that is health related, not relationship or mentally related.

What does sometimes still get to me is the missing of good friends, not that I do not have good friends here, but it is not quite the same as those lifelong friends!

Of course, we both battled initially with stress, but that was work related, getting used to new rules and laws and that whilst holding down management positions, but once we became familiar with how things were done, it became easy again.

Of course, since retiring last year, the most stressful thing in my life is to ensure that the kiddies on the forum, play nice!!!

• Like 6

Yeah,

I get regular klaps from young Mara upside my cranium! :jester:

Im the same, not fundamentally altered, but will say this:

Snakes, used to be fine with them, but not anymore, damn dugites all over the place! Dont get me started on spiders...

I am WAY more laid back and less aggro than I was in SA

I like being hired for work on the basis of my talents and not skin colour or some dodgy quota

I like the generally helpful nature that prevails here

Adapting to the way things are done took a bit of time, but Im pretty well grooved now.

Still miss family and mates, but it is receding bit by bit as I build up mates here.

• Like 3

KarinWise, I have always been a pampered girl living under a rock in her own world. I ignored the negativity of SA and lived my life in my happy comfort zone. I thought if I just continued working hard and giving my all that I'd be fine. Immigration was never on my mind. Then some events happened to me and my family ( :ph34r::angry: )and I realised I was not immune. I also realised there is a world of opportunity out there to develop myself - all I have to do is make the effort to go.

I would say I've changed by being curious about the rest of the world. I got a big wake up call, and leaving SA shouldn't be based on crime. Crime opened my eyes and got me out of my comfort zone - it was the analyst that started something good and is changing me into a better person. The visa process didn't start off well for us, but we now have PR and are waiting to take our flights to Aus soon.

I'd say my hubby has become more stressed - I haven't known him to be a person who doesn't sleep. And I have become more relaxed and am now sleeping so well! :)

But wait until we get to Aus, then I'm sure it will be a different story!

Summary:

Me: more relaxed, more curious, more go-with-the-flow, have faith in God, good sleeper (previously: stressed, control freak, not good sleeper, little faith in God)

Husband: stressed, not sleeping, little faith in God, trying to control everything (previously: relaxed, good sleeper, faith in God, go-with-the-flow).

lol :)

• Like 3

I think there are lots of little ways I have changed, probably some for the good and maybe some not so, but all in all I think I am probably a better version of myself now.

• Like 1