Adelaide?

vanSchoorFamily

I desperately want to go to Melbourne, however, we decided to live where hubby gets work. He has been head-hunted by a gent in Adelaide ... Just want anyone's 2c about Adelaide?

Haven't heard much on this forum ...

I live outside Melbourne but have been to Adelaide quite a few times and it seems like a lovely city. It has a climate similar to Cape Town. Is not too big, easy to get around, easy access to beaches and countryside. From what I understand it has good school's, hospitals etc.

Have a look on this site. There is sure to be some useful information.

Regards

The Barossa Valley, which is wine country, is about an hours drive from Adelaide... to me that is a good enough reason to go there... absolutely loved it. If I had to live anywhere else except Melbourne it would be Adelaide, I really do like the place.

It's nickname is "The City of Churches".

I have a mate who grew up in Adelaide. He still loves the place. Its apparently it has quite a lot of natural beauty.

Adelaide is a "small city". So there aren't as much activities going on as in Sydney or Melbourne. For example, on any given weekend there are several theater plays going on across Sydney. In Adelaide you might have a far more limited selection.

From what I hear, Adelaide is a really good size. Melbourne and Sydney have endless problems with traffic jams...

https://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/24141838/melbourne-roads-among-countrys-worst-for-traffic-survey/

I know Adelaide is only sightly better according to the survey, but it is better.

We have been in Adelaide for the past one year. Simply Love it here!

Being not such a big city, everything is so accessible. Almost every location is practically no more than 30 to 40 minutes away (at the most). This past weekend, we drove to the Barossa Valley, visited a couple of wineries, took in the scenery and got home in time for supper. All done in an afternoon.

We have friends who live in Melbourne and when ever they want to take their kids to the beach it is a two hour drive. For us it is 20 minutes from most suburbs.

Cost of living and real estate is pretty low compared to the bigger cities.

There is plenty to do here. The Festival Centre and the Entertainment Centre has always got something or the other happening.

Not to mention the Cafe culture here.

Earning potentials may not be up there with the bigger cities and job opportunities limited. But can't beat the quality of life as far as we are concerned.

Can only echo what the others have said.

Adelaide is just the right size. We would have moved there but couldn't see ourselves getting well paid jobs. If you can find decent work there then that's half the battle won!

Sure, it doesn't have as many events as the bigger cities, but it has plenty going for it ... As long as the economy holds up!

I desperately want to go to Melbourne, however, we decided to live where hubby gets work. He has been head-hunted by a gent in Adelaide ... Just want anyone's 2c about Adelaide?

Haven't heard much on this forum ...

Where do you live at the moment & what type of industry will your husband be in? Adelaide is good if you find work, but big-city people might struggle. We moved after 4 years, it was just too small for us. But that was possibly more due to me being a rolling stone than Adelaide being at fault ;) Edited by Bronwyn&Co

Where do you live at the moment & what type of industry will your husband be in? Adelaide is good if you find work, but big-city people might struggle. We moved after 4 years, it was just too small for us. But that is more due to me being a rolling stone than Adelaide being at fault ;)

We currently live in JHB and both of us works in the Motor Industry (Workshop). I think we might be sticking to Melbourne, I just think its a safer option.

We currently live in JHB and both of us works in the Motor Industry (Workshop). I think we might be sticking to Melbourne, I just think its a safer option.

Go where you find jobs. Adelaide is like a smaller version of Melbourne imho. It also has strange weather, trams, theatre, good unis and good eating out. Much less traffic too.

Going where we get a job is most def what we are going to do. We are trying not to leave until we found hubby a Job.

Thanks for the advise

• Like 1