Be interesting to know how this pans out into other sectors

chzaau

So you or your children study to become a teacher and then they can't find a job http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/graduate-glut-puts-trainee-teachers-on-the-scrapheap-20141019-115wa4.html

It would be interesting to see how this might look across other industries and sectors, to see if there is also an "over-supply" of people especially young people who have intvested a lot of time studying who can't find a job because there just aren't enough jobs in Australia for them.

Chzaau the teacher situation came about because of the GFC. Baby boomer teachers who were expected to be starting to retire opted to stay in the workforce because of the drop in value of their superannuation. So the planned training rate of replacement teachers hit a bottle neck. It has specifically hit teaching more than other sectors because teaching has much fewer employers and people don't go off and start their own school if they can't find a job. Unlike say an accountant or lawyer who could opt to go into business on their own if they chose to.

• Like 1

I have good news for them - aged care is exploding, so a few bridging modules and they're set! :D

• Like 3

There is more to this issue than is what is in the article. Most importantly there are not enough maths and science teachers. Also there are not enough schools, which is why both Victoria and Western Australia (and presumably Qsld and NSW) are building more. But as the article says you need to be flexible about where you teach - not everyone can teach at the primary school down the road.

Bit like South Africa having qualified teachers from Zim but refusing to acknowledge them while local teachers fail to teach. No country is perfect.

The GFC happened over 5 years ago. I'm just puzzeled how they can keep on saying we have a shortage of teachers and keep inviting people to apply to get a visa when they will most probably not get a job as a teacher. Obviously in NSW alone they say they have 44 thousand who do not have a perm job.

This basically just says that the visa numbers and the reality are so far apart from one another, the system not reflective of the economy or the job market. It is a bit unfair just to expect people to come over to Oz when they assume they will be a teacher for instance to only find out sorry we actually need cheap manual labour.

They now saying they want to open up the flood gates of the 457 program again. Look I suppose their could be method in the madness, one way to bring down wages is to get a lot of people in who are prepared to want to work for cheap, thereby driving wages down, so if you want to work in Oz you have to compete with that as well. Then on the 457 visa you can "hide" the unemployment rate or massage it because folks on a 457 only have 90 days to find a new job or get out. So they don't count to the employment stats either.

Visas for primary school teachers have been closed for quite some time. Only specific high school subject teachers and kindergarten / early years teachers can apply now

• Like 2

Hmmm, not sure I have heard of teachers coming over on a 457 visa.

I know a couple of SA teachers here, they are employed.

I also know of people who have used teaching as the skill to get the visa but never used it once here.

I would also take the SMH with a pinch of salt, it loves sensationalist reporting.

• Like 1

Also a teaching degree takes 4 years so those graduates had just started when GFC hit so it's not so strange that it was 5 years ago. In fact the article is perfectly timed. Graduates from four years ago have spent a year looking for work and are now making headlines.

Oh and yes no 457 for teachers because there is no need.

It's amazing how much airtime this guy still gets.

I understand that Aus left you bitter Chzaau, you have a right to be. It did not work out for you, for whatever reason(please share as it might make a big difference to someone else who is still looking at going over), you came back and you are happy now. Good for you mate, I really hope you find happiness. This is a sincere wish, no sarcasm.

But to just sit in SA and post negatives about the country is not helping anyone. For every 'bad' post you post, there are countless more about South Africa with a far bleaker outlook. My wife is a qualified foundation phase teacher and I can assure you, the shituation is worse here, and yes, before you say, but what about Aus? I have family there too, who are teachers, making a killing and really enjoy being teachers with better salaries then I would earn once there and I am in the Civil Engineering industry. Please, before you go off about the engineering downfall in Aus, I know, I did my homework and educated myself about what's going on. I already started to change my bearing and heading into a different direction to get myself more in-tune with what work for me. I will make it work in Aus, I do not want to become another statistic again in SA, it has happened before and I'm out before it can befall us again.

Hell, a friend of ours, got a job from SA to go and work in Aus. Getting any kind of job offshore is grossly unheard of, let alone a teaching job? To post an article, with the sole purpose of scaremongering from the media, and no solid evidence to back it up is not going to get us anywhere.

Thank you for trying to shed light on the situation in Aus, it is not a perfect place to be and for some time they have lived in a 'bubble' which is being threatened by some real life problems. I for one, try and see it from both sides, but for me at the moment the cons are far less and the pro's.

Cheers

• Like 3

This article seems to indicate there are teachers on 457 visa especially in the early childhood development, so they getting through the cracks some how ... http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/foreign-teachers-on-457-visas-worsen-graduate-glut-20141020-118x9m.html

See, this is what everyone is complaining about.

I try to engage you in a discussion and quite frankly asked you for help, but instead you just spew another BS article.

Go well bud, you really need to go speak to someone about what is bothering you so much, it will consume you.

Edited by Bigvan07
  • Like 2

Hey have any of you seen the new season of the walking dead? I think it's the scariest of the seasons so far!

It's so well cast. If I use me imagination it feels like I'm back in South Africa when I watch it!

Edited by elleneo
  • Like 2

The schools in my area alone Perth - SOR are expanding and building more classrooms. If there is an oversupply I suspect it won't be the case for very long!

Chzaau, go get a job in the South African Post Office mate... Then you'll get an understanding of over supply and redundancy.

• Like 3

This article seems to indicate there are teachers on 457 visa especially in the early childhood development, so they getting through the cracks some how ... http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/foreign-teachers-on-457-visas-worsen-graduate-glut-20141020-118x9m.html

Well, if you read the article it explains why there is a need.

I think this is a fair article for discussion on this forum. Someone still thinking about moving to Aus might use this information to make a more educated decision about moving.

This is not Chzaau making up this news, it is the news.

Teachers are also able to start their own businesses in the form of daycare and aftercare services.... at $100 plus per day per child (in our area), it looks like a good business to me.

As for 457 visa`s if I had a business I would consider "using" the system to bring over a friend/family member if they were interested in coming over...

Hey bigvan07,

I see an opening for an SA based good news spokesperson for the new nuclear deal...know what I mean...? :blush-anim-cl: Someone who can tell SA and the world what a good idea it is to hang a trillion plus Rand deal around the necks of the poor tax payers....

• Like 1

@Tiermelk

I never insinuated that chzaau made the news up and I do agree with you that it is a fair point to discuss, but as you can see in all posts chzaau just links an article and returns into a hole and not engage in conversation, I for one are very interest in what he/she has to say as the teacher's topic hits very close to home.

I can also link articles about why you need to leave SA, I am pretty sure enough to crash the server. At the moment, to Australians, everything is doom and gloom as they have been booming and only now start facing 'real' problems with their economy slowing down and adjustments needing to be made. But instead of playing the not my job or I'm not responsible games, the people there will look for solutions and work towards solving it. Here? Oh, let's just sweep it under the rug, next election, we will get voted in again because of your promises we will never deliver on. Aus on the other hand again, hey our government is not working for us, let us vote for another party and see what they are capable of.

We are looking into starting a daycare facility or daycare mother(apparently easier and less regulations) for my wife, but, as with everything in Aus unfortunately it is heavy over regulated and damn near impossible, but we are stubborn enough to make it work.

I hear what you are saying regarding the 457's. It is an interesting plan, but do you think it is possible? Too scared they will catch you as there is a lot of criteria to adhere to. My brother-in-law is starting his up next year, will probably go into business with him as our fields are somewhat related.

@Surferman

They tried it and look what happened http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Mthembu-shot-in-the-face-during-robbery-cops-20141020

(Disclaimer: This is meant as a joke and I in no way support violence on anyone, regardless of gender or race)

• Like 1

Teachers are also able to start their own businesses in the form of daycare and aftercare services.... at $100 plus per day per child (in our area), it looks like a good business to me.

Actually they can't. Red tape and licensing being what it is. Best they can do is family day care in their own home (with landlord's permission if renting) and the number of kids is capped at a very low number (5 I think but it differs by state). You also have to remember that a government job is highly prized so most would rather wait for a job in a school than do family day care.

Hi Crisplet,

That is not accurate for WA. (Not sure where you are) I personally know a swag of mums who are teachers that run daycare and private teaching etc, with way more kids than that. I will agree the red tape is frigging something else, but the money is brilliant. The one chick I know pulls $95/kid/day and has 11 kids. Thats good money.

My missus is a teacher (and sports scientist) and she is going to homeschool next year. She has networked with these daycare folk as well.

I hear what you are saying regarding the 457's. It is an interesting plan, but do you think it is possible? Too scared they will catch you as there is a lot of criteria to adhere to. My brother-in-law is starting his up next year, will probably go into business with him as our fields are somewhat related.

I have spoken to someone once that came over working for a friend on 457 - he never said anything illegal was done, but I could read between the lines.

I have spoken to someone once that came over working for a friend on 457 - he never said anything illegal was done, but I could read between the lines.

It's not illegal but some of the behaviours by small players was questionable, which is why they cracked down on sponsors.

We came on a 457 and there was nothing illegal or illicit about it. We even came to work in a field which has a large number of graduates struggling to find jobs, but the specific skills we brought were hard to find here so no issue. I've never been told I deprived an Aussie of a job, I train too many of them!

• Like 1

Hahaah @ Sunnyskies,

Love that one girl! I also train Aussies, and indians, Saffers, you name it. I do lots of coaching and mentorship. mostly its enjoyable.