VACCINE REQUIREMENTS FOR A 457 VISA

RVT

Hi Everyone

For religious and moral reasons my 3 year old son is not vaccinated. We are about to apply for a 457 visa, I know that vaccines are not mandatory in Aus but would like to know whether they ask for vaccination cards when you apply.

Has anyone else applied with a child that has not been vaccinated? Did they say anything (we would like to be prepared).

I know all the ins and outs about applying with schools and have found a school that is on board with our views, so that is not a problem. Because our decision is based on religious and moral grounds, I do not want to debate our decision on this forum.

Thanks so much.

Hey RVT, we were never ask for a vaccination card during the application process, the only time we needed it was for centrelink and applying for the child care rebate but that you can only do if you are on a PR visa anyway. Also haven't heard of anyone having to supply a vaccination card for a 457 application.

We were asked by the panel dr (in Cape Town) to bring proof of it, but then was never looked at for the medical....

The state schools have asked for it when we enrol. But it is not mandatory to be vaccinated. But, we were told, if there is an outbreak of a disease preventable by vaccination eg measels, then all kids that are not vaccinated will be asked to stay at home, and not allowed to come to school until the outbreak is over.

Whether that holds true in all schools or states, I dont know.

(Some private schools require all the vaccinations before enrolment)

If you want a childcare rebate(read: massive saving on childcare) on a PR visa all vaccinations need to be up to date. But as you have a 457 that wont be relevant until/if you want to get new visa.

Thanks so much, this is great to know. So if we applied for the 189 visa once we arrive we will be denied the child care rebate? Or can we get exemptions?

You will be denied as far as I understand.

Because if you choose to not vaccinate, it is your choice. And you are allowed to choose.

But similarly it is the choice of the government not to give you the rebate.

Oh bugger, human services says as per below. I suppose we will have to roll with the punches and see what happens. Thanks again.

Immunisation exemptions

If there is an approved reason why your child is not fully immunised and you want an immunisation exemption, you need to provide us with one of the following from your immunisation provider or doctor:

• an Immunisation exemption for medical reasons (contraindication) form
  • an Immunisation exemption by conscientious objection form, or
  • a letter explaining why the exemption is necessary

"Immunisation exemption conscientious objection form" would work. Need a Dr to sign it.

Oh goodness. What happens if I have misplaced my child's vaccination record?

No clue! Theoretically you might be asked to redo it all. Alternatively you could fill in the" I OBJECT!" form if you don't want them doing it all again - as if you did not do it at all. But in your case ask someone who def. knows before you make any decisions! I am not against immunizations or for them (each to their own), and don't want to start a debate but I don't think doing double of all would be good if it could be avoided.

• Like 1