Thinking about making the move

NickiD

Hey everyone

Thanks for letting me join this forum :)

So, my husband (who is an Australian citizen) and I, and our two children are considering making the move to Australia. As I understand it, because my husband has an Aussie passport and citizenship, I just need to apply for a partner/spouse visa + visas for our children. Obviously ALL of the documents etc that go along with that - which I have read about in your handy "100 steps" post.

What we need to find more info out about is the conversion of my husband's law degrees to allow him to practice in Melbourne - the city in which we'd like to settle.

Does anyone have any good advice in terms of the process that needs to be followed?

Many thanks in advance - I have read a whole bunch of your posts and really find everything to be so positive and helpful!

NickiD

Hi NickiD

I can't help with your question. But just to say welcome here, and best of luck with your plans and choices. I think you are in the right spot. There's a couple of very bright people here... Best regards.

Hi NickiD,

I can't answer the qualifications question, but can say that you are correct having been through the same process with my wife and 2 kids.

You will apply for a 309 visa and add your children to your application, and pay for all 3. The costs at application was R47,000 for my wife and 2 kids.

Your husband will sponsor you. His qualifications, as far getting the VISA are not in question. Aus doesn't car what he does, you'll only need it for finding employment that side. You can start the process without needing his qualifications.

And yes, there is a lot of paperwork, at last count it was 170+ pages! But the process is simple, we didn't use and agent, just filled in the forms as required and did it ourselves.

If you have any questions, just shout!

Cheers

Matt

• Like 1

Below is the link for the Victoria Law Society, I suggest you make contact with them and get the information you need from them.

http://www.liv.asn.au/

Welcome to the forum Nicki

If your husband is an Australian citizen his (your) children may be eligible for Australian citizenship by descent?

Edited by TeeTMI

Yes, meant to say, as TeeMi shared, if your husband has actually lived in Australia (unlike me) for more than 2 years a across his life then your kids might be eligible for their own citizenship by descent.

Cheers

Matt

Hi Nicki

Ditto what TeeTMI and Matt said about your kids being eligible for citizenship.

My husband and son are Australian citizens and I have recently been through the 309 Partner (Provisional) visa process. I was actually granted the subclass 100 (Permanent) on account of being married for more than 2 years and having a child together.

I also did it without an agent. As Matt said, it's simple but time consuming, so best to get started as soon as you can.

All the best with the application and sorting out your husband's qualifications!

Cheers

Dill

Depending on what law your husband practices and his level of experience he may be able to get a job before he converts his degree. He can work provided he is supervised by an Australian qualified lawyer.

• Like 1