Lost immunization cards.....now what.

kseafield

Hi guys, I need some help here. Somewhere between immigrating from SA to NZ and finally to Aus, our kids "road to health" cards got lost and trying to get info from SA is nearly impossible. Does anyone have any useful advice on how to get around this problem. Our kids have been fully immunized but we have no records, has anyone been through this before?

Chat to a doctor to be sure, but from my understanding you can get the same immunization twice with no issues,

Perhaps get the kids re-immunized?

I think it is free if you in Auz

I think you will have to follow Nev's advice. No one in SA keeps a record of what immunisation has been given it is only on the card.

Maybe time for a big search!

Remember that if your children are over 7 the record of immunisation is not kept on the government register in Australia either. But you can get the doctor who does the immunisation to reprint the record as they put it on file.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe check with your medical aid if you had them done in RSA and had medical aid. They should surely keep records

I had also 'lost' my son's immunisation card, which I have since found during my clearout process. I had sent an old incomplete copy to my son's new school in Perth, who had a few questions about dates of vaccinations etc, but have since sent them the recovered card. As I had delayed answering any emails, I was sent this.

If you have lost your son's record, or wish to record an exemption, please go to the
. If you are unsure of your son's level of protection, you will need to arrange for him to have a blood test that will check his levels of antibodies.

Hope it helps x

Thanks for the helpful answers, we however just got our family doctor to write a letter listing all the immunizations the kids got back home and that done the trick for us.

That works if you had all the vaccinations at one doctor. Most people have a blend between paediatrician, nurse, baby clinic, GP etc. I found no one kept a record but simply wrote on the card.

At least you don't have to worry anymore. This is an important record.

It's very important, however I have since got an email back from the school nurse to say that I will have to take my son to the Immunisation Clinic in Perth when we arrive in January, so that they can check his immunisation history, and if it doesn't comply with the Australian schedule, he will have to have blood tests to confirm immunity prior to school starting in Feb. Very frustrating and annoying!