medicals and tattoos

Not sure if this was just a 'Durban' thing but went for our medicals today and because hubby has tattoos he had to get his blood tested for Hepatitis... and we had to cough over an extra R400. All in all medicals for 3 (daughter didn't need bloods or xray) just over R5k.

YIKES

Its the same for everyone I've heard of the extra test for tattoos. Yup it sure is YIKES. :) Also the "take EVERYTHING off for the Dr"... and we did it twice!!

I wasn't asked and have never heard of an extra hep test for tattoos, from anybody with tattoos. Wonder if its a new thing to line someones pockets.

We didn't have to do that Mel... ours was ridiculous (in my opinion) for the amount of money. Nurse drew blood, weight, height and eye test. Dr asked medical history checked eyes, ears, glands in neck and took BP and that was that for R750!!!!!!!!!!!

It is common practice for anyone with tattoos or ear piercings, including ears......but some Dr's don't I guess, hepatitis and HIV tests are the norm for p.r. visas, aswell as the T.B. xray. I certainly did not have to take everything off.

Don't know about the tattoos (still need to do medicals). Thanks for the heads up on cost Tazzn - this is our next step and was wondering what kind of a bill to expect. Was there quite a wait to get an appointment in DBN?

Minks when I phoned about 2 weeks ago to make our appointment for yesterday she could have literally given me an appointment for the next day so you shouldn't ahve a problem. Just a caution, the lady told me we'd be very quick and to book our xray at 10 (our appointment at Dr was 9) but we only finished at the Dr at 10:45 (thankfully when I booked the xray i could only get an 11 am appointment). Not sure if the wait was because of the power outage but just so you are aware.

Okay super, thanks. Just waiting for the HAP number and then will phone!

Glad to hear you didn't have to "take EVERYTHING off" ... Was starting to have a mild panic attack (haha)

LOL Minks - only the blood test sucked. Oh and trying to get my daughter (2) to look inot the camera for the photo

• Like 1

I had my medical done in CT in May this year. They tested for HIV .... But I think this is standard. No mention of extra money for a hepatitis test due to me having tattoos.

Medicals booked!! Thursday 9th October... (may have a little cry over the rapidly decreasing bank balance!!)