IELTS Test for partner needed?

LSRoxy

Hi, everyone

My hubby and I have stared with the immigration process....

I've booked to take the IELTS Academic test as I will be the main applicant with my skill/occupation being on the SOL

Now my question is regarding my hubby... does he need to take the IELTS General test for our/my Visa application? (our first language is Afrikaans). Will his results contribute to the "Partner Skills" portion of the points/assessment calculation for my Visa application?

Regards

Edited by LSRoxy

My understanding is if your spouse has been educated (either an English high school or done a degree in English) in English then he can just get a letter from that establishment to prove that. If not then he needs to do the general IELTS.

• Like 1

Agree with Tazzn. My wife got a letter from her high school to state that her tuition was in English. As she studied at Stellenbosch Uni, some classes were in Afrikaans so the uni did not want to give her a letter saying tuition was in English.

• Like 1

Thank you, Tazzn & 1978...

I've booked for hubby to take the General test as he was educated in Afrikaans.

Did he do English as a second language? You only have to prove competency in english unless you want to claim points for him. If he wrote an English paper in matric and his school would be prepared to sign and stamp a letter, you could get away with til you could word the letter yourself and just get them to print to on a letter head.

We decided to play it safe and so my husband wrote the IELTS General exam, even though I'm not claiming partner points. In order to claim those 5 points, there are 3 criteria: age, English proficiency and positive skills assessment. Depending on your profession, you only need 60 points. My agent told me there is no point paying an extra $1500 for my husbands skills assessment and that it could cause more issues if something is missing etc...however he did say IELTS for my husband was a good idea so I would recommend your husband does it too. By the way, I'm applying for a 189 visa - my in laws went via a 457 to PR and my mom-in-law didn't need IELTS as she provided a letter from her school. So the visa type makes a difference :)