Planning a trip to Red Centre

immi+

Hello.

I am hoping for some local knowledge and/or valuable tips from previous visitors.

We (2 adults, 2 kids) are planning a 9/10 day trip to Alice - Uluru - Kings Canyon - West MacDonnalls first week in March next year (to coincide with my big 40 ?)

Plan is to hire a 4WD in Alice.

Questions:

1. The car rentals offer camping gear for $15/day per person for "the lot". Since we won't need "the lot", is there any camping stores who rent out bits and pieces we will need, like camping stove, tarp and sleeping mats?

2. Landing at 13:30, will we have enough time to pick up rental, camp stuff and food, and make it to Rainbow valley before sunset (first night camping)

3. Which secluded, quiet, remote, bush camping (get the idea?) would you recommend in the West Macs - we have 3 nights to get from Kings Canyon back to Alice.

Thank you in advance for your tips and help.

Regards

BB

Hi immi I can't really help with specifics but we've been to Alice & Uluru via Coober Pedy (now that is a fascinating place!). I think you will want to stock up on groceries and water in Alice. We stayed at a cattle ranch between Alice & Uluru. They had a little shop but the stuff was very expensive because it's quite remote from shops (it was like $10 for bread in 2009, so buy in Alice ?). It might be handy to take fly-net hats.

If you can get hold of Tracy on here, she used to live there. Maybe PM her?

Also TripAdvisor is invaluable as you probably know.

It sounds absolutely amazing. Enjoy it.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co